Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good bar for total miles of a tank when riding mostly highway miles on the Burgman 400?

I find that I filled up with a little over a 1/4 tank left (on the ever so accurate gauge:D) and come to find out it was only 1.7 gallons topped off. This tank is supposed to be 3.6 I believe. But even on my 1st fill up when I was into the "Red", I still only filled up 2.03 gallons.

Is 150 miles a good range on highway miles?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It can depend on terrain and speed. On a 75mph Interstate, I find my 400 starts guzzling gas and yes, then I would be looking at around 150 miles. However, on 60-65 mph highways, my fuel economy is pretty good. In a recent 6-day, 1800 mile tour all over Colorado on such roads, I averaged a hair above 70mpg. That would provide a range of about 250 miles. In that case, I was comfortable stretching it to 200 miles.

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Range depends on your MPG. Most of the 400s read about 3-4 mpg less on the MPG readout than the actual mpg. If you're getting 50 mpg, your range is about 150. If you're getting about 65 mpg, your range is 195. I suggest getting used to noting how close your actual mpg is, compared to what the MPG gauge reads. It'll help you judge your remaining miles depending on what kind of riding environment you're in.

I fill up on the centerstand and rock the bike about 3-4 times to "burp" the air out of the tank. I get both a full tank...and a repeatable level to compute my actual mpg from. Generally, I'll see the tank hit about 3/4 when the first gallon is used. When it gets to 1/4, I'm down about 2 gallons. And from there till deep in the red is the third gallon.

I got used to watching this closely because my commute is 30 miles each way. With 60+ mpg, I can make three round trips (180 miles) before getting panicky about finding a gas station. I've also gone as far as 210 miles on a tank. It all depends on your comfort level for how far you can push a 490 lb bike.

Chris

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Usually get 200 miles but most is 240 then it hiccuped once and died no real warning, started up as normal after adding fuel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In have an 05 400, and I start looking for gas after 150 miles... that said, once I fill it only takes 2 gallons or so. Using that math, I could ride it around 225 miles.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You should be able to squeeze And I mean squeeze 240 miles out of that tank.. I just did by the skin of my tooth, It could do more at 50 mph . My situation wasn't voluntary, They don't have many open gas stations up there in the hills on saturdays...Whoopsadaisyodechap! Lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts