Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've had my new '09 650 for a few weeks now, and would like to add a top box. I've looked at the Bestem and GIVI sites, and am leaning towards the Bestem 2012 box, in white. It's slightly smaller than the 929, but they tell me it will still take a full face helmet. But from this thread, I'm concerned about the base plate. Will the installation cause me problems? They call it a "universal" mounting plate--does that mean I'll have to mess around with it to make it work? Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I received my 2012 model yesterday, and it has the proper base plate for the 650. The instructions are rather poor, though. It appears I'll need to drill a hole through the mounting plate in order to install and tighten the long mounting bolt at the top (nearest the seat). And there are no instructions at all for the brake light wiring. I've been looking at LeDude's post, trying to figure it out.

What type of drill bit is best for cutting the three holes in the plastic? It looks like a 3/4" inch hole is needed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I mounted a Bestem 2012 today on my '09 650. I also found the two rear spacer bolt holes were about a 1/4" too wide. I used my Dremel tool to widen the two holes a tad towards the center. Also, the rear spacers weren't long enough to keep the mounting plate from slanting to the rear, and I had to fiddle around with flat washers (as other members have had to do) to raise and level it out. I used threadlocker on those bolts, as the washers almost made the bolts too short. I rode 100 miles on bumpy roads, and it remained tight.

The Bestem isn't as solid and well made as the GIVI on my Majesty, but is no doubt a better value.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.