Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
5,055 Posts
Rick said:
Well, I had to know so I took the LG Clearview off, put the stock screen back on and burned around 3 gals of gas to see how much of a difference the larger screen made on mpg. Turns out, not much at all. I got almost
41 mpg with the stock screen compared to 38-39 with the CV. That nails it for me. Back on went the CV! The comfort of the larger screen was really missed this week. Driving around town is the mpg culprit, not so much the screen.
A 2-3 mpg hit is about right for a LG Clearview or Givi. I found that my mileage penalty from the XXL I tried was in the 5 to 8 mpg range. Wind drag gets worse as screen size goes up. Also, the effect of a large screen on mileage around town isn't very much, but it increases significantly at higher speeds as wind drag becomes more pronounced.

· Registered
110 Posts
say has anyone taken the tank out of the 650 and seen if it can be made larger? or calibrated the gage? even at the expense of the under seat storage. i would rather have distance that storage. i have a top trunk and if needed i can add saddle bags for extra storage. i need distance i hate filling up ever few days just to drive 30 miles a day. average 130 miles per tank at 32 mpg. this is completely unacceptable. only 700 mile on bike but if no improvement happens before end of next season burgy will go in favor of more miles. my helix get 6- 7- on highway but only goes 65-70 tops. don't cart to drive engine that fast for extended periods.

· Registered
5,055 Posts
Bob,

You could probably install a fuel cell in the trunk - similar to what the Iron Butt riders do. But I'd really try to figure out WHY you are only getting 32 mpg first. That is not typical, in fact it is the lowest mileage I've heard quoted for a Burgman 650. You should be getting in the high 40's.

· Registered
12,269 Posts
corvairbob said:
i hate filling up ever few days ....
Sounds good to me. When commuting to work, I have to fill up the Burgman 400 daily!

· Registered
110 Posts
yea i'm looking into the low miliage problem. but if it does persist into the later part of next years season and after i have out more miles on it then it will have to go. i ride to save gas and my car gets better gas miliage with 6 cylinders that my bike with 2 cylinders. this winter i'm tearing the bike down to see if i can calibrate the gas gage better and also see if i can enlarge the tank, even if i have to get orange county choppers to fab one up for me!

· Registered
12,269 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
yea i put it on the center stand and fill it to the cap. i ride 70 to 75 mph. and use the drive portion of the transmission. i have a givi windscreen on the bike an aftermarket trum and i weigh in at 165# . i don't drive with my arms hanging out the windows or my legs flapping it the breeze either. also i ride setting straight up with my back on the backrest. the last 2 tanks i have driven very carefully to avoid the extra fuel used in hard acceleration, still about the same.

· Registered
12,269 Posts
Sails said:
Someone loves his work ... or where he lives! :lol:
Or is too cheap to pay over 3 times the rent. :D It's much cheaper to drive....especially riding the 400.

· Registered
3,347 Posts
corvairbob said:
yea i put it on the center stand and fill it to the cap. ...
I still don't see how you can put 4.06 gallons into a Burgman 650's 4 gallon tank almost every time you fill it. I've run almost to empty once, and still could only add 3.88 gallons.

Usually I can only put in 3.5 - 3.6 gallons before the pump clicks out, and I go about 150 - 160 miles on most tanks.

Something just doesn't add up here.

· Registered
110 Posts
filled her up today and put in 3.491 us gal. at 149.2 total miles driven for 42.73847 mpg. this is better that before, i suppose that's all i can expect for this bike. maybe after i put a few thousand miles on here it will improve. also i have never got me that 3.5 or so gallons in my bike either. this winter i'm taking out the tank and making it larger. 5 plus gallons at least. if occ can do it i can do it too. heck even mikey can make a tank. will most likely add to the tank in it already.

· Registered
3,347 Posts
allwalk said:
corvairbob are you using the centerstand when youy put gas in the bike. I suspect you are not and thats why your milage is so low. 32mpg is attrocious .
I just noticed this. Centerstand or sidestand would affect total range, but not miles per gallon. :roll:

corvairbob said:
...also i have never got me that 3.5 or so gallons in my bike either.
Oh. So when you said "...average 130 miles per tank at 32 mpg..." you were just talking out of your hat. :evil:

· Registered
347 Posts
I am getting 47.85 mpg (US) with a Clearview XXL and the Givi E52 box on the bike. This is in a mixed ride over the weekend with about 70 % at country highway speed of 50-65 mph. The rest was city stop and go and expressway travel. 99% of the driving was in Drive mode with only a couple of Power shots and some screwing around with shifting.
My mileage has dropped with the big piece of plastic in the front and the huge box in the back but it ain't no 32 mpg.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.