Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent tool kit thread a few stellar members said they carry a mini-compressor. Several others on this site have also mentioned carrying one. I'm debating if I want to take up precious cargo space with something I may never need. So, for those who carry a mini-C, has anyone really needed one for other than topping off, which could be done at a service station? Those who don't carry one, anybody been stuck needing one in the middle of no-compressor land? I'm looking for stories folks. Finally, recommendations on a small, reliable compressor?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I've used mine a couple of times when I have had flats while on a ride. I've also used it to help out others that have had flats and did not carry a compressor with them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The reason I carry a compressor when I travel is so that I will not be stranded should I have a flat tire. That being said, you must also carry a tire plug kit to temporarily fix a flat tire. If you are uncomfortable with inserting a tire plug for a temporary fix then it really isn't necessary to carry a compressor with you.

I have used a compressor numerous times while on extended trips, but like you said, any service centre will do to top up the air in your tires if need be. A compressor and tire kit is about as useful as a set of jumper cables in my opinion. Flat tires and run down batteries can stop you dead in your tracks, so I carry both. Hopefully I will never have to use them other than to help out another biker or cager in their time of need.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Mini-compressor & a patch-kit......
kinda like carring a BandAide in your wallet.....
just in case..

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I carry one always, it fits right on the inside compartments located in each side of the trunk, so it takes no space. Why not to carry it?

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
BandAids are not what I carry in my wallet. :p But when it comes to a compressor I have one reason I can think of. We were at a rally one time and right as we were ready to leave on a scheduled ride someone was low on air and borrowed a compressor from someone that had one. The compressor burnt up and the man that borrowed the compressor had to buy one for himself and one to replace the one burnt up. So the moral of this story is if you have your own compressor you will never need to buy one for someone else and you will have one in the unlikely event that you may need one. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Carry one... I have used mine many a times. You definitely not to make it to a gas station... That's cargo space it's well worth using up, it could save your life if it is 100f degrees outside. One other thing you should carry under your seat in the summer, is a good half-gallon to a gallon jug of water.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
it's a good tool to have, especially if you suffer a flat on the road...

I carry my HarborFreigh one with me all the time, well worth the $5.00 I spent on it. Bought a few of them.

You can carry a small bicycle hand pump but that's a lot of work...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I carry a mini-compressor in my tool kit. It's an easy way to keep your tires properly inflated without having to buy air at your local garage.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I carry one every time I go away from "civilization", on my V-Strom I used it many times to adjust the air level for gravel or pavement use. I think I will start carrying it all the time since almost all of the gas stations here have been switching over to coin operated air stations. I guess the gas prices are so low that there is not enough profit to cover free air :D

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I know one local gas station told me he was tired of coming in to open in the morning only to find some a&& hole had cut the gage off the end of hose during the night. :mad: So if he knows you and you ask he will pull a hose out of one the old bays (used to be a full service) for you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, I had no idea you could get one so small! I was thinking of one I have in my truck that is about a five times the size of that tiny aerostich pump. How long does it take to pump up a flat cycle tire with one of these? Are there other brands/models that folks have found reliable? I'd hate to start carrying one and then not have it work if I needed it. I've used tire plug repairs many times, so that isn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I carry one always, it fits right on the inside compartments located in each side of the trunk, so it takes no space. Why not to carry it?

That is compressor me carry under seat with Stop-N-Go plug kit and 6 foot battery boost cable.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wow, I had no idea you could get one so small! I was thinking of one I have in my truck that is about a five times the size of that tiny aerostich pump. How long does it take to pump up a flat cycle tire with one of these? Are there other brands/models that folks have found reliable? I'd hate to start carrying one and then not have it work if I needed it. I've used tire plug repairs many times, so that isn't an issue for me.
I tested mine after return home from Wal-Mart just to make sure it worked. It does work but would take a few minutes to inflate a completely flat scooter tire. I carry it wrapped in bubble wrap hoping this will help keep in good shape until needed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts