Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use a set of Yamaha FZ8 mirrors on my B400. The B400 mirrors and the FZ8 mirrors I want to use are both 10mm.

All Yamaha right side mirrors are counter clockwise threaded so I will need to find an adapter for the right side of the B400 that has a standard 10mm bolt portion with a 10 mm reverse or counter clockwise female socket to screw the Yamaha mirror into.

In addition, to keep both mirrors level, I'll need an adapter for the left side of the B400 that has a 10mm standard threaded bolt and a 10mm standard threaded socket for the left side mirror.

Now my question is, where do I find such adapters? I've found 10mm to 8mm adapters but not 10mm to 10mm yet.

Bill

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul, the boss or mount for the mirrors is a 1 piece casting mount for the mirrors, brake levers, and brake reservoir. Immediately under the mirror mount is the plunger for the brake lever.

·
Administrator
18,701 Posts
You could see if there are any "Lefty tighty, Righty loosie" 10 mm Helacoils in the Yamaha mirrors thread pitch. Then just drill and oversize tap the right one for Helacoil. Normal is "Righty tighty" but there are a lot of applications that use revere threads.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If you get a set of mirror extenders for a Yamaha they will have the reverse threads you need for the right mirror. Then use regular 10mm cap screws to mount them to your scooter. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/yamaha-mirror-extenders
I have done this before for the same reason.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks model28a,
I never thought of that... I emailed the ebay site you provided about adapters for what I want to do and they said not available so the extenders appear to be the only option.
Bill...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
There are numerous people selling mirror extenders. I don't have any experience with the suppliers in the link I gave, I just used it as an example. They may be good, they may not be I don't know. I will say if you use mirror extenders use stainless steel cap screws.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If you get a set of mirror extenders for a Yamaha they will have the reverse threads you need for the right mirror. Then use regular 10mm cap screws to mount them to your scooter. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/yamaha-mirror-extenders
I have done this before for the same reason.
Right-hand Yamaha mirror extenders must have left-hand thread on the male thread as well, otherwise they wouldn't fit a Yamaha. So you would need a left-handed nut.

Yamaha's idea is that the right-hand mirror, like the left-hand mirror, will turn loose if it hits something, instead of turning the handlebars and making the bike turn abruptly away from the obstacle and into an even worse obstacle.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Right-hand Yamaha mirror extenders must have left-hand thread on the male thread as well, otherwise they wouldn't fit a Yamaha. So you would need a left-handed nut.

Yamaha's idea is that the right-hand mirror, like the left-hand mirror, will turn loose if it hits something, instead of turning the handlebars and making the bike turn abruptly away from the obstacle and into an even worse obstacle.
Mirror extenders have the female threads for the mirror and no male threads. The cap screws that come with a set for Yamaha would have one left and one right hand thread cap screw. You would have to buy another right hand threaded cap screw or perhaps the seller would send you two right hand thread cap screws if you asked.

·
Registered
1 Posts

FINALLY someone who explained this pain in the rear end problem. Seriously I was wondering why this nightmare exists. I am having this problem on my Vespa scooter and it is hard to find an extender NOT AN ADAPTER that has LH male and LH female. All kinds of adapters that screw into the LH female on the bike BUT they have a RH female. That is great if I want to use the standard aftermarket mirrors where both Left and Right side are RH (CLOCKWISE) but does nothing for me if I want to use STOCK mirrors and just need a little more room to tighten my mirror, which I do. I am going to call the local Yamaha dealer hopefully they have a fix. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. Al Ford [email protected]

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I have extenders on mine. I got them from Cruiser-customizing.com.
I would imagine that if you ordered a set suitable for a Yamaha, they should do the trick.

I certainly found the extenders improved the mirrors coverage.

Also, when I was experimenting with mine before buying manufactured items, I made up my own flat extender plates, with two clearance holes. With these,I could use a bolt to secure one end to the bike mount, and use a nut on the other end with the mirror.

So if you can find the appropriate nuts and bolts (one nut LH thread), this could be an option also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts