Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Burgman 650 which I try to have serviced regularly. The last time I had the engine oil changed the mechanic screwed up on resetting the 'oil change" that shows up under the "D" on the dashboard which set me to thinking. I know what the manual says regarding how often to change the oil but is it really necessary to change it so often? I use Valvoline full synthetic 10W-40 motor oil.The container says it exceeds API Service JASO MA2 which is recommended for our bikes.

Someone once told me Honda, Suzuki, etc don't make their own oil. They buy it from a refinery and just stick their name on it. I buy Valvoline motor oil from Walmart over the internet for almost half the price the Burgman dealership sells their oil for and I'm sure it's just as good.

I have decided to use the second trip meter to keep track of the miles between oil changes and use the first one to check miles per gallon.

So what is the consensus on how many miles can I ride between oil changes with out damaging the engine.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Mine I like to change between 2,600-3,000 miles with dino oil. Don't use oil that isn't JASO MA rated for sure. To get a accurate idea on actual need to replace you would have it sampled depending on your conditions/riding style. Changing oil is cheaper than a motor. ;)

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think that if you are using a good synthetic that you should be able to extend your oil change intervals to 5,000 miles no problem. And since you are going a bit longer than the book recommends I would change the oil filter every change as well. Changing your oil twice as often as you have to doesn't mean that your engine will last twice as long after all.

Changing it every 5K makes it easy to remember too. Don't need a reminder light. Just pay attention to your odometer.

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
Using Dino oil, I tend to agree with Mike above. But I run Syn oil and have the "Change Oil" set at 3600 and just reset it once and then change the oil when it comes up the second time.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I think that if you are using a good synthetic that you should be able to extend your oil change intervals to 5,000 miles no problem.
One of the 650 owners I know uses synthetic and has his oil tested at 5,000 miles and was told he could still go a bit longer, say 6,000 but some of this varies depending on climate and rider style of course.

Changing your oil twice as often as you have to doesn't mean that your engine will last twice as long after all.
True but we know what happens when you don't change it, lol.

I have started using the dino oil Shell Rotella T 15W40 beacuse I can get it at work. It quiets down the engine noise a bit too. By the time 2,600-3,000 miles rolls around on my '09 the low oil light starts coming on from either use or migration so thats when I change it.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
I use Trip A to keep track of my mileage between fuel fill-ups.
I use Trip B to keep track of my last oil changes as I do them all at once.

I have gone back to a 4k miles oil change service interval using regular dino oil from Shell, their 15w-40 oil I change my oil filter at each interval, have switched to an EMGO oil filter which seems to work just as well as the OEM filter.

I used to run Shell's 5W-40 full synthetic and had switched to a 5k oil change interval until my clutch failed.

The dino oil could probably go longer than 4k but at half the price it makes sense to me to just stick with a regular round 4k interval.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
For a couple of year use Shell Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic and change about every 5500 - 6000. Not have any clutch problem, but notice when ride hard in hot summer weather that engine take a bit of oil, went back to Shell Rotella Triple Protection 15W40 dino which seem to remedy this in hot summer weather, in early spring and fall when weather much cooler mix 1 quart of Shell Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic with 15w40 to enable bit better flow especially at start up when cold.

Now change engine oil at 4000 mile approx., always with new EMGO 10-55660 oil filter.

Use Rotella in transmission also and Mobil 1 or Lucas 75w90 full synthetic gear oil in final drive.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the "right" distance depends on the average distance and engine RPM you run. More short trips and/or higher RPM suggest more frequent changes to me. Some cars use those variables in an oil timer rather than just distance-based.

I plan on adhering to Suzuki's standard intervals. Oil is not a big expense, compared to excess engine or tranny wear, and easy enough to change. I'd rather err on the side of changing it more frequently than less. I haven't decided when, or even if, I'll switch to synthetic because I think of it as a waste if the oil is changed fairly often.

I depend more on the API rating than, say, the brand but it is also true that the additive packages (anti-corrosion, cold start, extreme pressure, etc.) vary significantly. Several publications have compared some oils in the past, using expensive analysis, and proven that. Motor oil is not just oil. However I have no idea which brand, if any, is better than another (even if you know one has more or less of something, how do we know if that is better or worse?).

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what is the consensus on how many miles can I ride between oil changes without damaging the engine.[/QUOTE]

Many years ago when I first learned to drive I had an old Chevy. Being a young kid I didn't know any better and never bothered to change the oil. I don't remember how many miles I had on the oil but one day the engine started to growl. My next door neighbour was an auto mechanic and said he could fix it. He changed the oil and used straight Rislone, 5 quarts of it and told me to drive about 25 miles and bring it back. He then changed the oil and put in 30 weight regular oil. It did fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
So what is the consensus on how many miles can I ride between oil changes without damaging the engine.
Many years ago when I first learned to drive I had an old Chevy. Being a young kid I didn't know any better and never bothered to change the oil. I don't remember how many miles I had on the oil but one day the engine started to growl. My next door neighbour was an auto mechanic and said he could fix it. He changed the oil and used straight Rislone, 5 quarts of it and told me to drive about 25 miles and bring it back. He then changed the oil and put in 30 weight regular oil. It did fix the problem.[/QUOTE]

Owner manual recommend engine oil change every 6000 km or 4000 mile using regular motorcycle oil, that very good place to start.

Can go longer with high quality full synthetic oil, me if was using oil such as Amsoil would not hesitate to go perhaps double that.

Motor oil today so so much better and higher performance than old Rislone period 30-35 year ago.

All motorcycle manufacture have various oil company repackage and rebrand oil for them, but rarely know who oil is in bottle.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I ran the same Valvoline you are using in my 400. Doing the same with my 650 changing with oil filter at 5k. As I bought my 650 with 7300+ I started at 10k. Don't need trip to keep track as it's easy to remember. Engine & trans every 5k so 10,15,20 etc. Use synthetic in rear started at 10k so 10,20,30 etc. Did same on my 400 (without trans) & sold at 46k+ with no engine or rear end problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If your using a good full synthetic,i usually go twice as long,6,000 miles or so.This vehicle by no means even needs syn oil,it just seems to be a preference.Also that is usually the point of using syn oil to go longer between oil changes.I'm pretty sure no one out there is racing them.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I do think it makes for longer lived engines tho. Marvelous stuff and I figure no more expensive as half the number of oil changes.
My mechanic who does race recommends it in the Burgman 650.

On a sustained near top end run - which I've done for a couple hours at a time...most of a tank I'd prefer to have some reallllly slippy stuff in the poor little 650 pushing all that air.

That said - I have YET to see the temperature gauge budge except when coming up from cold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts