Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you folks getting mileage-wise on a full tank? I feel like my Burg is getting about 120-140 miles per tank. Does this sound right? Granted, my daily commute consists of short city trips, and no freeway driving...

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I've ridden mine regularly 168 miles per tank. I've gone up to 180 miles per tank without running out of fuel. Based on my average mileage (60.54 MPG) and the fuel tank size, the 400 'should' be able to go up to 205 miles (average) before going dry. Without spare fuel with me, I'm not inclined to try it though. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I wonder why my MPG has been so low in comparison... I suppose it has to be that my daily commute is so short.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
One other thought....
The 168 mile trips are mostly Interstate and restricted access roads at 65+ MPH. I've found that MPG drops at higher speeds. Interstate driving I would not try going much past the 170 mark. I'm considering carrying a small fuel cell in the trunk 'just in case'.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Since cutting my Givi windshield down I went from 55 to 58 mpg--I never wait for the gas to get to low so I don't know for sure what a tank will give me, but it would seem it is over 175.
Almost all of my mileage is between 60 & 80 mph (indicated) .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Randy said:
Since cutting my Givi windshield down I went from 55 to 58 mpg--I never wait for the gas to get to low so I don't know for sure what a tank will give me, but it would seem it is over 175.
Almost all of my mileage is between 60 & 80 mph (indicated) .
I've never let the gauge go down all the way either... but I checked last time I filled the tank -- I'm at half a tank now, and only got approximately 60-70 miles out of it. :?: :?:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
CINCNORAD said:
Interesting. I wonder why my MPG has been so low in comparison... I suppose it has to be that my daily commute is so short.
It probably has a lot to do with the type of driving and conditions. I rarely get in stop and go traffic. Only been in one small traffic jam. Also, does the California model have some extra emissions hardware?

·
Registered
793 Posts
The California model does have a recirculator canister and vacuum
system to work it.
The first cars to have emissions equipment in them in the 70's would
sputter and jerk but they've come a long way.

BurgmanUSA needs a table of entries to reflect milage under ideal conditions.
Ideal is to start your 400 after filling it when the engine is already warm,
then take to the highway right away.
Ideal speeds are under 70mph.
You will get better milage with higher octane gasoline.

On a road trip last month I calculated 64.3 mpg with 87 octane gas.

Every time I stopped then restarted the 400, it would calc worse milage,
even if I restarted within a few minutes in weather so warm, the choke
should not have been used.
Pulling off the highway and not stopping the engine would help mpg
figures over the entire elapsed miles range of a partial tank of gas.

All you need is the gas receipt with the gallonage figure. Filling back up
to the same place at the bottom of the filler neck helps accuracy.
I've learned to look at the topmost F mark as the first indicator of mpg
expected.
When I fill the tank to the bottom of the filler neck, the gauge will read beyond
the F mark. It takes 27-35 miles for the needle to reach the first mark depending
on headwind, road grade and throttle twisting like for passing.

Slowing my Burgman 400 down to below 55mph seems to gain mpg but
I haven't found a road long enough to run the Burgy slow enough to
get an mpg figure at slower speeds.
Arizona looks quaint on a map but we have very careless and aggressive
driving here that always seems to push posted limits to at least 5-10mph over.

·
Registered
85 Posts
45 miles per gallon

I am breaking in my Burgman 400, now at 260 miles, and calculated the miles per gallon (around town driving, long warmups, and varying the speed repeatedly. I was surprised that I was getting 45 miles per gallon, expecting much less with this kind of driving. Bob Dorsett

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Bob,

I noticed that my 'per tank' MPG varied wildly at first. I then started looking in the fuel tank and tried to fill it to the same point each time. The MPG values per tank then became closer. I still trust the average MPG more than the MPG on a single tankfull.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Wow, what varied experiences!

I took a nearly 200 mile jaunt on my '03 Burgman 400 just yesterday, and watched the mileage carefully. It was a perfect riding day, cool and dry, on back roads with peak speeds just over an indicated 60 mph, but mostly 50-55 mph. There was one ugly stretch of maybe 5-6 miles with stoplights every couple of hundred yards (it seemed). The terrain was slightly hilly, but not mountainous.

At the end of the ride, at the 194-194 mile mark, my gas guage was at the very low end of the red quadrant just before "E", and the tank took 2.8 gallons when I filled it. So, given a 3.4 gal. (or is it 3.8? I forget) nominal capacity it still had plenty of fuel in it despite the alarmist indication of the guage.

This calculated to just over 69 mpg, which is pretty good, I think. My wife, who rides an identical 400 but weighs about 90 pounds less than my lard butt does, took in 2.7 gallons of gas, for a 71+ mpg rating. This was using mid-grade gas, by the way, the 89 octane stuff.

The scoots in question have about 1300 miles on them.

Has anybody else registered similar readings?

·
Registered
10 Posts
MPG

Recently took a 2600 mile trip on my 400, kept all gas records, and saw an average of 64.8 MPG, using 91 octane, averaging 65 MPH.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, having tracked my MPGs more closely the last few weeks I've noticed something:

I usually fill up the tank once the needle hits the top of the red. However, when I fill it -- it only seems to need 2 gallons before it's full. Are you telling me there's 1.4 gallons between the red and the full empty :?:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
CINCNORAD said:
Are you telling me there's 1.4 gallons between the red and the full empty :?:
Yep. The gas guage on the 400 "errs on the side of caution". You 'can' ride for a long time in the red. I tend to trust the mileage rather than then fuel guage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
billmeek said:
CINCNORAD said:
Are you telling me there's 1.4 gallons between the red and the full empty :?:
Yep. The gas guage on the 400 "errs on the side of caution". You 'can' ride for a long time in the red. I tend to trust the mileage rather than then fuel guage.
Thanks Bill. That explains everything. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Measuring in Km/Liter

I am riding about 60% intercity. 30% with a passenger on the backseat
and get the average of about 25 Km/Liter 95 octan unleaded fuel.
My "Emil" is 800 mile "old"

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Measuring in Km/Liter

Bendi said:
...and get the average of about 25 Km/Liter 95 octan unleaded fuel.
Which is about 70.5 MPG

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Eeek! Used the wrong online calculator then. :oops:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts