Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are motorcycle geniuses on here. So, who has solved the problem with the mirrors on the 650? When I have my bike loaded, I simply can't see behind me. There's got to be something out there.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I’m no genius but I have pulled a u-turn at a Holiday Inn Express a time or two.

You might think about getting mirrors that replace your bar end weights or getting a small trailer. Dave_J once met a guy that hauled his boat with a B650.

You could also get some secondary mirrors that would mount on the outside of the stock mirrors sorta like how pick-up trucks have tow mirror extensions.

https://smile.amazon.com/DC-Universal-Mirror-Vehicle-Motorcycle/dp/B01COT2CNC/ref=sr_1_85?keywords=motorcycle+mirror+extensions&qid=1573788940&sr=8-85

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use those mirrors mentioned above. I used 3M two side tape, helps alot for visibility. I like the mirrors on my 400 better

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I simply pack better. My CTX allowed me to pack all my dry bags long ways on the pillion so they didn't extend past my body at all. But I still have the factory back rest on my Burgman. I did get rid of my biggest long dry bag. My next biggest dry bag (yellow) packs to 24 inches long and lays across the pillion side to side on the bottom of the stack. My tent dry bag (black- tent packs in its own bag to keep all other stuff dry if the tent is wet when I pack up) sits on top of that but it also is only 22-24 inches long. I have one more dry bag (blue and black) that is long and skinny for my self-inflating mattress that ends up being 26-27 inches long. The way I pack these is with the longest on top, and behind my tent bag. It also happens to be the lightest. This way I can see past all the dry bags. Actually under the long bag since it is packed higher than my view from the mirrors. I can just barely see both ends of my big bag that is packed on the bottom of the stack but it hangs out about the same as the passenger grip/handles so no big deal with seeing past that. Stock mirrors work great with this setup.

Oh, BTW, I use ROK straps to tie it all on the scoot. They work way better than bungee cords and keep things tighter and are more reliable. Soft loops on ends so no scratches on the hook points on the scoot. I'm not certain I even need a tunnel bag since the white small dry bag works well in that place as seen in the photos here... then again I may put up the cash to get one anyway just 'cuz :)

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I simply pack better. My CTX allowed me to pack all my dry bags long ways on the pillion so they didn't extend past my body at all. But I still have the factory back rest on my Burgman. I did get rid of my biggest long dry bag. My next biggest dry bag (yellow) packs to 24 inches long and lays across the pillion side to side on the bottom of the stack. My tent dry bag (black- tent packs in its own bag to keep all other stuff dry if the tent is wet when I pack up) sits on top of that but it also is only 22-24 inches long. I have one more dry bag (blue and black) that is long and skinny for my self-inflating mattress that ends up being 26-27 inches long. The way I pack these is with the longest on top, and behind my tent bag. It also happens to be the lightest. This way I can see past all the dry bags. Actually under the long bag since it is packed higher than my view from the mirrors. I can just barely see both ends of my big bag that is packed on the bottom of the stack but it hangs out about the same as the passenger grip/handles so no big deal with seeing past that. Stock mirrors work great with this setup.

Oh, BTW, I use ROK straps to tie it all on the scoot. They work way better than bungee cords and keep things tighter and are more reliable. Soft loops on ends so no scratches on the hook points on the scoot. I'm not certain I even need a tunnel bag since the white small dry bag works well in that place as seen in the photos here... then again I may put up the cash to get one anyway just 'cuz :)
The view is not so much a packing issue. After much trial and error, I've got it pretty tight. But I do lose about 10% of my view in the mirrors. That 10% is on top of, in my opinion, a poor view. I have never liked the position of the 650 mirrors.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I love the 2006 mirrors but I’m changing out the peel and stick Blind Spot Mirrors for the ones I linked to. I hate changing lanes without knowing exactly what’s behind me.

mreaglewon idea of a rear camera has me thinking.... I seen a unit that records front and back and gives you a 4’’x4’’ monitor in a conventional auto rear view mirror .

With the wife’s new Subaru the back up camera output is on the dash but I’m always using the conventional mirror.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here's a solution

I know there are motorcycle geniuses on here. So, who has solved the problem with the mirrors on the 650? When I have my bike loaded, I simply can't see behind me. There's got to be something out there.
Not cheap like spot mirrors, but you get what you pay for. Saeng has a lot of good stuff.

https://saeng.com/product/quick-scans/

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I got the secondary mirrors and installed one and I don’t like it ....too much vibration. The stock mirrors on the 06 B650 are superior in every way.

Thanks to Tonio50 I googled and went to ReevuAmerica to research the helmet with the rear view mirror...
They have a sale going on now for the Hi-Viz for $200. Definitely worth looking into.

https://reevuamerica.com/product/reevu-msx-1-hi-viz-motorcycle-helmet/

Reactions: Gene563

·
Registered
4 Posts
Side Cases and Handlebars.

If it's the side cases blocking your view, try switching them from side to side. I have the Givi cases and I thought they looked right. One day I switched them unintentionally and I could see just fine from then on. Another consideration is if your trying to look through your elbows you can pivot the handlebar up slightly. You need to look through a very small area to see behind you and as everyone knows an inch can make a world of difference.

I tried end mirrors on the handlebar ends and even hooked up a cheap rear view camera for a while. I found both very annoying but functional. Neither worked as well for me as using the regular mirrors.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have always found one very important tip that I learned for my side mirrors on the car... and applies almost the same on my bike.

NEVER adjust the mirrors so that you see directly behind you in the CENTER of the mirror. That creates a very large blind spot just off either side and you really don't need to see the sides of your car (or motorcycle for that matter). For cars my side mirrors are set so that the only time I see the side of my own car is if I turn my head with my chin over my shoulder on that side. The center inside mirror is for directly behind and the side mirrors are to cover just off each side. This way I see traffic behind me in the center mirror, then if they are passing in the next lane I see them in my side mirror before they are completely out of the center mirror, and then before they are completely out of the side mirror view I can see them in my peripheral vision out the side or very easily slightly turn my head to look and can see them. ALMOST NO blind spot this way and you should ALWAYS turn your head to verify traffic next to you whether in cage or bike. This is a very big reason I hate all the new fangled "safety" features like collision avoidance and side warning signals on newer cars... they tend more to make drivers complacent and lazy about paying attention and actually driving skillfully than to improve safety.

On my bike it works similar only there is no center mirror (unless you have lots of money for one of those rear view helmet setups). My bike mirrors are set to show me directly behind me only in the very inside edge of each mirror. I can see my grips in the very top inside corner of the mirrors which is the same on every bike I've owned with fairing mounted mirrors like my GW, ST, CTX and Burgman 650. I can also see the passenger handles in the lower inside edge of the mirrors as well as any dry bag I may have packed on the pillion (usually not any wider than the passenger handles). This view behind me overlaps from one mirror to the other. Most of my mirrors on the bike show me just off each side of me. As I mentioned it is VERY IMPORTANT to turn your head to see beside you when needed, but with the mirrors adjusted this way I really don't need to turn my head all that much since I have a very wide view from the mirrors... especially on the Burgman 650 which has very large mirrors compared with almost any bike with bar mounted mirrors. There is more than enough mirror area to show everything I need to see and even more so there is no issue IMHO if I see my grips/hands or any of what I have packed on the inside edges.

Of course this all depends on you. How tall or short you are in the saddle. Handlebars can be adjusted up or down or risers may be added to improve your view TO the mirrors as well as your view FROM the mirrors. Most bikes don't have handle bar covers to mess with but it depends on you and how you need to adjust the bars to decide to keep the cover or ditch it and go with bare bars.

Most of this is, of course, IMO. Excepting how to adjust the mirrors for your car which comes from more than one safety article I read about how to properly adjust mirrors (read about it a very long time ago so don't have links at this time).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Web search "BikeMaster Handlebar Mirror Adapters for Lever Brackets - T2". Get a pair of these (they come with 8mm or 10mm thread for the mirrors) and a pair of universal long-stem mirrors (e.g., Emgo) in the same thread. Drill a hole in the plastic handlebar cover for the mirror stem. I've used these for years; it's a major improvement.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Those Bikemaster mirror brackets will bolt on to replace the left and right master cylinder brackets.
Mirror Bracket.jpg

Then using long stalk mirrors like 99% of all motorcycles you just screw them on. Yes you will need to drill a hole in the 650's handlebar cover for this.

And yes you will have both type mirrors.

Reactions: hscohen

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use BikeMaster Handlebar Mirror Adapters for Lever Brackets and Emgo Universal Screw-In Mount Mirror - Long Stem on both left and right. The adapter fits in place of the existing half-clamp; you just have to cut or drill a little of the tupperware handlebar cover to poke the mirror stem through. Make sure you order matching stem size (8mm or 10mm) for the adapter and the mirror. The left side is not reverse-threaded, so the wind loosens it. Once I had it properly aligned, I epoxied the mirror stem threads into the adapter.
I LOVE these mirrors. The stock mirrors on the 650 are a very bad design.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
On my 2003-2008 AN650's with my Givi top box and two Givi E21 side cases I can still see the Cop Car behind me. I only see a small part of mt elbows but a quick shrug of the shoulders and I see fine. YMMV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts