Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but I wasn't able to find much on it.

I was wondering, especially for those of you that ride (or have had) both the 400 and 650, do you find you have a preference in the mirrors? From my very limited experience it seems that it would be easier to use the 650 mirrors that are closer to the controls and hands, or is it just something you can get used to regardless? Just curious, mirrors won't make or break which direction I go but it is a factor. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I like the mirror position my 650 better than my 400. But that is a personal preference. It has been discussed on here before and there were fans of both configurations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think I prefer the 650 mirrors. Although I don't have a 400, I do have a Honda Silverwing and it's mirrors are much like those on a 400 and I much prefer those on my 650 Burgman. I find them easier to see traffic beside me and out of the way as I enjoy the view going down the highway.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've had both and I like the 650 much better. It's much easier to use when backing up as they don't turn with the handlebars.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The 400s are ugly. Looks like they made the whole bike and then someone said, "I think we forgot something. Go check what leftover stock we have from the 1970s" and slapped them on.

That being said, I like the 400s better. The 650s give you a very clear view of your elbows, however they are larger.

I like the handle bar mounting on the 400. At stop lights, you can swing the bars left to right and get a pretty good picture of what's happening behind you. The 650 you can only see what is directly behind.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
One good thing about the 400's mirrors - if you don't like them, change them. That isn't possible with the 650. I don't care for the style of my 400's mirrors{like Liam said from the 70's} and plan on changing them to something better looking. They do however work well once you get them adjusted which is a pain with the nut that locks the mirror itself. I prefer ones that can be easily and quickly adjusted when needed, even if they can be bumped out of place.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
That being said, I like the 400s better. The 650s give you a very clear view of your elbows, however they are larger.
You're taller than I am. I get an excellent view of my brake levers and gloves, instead. :) I've often considered putting convex spot mirrors in the inside top corners to get some use out of that part of the mirrors, but never bothered.
I like the handle bar mounting on the 400. At stop lights, you can swing the bars left to right and get a pretty good picture of what's happening behind you. The 650 you can only see what is directly behind.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wonder if Suzuki changed the 400's mirrors between K6 and K7? When I ride my GF's 400SK6, all the mirrors show me is my shoulders and upper arms. It's the only thing I really hate about that bike. OTOH, my 650's mirrors are great ... show me everything I want to see and nothing that I don't want to see. And because of their position and design, nothing can bump them (for example, my elbows) and throw them out of adjustment. I'm big, 6'-02" and 46" chest ... my GF is much smaller but she still complains about the 400's mirrors.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can just see a very small portion of the brake levers in my mirrors on the 650, which is not a distraction to me. Just wondering if the levers can be rotated somewhat like on most bikes, or do the handlebars have those small dimples in them where they can't be moved. I personally won't mess with mine, because it is working just fine for me, but others may want to re-adjust if possible.

John

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've often considered putting convex spot mirrors in the inside top corners to get some use out of that part of the mirrors, but never bothered.
Mine had the spot mirrors on it when I got it. Didn't like them and took them off. Weren't helpful for me. I then got http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AUXILIARY-BLIND-SPOT-IN-WIDE-VIEW-MIRROR-X-SMALL-SIDE-2ND-CLIP-ON-REARVIEW-R-/121287141613?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3d46e8ed&vxp=mtr but I found them distraction and little help. I took them off.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Mine had the spot mirrors on it when I got it. Didn't like them and took them off. Weren't helpful for me. I then got http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AUXILIARY-BLIND-SPOT-IN-WIDE-VIEW-MIRROR-X-SMALL-SIDE-2ND-CLIP-ON-REARVIEW-R-/121287141613?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3d46e8ed&vxp=mtr but I found them distraction and little help. I took them off.
My wife, my son and wife love those Auxiliary Blind Spot in Wide View Mirrors - on our cars. I am indifferent to them although I do have to admit that I have a big blind spot on my passenger side of my Honda Element and the Wide View Mirrors help there.

Question: Has anyone tried bar end mirrors on our bikes?

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Having ridden a 650 for the past 6 years, I can say I do not like low position of the 650's mirrors at all. I do not like taking my eyes off the road to look over and down...that's my only beef with my 650.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I had a 400 for about 5 months before the 650, and I still prefer the 400 mirror height. Like Quantium, I didn't need to take my eyes off the road to use mirrors.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I like both! I found that I could not see traffic directly behind me in the 650's mirrors. So I added flag type mirrors to the MCL reservoir covers using the holes intended for RAM mounts. Now, I focus the OEM mirrors all the way out so I see cars in my rear quarter until they appear in my peripheral vision without turning my head. The flag mirrors give me good visibility to the rear. It's seldom that I need to even turn my head to be able to see all of the traffic around me.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I like both! I found that I could not see traffic directly behind me in the 650's mirrors. So I added flag type mirrors to the MCL reservoir covers using the holes intended for RAM mounts. Now, I focus the OEM mirrors all the way out so I see cars in my rear quarter until they appear in my peripheral vision without turning my head. The flag mirrors give me good visibility to the rear. It's seldom that I need to even turn my head to be able to see all of the traffic around me.
Interesting. I may have to buy a second MCL reservoir cover now OR I may try bar end mirrors first. I am still undecided but am going to do something. I see just fine when I am riding solo but when my wife and I are two up I find that her legs block some of my view on my 650.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts