Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted Bestem just to advise them of what I found when I used their mounting plate to attach a 929 this week (thank you LeDude, for posting wiring details for splicing into the brake lights!).

Looking at the rear of the bike, the right-most bolt hole center was off by 1/8" to maybe 3/16". Here is a photo. I did not ask Bestem for any action for me. I think I'm okay, with enough torque on that bolt, and the box sits just fine on the plate.

I had two Givi boxes (V46 and E52) before and all the comparisons I read here are correct. The Bestem is AWESOME for the price. It gets the job done just fine, IMO. If I have any worry it is probably about the hinges. They seem too easily stressed if I over-stuff the box (yeah, I like to travel with a bunch-o-junk).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I thought mine was a little off too but I found the trick was to loosen both bolts and tighten them using a back and forth method (much like you do with lugnuts or head bolts). Fit just fine then.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
426 Posts
I contacted Bestem just to advise them of what I found when I used their mounting plate to attach a 929 this week (thank you LeDude, for posting wiring details for splicing into the brake lights!).

Looking at the rear of the bike, the right-most bolt hole center was off by 1/8" to maybe 3/16". Here is a photo. I did not ask Bestem for any action for me. I think I'm okay, with enough torque on that bolt, and the box sits just fine on the plate.

I had two Givi boxes (V46 and E52) before and all the comparisons I read here are correct. The Bestem is AWESOME for the price. It gets the job done just fine, IMO. If I have any worry it is probably about the hinges. They seem too easily stressed if I over-stuff the box (yeah, I like to travel with a bunch-o-junk).

I see from your signature you have a AN650L3. I've taken delivery of a AN650L4 a few weeks ago. Does the BESTEM base plate come with all the extended bolts and inserts etc needed to fit to the back end of the newer 650's once the pillion backrest is removed? I assume then that once the base plate has been fitted it allows for a range of Bestem box quick release fitting plates to be be fitted to which the BESTEM box fits onto?

(FWIW, BESTEM are rebadged 'ADLO' boxes made in China for a fraction of the prices BESTEM are charging in USA market)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My Bestem plate came with the bolts and everything I needed to mount it. I did have to make a trip to the hardware store to buy some washers that I used as shims on the rear bolts so I could level the plate. Without the washers, my T-Box looked like it was sagging at the rear. I understand that Bestem was going to correct this problem.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had the same problem with my mount plate. I called them about 6 weeks ago and explained to them that the holes were off. I think they have a problem with their template at the machine shop. I was able to use the mount but the bolts have to bend a bit to be able to use it. They should fix the problem.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. Seems like a fairly simple plate that one could have fabricated at many a machine shop. I assume though that the mounting positions differ between the new L3 & L4 models compared to the previous models L2 and older?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hardware was complete. For 2013's, at least, you do need a back cover sold by Suzuki or S suppliers that comes nicely painted for around $40. I see most people recommending a stepped or Unibit drill bit to make the three 3/4" holes but my 3/4" Forstner bit cut through quite nicely at moderately slow speed (tape the painted side to reduce chip-outs). You'll need a curved rasp or file to enlarge those holes slightly for the supplied spacer tubes.

The hardware kit yielded a reasonably level plate and mounted box, to my eye. They might have adjusted it. No response from my e-mail to Bestem yet. Hard to imagine anyone selling these boxes for substantially less price. They are reasonably well constructed. I've stuffed it for some highway rides at 75+ MPH and still only concerned about the hinge, long term.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yes, the Bestem 929 is a nice box. I have even bought and installed the liner to go in it. Makes for a very nice box, a deluxe looking setup. I am very happy with mine.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yes, the Bestem 929 is a nice box. I have even bought and installed the liner to go in it. Makes for a very nice box, a deluxe looking setup. I am very happy with mine.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky
I put one on my 400 before it was totaled. The liner is very nice and makes the box much better. I current 650 had a GIVI on when I got it and I don't consider it much better than the Bestem.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rod at Bestem got back to me today to mention he has not seen this issue before. He said they'd try to get a Burgman back in for a measurement.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've had my new '09 650 for a few weeks now, and would like to add a top box. I've looked at the Bestem and GIVI sites, and am leaning towards the Bestem 2012 box, in white. It's slightly smaller than the 929, but they tell me it will still take a full face helmet. But from this thread, I'm concerned about the base plate. Will the installation cause me problems? They call it a "universal" mounting plate--does that mean I'll have to mess around with it to make it work? Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've had my new '09 650 for a few weeks now, and would like to add a top box. I've looked at the Bestem and GIVI sites, and am leaning towards the Bestem 2012 box, in white. It's slightly smaller than the 929, but they tell me it will still take a full face helmet. But from this thread, I'm concerned about the base plate. Will the installation cause me problems? They call it a "universal" mounting plate--does that mean I'll have to mess around with it to make it work? Thanks in advance for your advice.
I believe it is "universal" for the Burgmans, meaning it fits the 400 & 650, not every bike out there.

Like the others have said, it works just fine. I too needed several washers I got from the hardware store for shimming this or that and making it level. But other than that, everything is included, save loctite. It definitely takes a full face helmet and then some.

For the price, its an excellent box with all the features you need included. The silver color is spot on with the burg. You wouldn't know it was aftermarket.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Also thinking about installing a Besteem 929. I assume one must get the optional mounting kit for an extra 59.00? Does this mounting kit fit the 650 ok? I could buy the Givi mounting kit but at a much higher cost which I would rather not do. I think some have also custom made their own mounting kit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Also thinking about installing a Besteem 929. I assume one must get the optional mounting kit for an extra 59.00? Does this mounting kit fit the 650 ok? I could buy the Givi mounting kit but at a much higher cost which I would rather not do. I think some have also custom made their own mounting kit.
The 929 comes with the cargo box, and the base plate. It's made out of stamped sheet metal, so it needs to be attached over something solid and rigid. If you already have a flat rack in the back, then you don't need the mounting kit. But typically, either a rack, the mounting kit or your custom made shelf is what the 929 base plate bolts onto instead of it being directly attached onto the burgman.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm concerned about the base plate. Will the installation cause me problems? They call it a "universal" mounting plate--does that mean I'll have to mess around with it to make it work? Thanks in advance for your advice.
If this is the universal mounting plate we're talking about, then YES, it will cause you problems if it's not mounted correctly.

The pic above is the mounting plate that comes w/ the top box, and the gold shiny brackets in the box is for attaching the bestem stamped sheetmetal mounting plate to a rack. That's what IMO the universal fitment means. It fits onto all different styles of racks.

If your burgman doesn't have a rack, then Bestem sells the T box mounting kit for suzuki, which is this base plate shown below, and all hardware's provided to attach it to the burgman w/o any drilling or modifications. Once this plate is in fastened in place, then the 929 or 2012 mounting plate is attached over it.

If you just try to mount the 929 or 2012 mounting plate all by itself to the back of the burman w/o a rack or a base plate, the sheetmetal of that mounting plate is too weak imo to last.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I received my 2012 model yesterday, and it has the proper base plate for the 650. The instructions are rather poor, though. It appears I'll need to drill a hole through the mounting plate in order to install and tighten the long mounting bolt at the top (nearest the seat). And there are no instructions at all for the brake light wiring. I've been looking at LeDude's post, trying to figure it out.

What type of drill bit is best for cutting the three holes in the plastic? It looks like a 3/4" inch hole is needed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jim, most of the how-to's I saw here show a stepped bit (Unibit is a trade name). I used a Forstner bit and my results were very clean. The plastic cut quite nicely on a drill press. I covered the painted side with masking tape (reduces paint chip-outs) and drilled from the other, while backing up the part with a piece of scrap wood. You will end up using a rasp or file to slightly enlarge the drilled hole anyway to fit the Bestem metal tubes.

I forgot the details but LeDude shows the exact striped-color brake light wires to splice into (might have also been in a tell-me-exactly-how post also).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I didn't have to drill on my 2009 Exec. When I took the rear back (butt) rest off all of the needed mounting holes were already present.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts