Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive filled up pretty much exactly every 200 miles. Of course I only have 600 miles and those were pretty reserved on the throttle. What do most of you see between the fill-ups? Highway vs City?

·
Registered
793 Posts
OPEC - Lookout!

I get 55-65, regardless of city or highway. After filling up lately, it appears that the gallons-in plus gallons remaining compared to mpg, yields a possible 225 mi. range of the 4 gallons (that I've been chicken to try).
Just pushing the Burgy out of the garage is reminder enough of what its like, running out of gas.

The Power Mode only low-gears your tranny. It does not burn more fuel.
What burns more fuel in the Power Mode is your hand twisting the throttle far around to develop torque (the rocket feeling). Additional power derived from the Power Mode is by switching it off into an automatically higher 'D' range. This makes the Power button a two step process: turning it on and accelerating then turning it off and letting the tranny bite into a higher range at high rpm's and speeds.

Best milage
On start outs - I take the Rev's to 3,400 then let the tranny do the acceleration. Then small throttle inputs to accelerate more.
On Cruising - 46mph is the most efficient (In Manual mode). If the tranny rumbles while doing this, you're going up a hill and you should go back to 'D'.
65mph is the most efficient highway speed (In 'D' mode). The tranny needs the extra torque here, just to overcome loads.

Down mountain passes=65mpg
Up mountain passes= 55mpg
Head wind high speeds=<55mpg

I've noticed that if I accelerate quickly then back throttle off to a cruise speed, I can let the throttle go, down a quarter inch, then slowly back up. This fools the tranny into cruising at the same speed, but 200 rpm's slower (works best below 65mph).

As smart as the FI system is, it generally burns more fuel when you make it spin the engine faster with the throttle.

I'd like to get two of us side-by-side and see who takes off faster; the guy in Power Mode or the guy in Manual Mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
AN650K3 Miles Between Fill-ups?

I ride only solo and my machine now has 4,855 miles since March 2003. Rider is 225 pounds clothed. Probably had another 20 pounds of gear - First aid kit, 50 OZ. water canteen, binoculars, sweat shirt, Walkman radio/ear phones, flashlight, maps, compass, several bungee cords, beef jerkey, dry cereal, etc.

My ride 336 mile ride yesterday was from Surprise, Arizona, USA to Prescott, Jerome, Cottonwood, Sedona and Flagstaff and return. Some of those roads a desolate for miles.

The fill-up after Flagstaff yielded 52.4 MPG touring (no interstate highway travel).

My previoius trip was from home to Santa Fe, New Mexico. The MPG was the same ... within a few tenths of a MPG.

Climatic conditions were dry with temperatures from 70 to 105F.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I fill up at about 150 miles. I use Tripmeter B to record the distance on each tankful. I know I could go further, but there is no reserve petcock on these new machines and I don't totally trust that gas gauge.

Paul

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Fuel Mileage

1,000 on the machine, 2-up riding 95%, speeds vary 60 - 80 (Indicated) at crusing. 1st tank 49 mpg, broken in now 42-47 per gal. (I do drive it). Per tank is about 130 - 150 miles. As stated by others I like to keep about 1 gal for reserve just in case I end up in the boonies.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Fuel Mileage

I've got 2,500klms on the clock and my first tank returned 62.5mpg
every other refill so far has returned 60mpg ...

Ride to and from work 100klms total a day @ 70% freeway 100-110klph, 30% slow moving traffic jams ...

Australian gallon = 4.5 litres ...

Rgds Greg ...

AN650

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
My initial mileage check was 51 mpg (U.S. gallons). My last several checks have been 45-46 mpg. I think I got a little more aggressive with the throttle as I got used to the machine. I am also now running with a larger windscreen and a Givi E52 trunk, which could be creating some additional wind resistance. I have never dropped below 45 mpg.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mileage

After 3000 miles, I am returning an average of 59mph on the English Gallon = 4.5 litres. Best 67mpg, open roads in France, point to point, non stop for 108 miles at 70-75mph. Worst 49mpg, winding English back roads, lots of stops to view the scenery, and a bit of throttle twisting coming off the corners, 129 miles. I have topped 188 miles between fills on quite a few occasions, but after battling to find a station recently and putting in 14.5 litres (yeah, we drive in miles and mpg and fill up in litres in England), I now look for a fuel station when I get down to 2 fuel bars.

By way of comparison, over 24000 miles, my Honda 250 Foresight scooter averaged 78mpg, so if I can get 60mpg out of the Burgman, I will remain happy.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well after the first few tanks and actually using the fuel gauge I thought I had calculated approx 320 kms on a tank. Well one day I was out pushing this theory and ran the machine dry at 300kms with the last bar flashing on the gauge. So now I won't push it past 280kms unless I'm carrying fuel in a gerry can.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Your mileage may vary...

Miles Per Gallons for me is around 47. I'm pretty easy on the throttle, but drive mostly two-up. Best MPG was 52, worst was 38 fully loaded for touring, two-up, in a headwind that would have pushed a 250cc machine backwards. :wink:

So, to answer your questions, I plan on filling up between 160 and 180 miles most of the time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I currently am getting unlimited mileage. IT'S WINTERIZED. Just funnin. Bummed out it is winterized. I hate winter.

Eddie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Range and miles per gallon

I suspect I may have the record for lowest range. I ran my Burger dry in 109 miles on the A1 Autoroute on the way to Paris last October.
I was in a bit of a hurry and had a huge holdall strapped on the pillion seat.
That was actually my second run out of the day - it ran dry at 127miles earlier on, after which I pushed it about half a mile - uphill!
I can tell you that the tank actually holds 15.4 litres - clearly not nearly enough!
I've never got more than 140 miles from a tankful and usually average between 40 and 45mpg (Imperial).
PNB

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ride a 400. I fillit up every 2.5 US gallons and over the past 3000 miles I've averaged about 54+ miles to the gallon. My best was the first tank which was over 80 mpgs. I miss that very much - almost as good as a CDI smartcar.

mike

·
Registered
355 Posts
HEy, I just put gas in for the first time, took 2.8 gal, and I've only ridden about 75 miles. Has anyone else experienced low milage on first tank?

I do like fast starts... but still expect much better milage

The first bar on the indicator did blink out pretty quick after I got the Burgy so perhaps the dealer did "top it off".

Johnny

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Wait for a few more tanks of fuel, the first tank is not a good indicator for mileage. Typically 40 mpg riding harder, 50 mpg riding easy, is about right.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was only getting 150 miles to the tank, until I was told on the Yahoo group to make sure and put the bike on the center stand when taking on fuel.

Now I''m closer to 180 to the tank and it appears that I'm getting another half gallon squezzed in there.

·
Registered
367 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
HEy, I just put gas in for the first time, took 2.8 gal, and I've only ridden about 75 miles. Has anyone else experienced low milage on first tank?
Did you fill up your tank or was it just the gas your dealer stuck in? I got about 120 miles (210 KM) on mine, I put 3 gallons (US) in. If is was full to start, that would mean about 42 mpg US or 50 mpg Imperial.
I know that the tank is full this time, so I will get a better reading on my next fill up.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
As previously mentioned, your gas mileage will improve as the engine breaks in. Riding habits and cruising speed can also effect mileage. Then as you "accessorize" you can experience some loss of mileage. Larger windscreens are one culprit - the larger the screen, the more potential wind drag & corresponding effect on mileage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pretty pleased

On out last trip back from Spokane we were getting better than 300 klm's per tank so I checked it on the last leg from Radium BC home to Calgary. 68.7 mpg , that's converting from metric to Imperial. The ride was about 280 klm's with one stop, average speed about 120 klm with a solo rider of 145 lbs and full of luggage. I thought my BMW GS was good at 60 mpg's but this makes us very happy.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts