Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After maximizing the handlebars as far foward as they can go (to fit 6'2") the left side mirror is blocked with the switch pod. they could be a bit higher.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Butt stop removal

You were lucky if you got those screws out in 60 seconds. They were ridiculously tight on my 650. I love the improvement in legroom. I bought two black plastic hole covers at the hardware store to fill in the holes where the butt stop rods slide in - I think they were 7/8" size. The left one falls out occasionally, but it usually ends up on the seat & I just push it back in.

I never had any problem viewing the mirrors. They are pretty low, but they work fine for me (I am 6'6"). And they stay in adjustment, unlike the lousy mirrors on my Suzuki V-Strom.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you replace the back rest. I did that on my 400 and cut new slots in the bars and picked up 1/2" and reconfigured the back pad and picked up another 1". I do need the back rest for my back. The 650 has much more room starting out that the 400, and I was reluctant to start modifying the seat if I didn't have to. So far so good.

G

·
0 Posts
OOO no I didn't replace it- I do have trouble maintaining good posture though- backrest or not. I have to consciously keep scooting my rear all the way back so that I don't get into the "cruiser slump" or my back kills me! I sit that way in my dang computer chair too, though, I just have to break the habit :)

If my hiney is all the way back, it forces me into that semi-fetal position that is 'correct'- a TON of my older customers (up to 91!) have been told by their doctors that they needed to ditch the Barcalounger bikes and get something better suited to help their backs and necks, and we've had no less than three K1200RS's sold to age 70+ riders to RELIEVE back pain. Sportbikes have a riding position that may LOOK painful ("I don' wanna be all bent over like that") but I SLEEP in that position! I hate to be cliche, but that riding position is kinda like sex. Once you get used to the superb control you have on a sportbike, it's QUITE hard to ride standards, scooters and tourers, and impossible to feel safe on a cruiser. That said, there are extremes- the Kawasaki ZX-7 has always been atrociously front-end biased. You guys ever ridden a Triumph Speed Triple? WOOHOO! I sit bolt upright on one of those, like on a Honda Nighthawk 750. Love it!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Jim's mirrors

Hi Jim,

You can buy handlebar raisers that will raise the height and offset to or from the rider, have a look ...

Rgds Greg ...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You have to be careful what u put between the IMG brackets . If you notice your post has rgds Greg included between the brackets. Other than that you have makings of a picture poster :D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Allwalk - Hey Greg did you mean these

RRRRRR thats how you do it silly me :oops:

Thanks for " Photo posting 101 class "

Greg ...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the tip.....

Just got back from the garage. I pulled the driver backrest off as suggested. Gave me another two inches to scoot back, improved view of the mirrors, and MUCHO more comfort. Now I gotta find a way to block the holes. Maybe I can have the appropriate size tubing fitted with some endcaps, cut a slot, slip them in and click into place. Also, I will investigate re-covering the seat, re-contouring by removing the seat back "bump", and maybe cover in sheepskin. I HATE black seats in the summer.

Also, I just ordered my daughter a jacket, chaps and gloves. She wants me to take her to school on the Burgy. She's ten, and I took her to summer school every day last summer on the V-Star. It was only two blocks, but the new school is several miles, and I want her in some protection. I found a helmet last year, Youth XXS, believe it or not, at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
611 Posts
move the handlebars?

Was it hard to move the handlebars? I didn't realize they were adjustable. I tried removing the seat, and stripped one of the screws. :x I'll have to tak an easy-out to it - because now I'm really determined to remove the hump.

Hey - has anyone swapped the 650 left control handle with one from a 400? I don't like/want the mode and manual shift, and the buttons just get in the way...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: move the handlebars?

Robert said:
Was it hard to move the handlebars? I didn't realize they were adjustable. I tried removing the seat, and stripped one of the screws. :x I'll have to tak an easy-out to it - because now I'm really determined to remove the hump.

Hey - has anyone swapped the 650 left control handle with one from a 400? I don't like/want the mode and manual shift, and the buttons just get in the way...
The handlebar bolts are extremely tight. We tried to adjust the handlebars on a 650 at Scootercade and could not budge them using a good quality allen wrench.

Wiring a different handlebar pod would be a challenge - there are LOTS of wires running into that left pod. And although most of use don't use Manual Mode much, Power Mode can be extremely useful when riding tight curvy roads, I would not want to lose it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
650 Mirrors

The only complaint I have with the 650 is the mirror height. Has anyone found a mirror that can sit on top of the ones that are installed? I was riding my 400 today and really realized that I have much better vision with it than the 650. I am 5'7" and I have to lean down to look at the mirrors. I know it has to be a problem for you guys who are taller. I just installed a J&M CB and the left mirror is covered quite a bit now. But, if I could put a mirror on top of the existing ones, that would solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I like where my 650's mirrors are. When I look at them, I see a bit of my grip and arm, and the view of the road behind me is underneath that. Works well for me at 5'10".

·
Registered
123 Posts
Paul, They only come in black, so I had to order silver paint, but that isn't any big deal. A friend of mine put the J&M CB on and did a great job. But, like I said earlier, the left mirror is basically useless, unless I want to lean pretty far to the left. We were going to put it on the brake reservoir, but it just didn't look right and it was too high. So he fashioned a bracket that attaches to the brake handle bracket. The plastic molding had to be cut a little, but you don't notice it. The trigger to the CB is just right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One question about the electric mirrors on my 2006 burgman 650 executive. How do you adjust the mirrors (left, right, up, down)?

I just can not figure it out...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts