Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my third tank. everyone seems to say I can get 200 miles on a tank. yet, the gauge shows one bar and the pump starts blinking at about 140 miles.. i read the post on that,

but how much do I have left in the tank when the pump starts blinking and then when the last bar disappears? never had a bike without the reserve.

mike

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
What bike? We ecnourage new members to inculde their ride details either in their profile or in their signature. As you have done neither it's going to make answering you harder...

I got 200 miles easy on the Beemer. I've never got anywehere near 200 miles on either of the Burgers, but the comfortable range for the 650 is greater than the 400.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I get gas at the 180 mile mark and it take 3 gal to fill the needle is in the middle of the red zone

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I should in theory be able to squeeze 200 miles out of a tank on my 650. When commuting I get slightly over 50 mpg, but I usually fill before 180 miles, or sooner. My commute has gas stations on either end, but none in between, so I plan to not go past the 180 mile mark before I get to a gas station.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I have been filling up around 180. Not going to push it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tank

sounds like I have about a gallon left when the pump starts flashing. thanks for the info... might have to push it one day just to see when the booger comes to a stop for gas. mike

·
Registered
874 Posts
On my Exec, both the last bar and pump start blinking near 160 miles, and the last bar goes out at 180 miles which is telling the the gas gauge is not linear. Knowing this, my guess is once the last bar goes out and you're left with only the blinking pump, you've got no more than 20 miles left - although I've never run it dry to find out.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
armdillo said:
sounds like I have about a gallon left when the pump starts flashing. thanks for the info... might have to push it one day just to see when the booger comes to a stop for gas. mike
booger? :wink: from my experience when the gas icon and 1 bar starts flashing its a bit over 1 gallon

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
There seems to be a lot of discrepancy among these guages. Mine works down to one bar showing. Then the gas pump starts flashing and I have 4 litres left or about 100 KM. Next the last bar and the pump start flashing together so I have 2 litres or about 50 KM left. Then I start looking for a gas station. :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I don't get it Wes.. the metric system confuses me lol :?

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
Don't sweat it, it confuses us too. You can figure that a litre is purty close to a US quart and 50 KM is about 30 miles. When the pump starts flashing, I've got about 60 miles left. When the pump and the first block are flashing, about 30 miles left. How's that?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
AZGuy said:
On my Exec, both the last bar and pump start blinking near 160 miles, and the last bar goes out at 180 miles which is telling the the gas gauge is not linear. Knowing this, my guess is once the last bar goes out and you're left with only the blinking pump, you've got no more than 20 miles left - although I've never run it dry to find out.
I intentionally ran Sprucy out of fuel to see.
Sprucy does not flash just the pump she runs out on the last bar.
The gauge is not linear witch makes it difficult to know when in danger of running out. My mileage ranges from 37 to 52 depending on riding style. The problem is no warning and that last bar is more than 1/4 tank. The mpg seems pretty accurate below 50 so I often do the math to calculate my distance to empty.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
It's never a good idea to run a fuel injected bike completely empty as you can cause a few problems. There is no air bleed in a fuel injection system, and you can get air locks if there's no fuel to push through the lines, and then the fuel-flow volume is insufficient to `push` through the air lock you won't ever get the bike started unless you can find a way to get the air bubble out (Usually letting it stand for a while does the trick)

Also, the fuel pump sits in the bottom of the tank where it is cooled by the fuel around it. There is a remote possibility that a fuel pump running on empty could overheat and fail. Or worse. The tank is full of vapor when its empty of fuel... a more volatile mix than a tank full of gas

(note to terrorists: Near-empty fuel tanks make a much bigger bang than full ones. Come see me and I'll show you: I'll first set fire to a tankfull, and then you can light a match over an empty tank with the cap off... :wink: )

·
Registered
665 Posts
I ride mine until the guage starts in the red (Don't like taking chances) and it takes @ little over 2 gal to fill. I have not checked the mpg other than what the display shows. I am sure there are at least a gal left when it starts in the red.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A couple of points here.

!. As noted the gauges are not reading the same from bike to bike or are they linear in rate of descent BUT they are very consistent in their individual performance.

Check how much gas goes in that the same point a few times and it is an easy calculatiuon to know how much is left and the expected mileage.

2. Miles per gallon or kilometres per litre vary from bike to bike with many considerations - size of windshield being one not usually associated with mpg. Also riding style, "super size pilots", load hauled (bags, trailer, etc.) and so on ad nauseum !!

The simple way to figure your own bike out iss to check the quantity at fill an do a quick calculation, repat a few times - they calclate againt tank capacity. From that point on use the trip meter.

My 650 with a big windshield 3 Givi cases and a 220 lb pilot will give me 300 kms before filling is urgent based on 60 -65 mph highway riding in reasonably hilly territory !!

Your mileage (kilometerage ??) will vary from mine but usually be consistent for you on your bike.

Victor

·
Registered
874 Posts
Filled up the Exec again today and I'm getting a consistent 50mpg and this is 95% city driving.

·
Premium Member
14,301 Posts
I normally try to fill the tank on either of my scoots at about the 160 mile mark for the reasons Snave has mentioned above. I did take my first 650 to almost 200 miles once before getting gas because I couldn't find a station. It took 3.9 gallons to fill it up so I must have been running on fumes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I consistently take mine to 200-210 miles per tank and then drop in 3.9 to 4.0 gallons of fuel.
I haven't run out of gas yet but I know I'm pushing it. :shock:
I remember registering 216 on the trip just a month ago.
I've never seen the pump flash alone. Its always the pump and the last bar.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I view the five bars as gallons, with the first four bars as full gallons and the last two as half gallons. When I get to the last bar, I figure I have 1/2 gallon left or about 23 miles left before empty... 8)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts