Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my job offer falls through I will be buying my sons 2011 Burgman 400. I hope to drive it from Milwaukee, WI to Austin, TX. Considering my longest one day drive is 200 miles how long would you give yourself to make the ride? It's approximately 1130 miles.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It really depends on your schedule and how comfortable you're doing long distance riding I think 400 miles a day is doable if you can take it and you would be making the trip in 3 days.

try to get some seat cushion AKA airhawk or the like and make sure you research the weather all the way through so you bring the right gear for the trip.

Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
About 1,200. Why don't you enjoy the ride and don't ride the rough interstates and ride some nice 2 lanes along the Mississippi and take your time? Plan 4 days and if you do it in 3 you are ahead. You may never do this trip again.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've made the trip several times in a car....Memphis was the half way point. On a Burgman I wouldn't make the same trip. I'd avoid Chicago traffic and go through Rockford Il then head south to near St Louis. Seems to me Miwaukee to St Lois would be doable on day 1...if you're tired stop in Springfield, about 100 miles less.

Day 2 St Louis to Oklahoma City using I-44 all the way. That's almost 500 miles...So the back up plan would be to stop in Tulsa, which is also about 100 miles less (400 mile day)
Day 3 is take I-35 all the way to Austin, which is another 400 mile day.

That's the non tourest suggestion. If you'd rather take your time, there's all sorts of tourest attractions along the way. I'd invest in an Airhawk...I've done 300 mile days with no hurting at all. I'd also invest in this little gizmo that will save your wrist from cramping...it's one of the best things I've ever added...for $22 bucks its without question worth it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've done 600 interstate miles a day on my 400. It's a full day of nothing but holding the throttle WFO from sun up to sun down.
So if I were in a hurry to get somewhere, 2 days should do it.

But for pleasure, then 200 miles a day should be the limit. 3-4 hrs of riding time, and the rest for taking a long breakfast, afternoon sightseeing w/ a long lunch and dinner, and then watching a little TV before lights out.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a cramp buster and would have a bearcast backrest. I'd go for the airhawk cushion though. No butt cramps for me.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Persaonally,for me the cramp buster didn't do the trick. I've tried i t and it didn't allow me to take my right hand off the throttle to shake it out or just give it a rest.That $21 item I posted yesterday, does the trick. It allowed me to continue to cuise down the highway without needing my right hand on the throttle. But whatever works for ya....have a great trip. ;-)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think an Airhawk is like sitting on a waterbed....and expensive at that. Sheepskin yes, Airhawk no.

Does that Vista Cruise fir the 650 and 400 handlebars and install quick?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't like Crampbusters either & found that little $20 cruise control for $10 somewhere else but really didn't like the way it worked.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I could probably stand 500 Interstate miles a day, with Alaskan Sheepskin. And stopping every couple hours to munch and do stretches and push ups and some crunches. Definitely consider scenic routes- "blue lines"- such as shown on Rand McNally atlas.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
As others have already said, you can probably do this trip in as little as two days. However, if you can, take a couple of weeks and enjoy the trip. Go see some of the USA from the back of a motorcycle. You will come away from the trip with memories that will be with you for the rest of your life. You will also have stories that you can tell about the trip about what you have seen and people you have met. Go smell the flowers! Too many people miss out on doing things like this and then later in life they are left with regrets.

Doug

·
Registered
709 Posts
One more time, here's the cruise control that works and is easy to install for $40.00. it works great on mine, and you can go one handed all day if you want. You will have to cut away a little bit of the plastic to make it fit from the handlebar cover, no big deal, sell it with it on. I wouldn't leave town without it. A cramp buster isen't much good on a 2000 mile haul.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281483550039?rmvSB=true

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You can also use one of these http://www.aerostich.com/go-cruisetm-throttle-control-1.html or these http://www.amazon.com/Go-Cruise-2wheelride-Universal-Throttle/dp/B00ERXG4TM.
Or even do what I do. I bought a pair of Grip Puppies that were longer than the grip. I cut the left one to fit and left the right one long. Then I put a Kuryakin universal-throttle-boss out toward the end of the Grip Puppie. The throttle stays where I set it. It's not for everyone but I like it a lot.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/262/universal-throttle-boss

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
To Loren > my sheepskin is a Medium, I had bought it several years ago for my Concours. Fits well on the 400.

I stop to do push ups and crunches and stretches even if I'm traveling by car! Sitting for long periods is not good for you. :cool:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Sheepskin -- I like.

Happen to have a full sheepskin bought in Scotland years and years ago (about 35 I reckon). I just cut a piece in shape of front seat.

Install:

Let back rest al the way forward and slide back of sheepskin (wide end) up under the backrest and then slide the backrest back to where you want it and lock it.

I have a string (in my case and old boot string) that I use to tie the front. I open the seat and run the string underneath the seat and over the top of the sheepskin and tie it at the side. Tie it so you can easily get it loose if it rains.

Rain - take it off and reinstall after the rain.

Hey, this is not attractive as the string does show much but not much as it goes down into the fur of the skin. My skin is off white, so I should use an offwhite string and hide it more.

My string is brown. I don't worry much about looks much - mostly. I just worry about function and ride.

Plus, I happen to have a sheepskin I was not using. Been using it on several MCs (including the 650 Burgman when I had it), you get a lot of cuts out of one sheepskin and could probably get Black, Grey, or White (grey and white stay cool).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts