Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,411 Posts
Rick said:
How much mpg difference is there between open road
and the stop and go stuff I mostly do?
Stop and go riding kills your mileage averages. When sitting, the bike is burning fuel but not adding any miles. I know people who shut off their engines at long lights to avoid this, but I don't think wear and tear on the starter is worth any small savings they may achieve.

My 650 gets between 40MPG in city only riding and 50 in highway only riding. I've seen a low of 38 when it was new and I rode around town, and a high a few days ago of 55 on a long leg of my Border to Border trip.

Average over 3 months of mixed driving is about 48.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
lifegetter said:
...I filled up as much as I could at 160 miles and it only took 3.1 gallons (~51.6mpg)!

On the other hand, I got between 55 and 60 mpg on my ninja 500.
Yeah, the CVT, 1/4 ton weight, full fairings, etc. do take their toll.

51 - 52 seems to be about the highest we'll likely see on a 650, with 48 - 50 being closer to the norm. That's still nothing to shake a stick at.

Heck, I'd still be happy if I only got 35 - 40MPG. I just love this thing! And I didn't buy it for the mileage, although that was a small part of the reason for looking at bikes in the first place. (The main reason was the fun factor. 8) )

· Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Gas milage

magyver said:
...When she had this one she got a best of 55.6 on a group ride....I got 55.8 this was also on a group ride.

When we just ride on our own the milage goes back to our normal...
That's actually pretty typical. On a group ride you're usually doing mostly longer trips on highways and biways, not much city riding (the kind that eats up gas). Also, you're more likely to do easy starts and stops in a group, which is also easier on the fuel bill than jackrabbit starts and tire squeeling stops. (Yeah, I'm exagerating on purpose. But you get my point.)

· Registered
3,411 Posts
corvairbob said:
yea i put it on the center stand and fill it to the cap. ...
I still don't see how you can put 4.06 gallons into a Burgman 650's 4 gallon tank almost every time you fill it. I've run almost to empty once, and still could only add 3.88 gallons.

Usually I can only put in 3.5 - 3.6 gallons before the pump clicks out, and I go about 150 - 160 miles on most tanks.

Something just doesn't add up here.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
allwalk said:
corvairbob are you using the centerstand when youy put gas in the bike. I suspect you are not and thats why your milage is so low. 32mpg is attrocious .
I just noticed this. Centerstand or sidestand would affect total range, but not miles per gallon. :roll:

corvairbob said:
...also i have never got me that 3.5 or so gallons in my bike either.
Oh. So when you said "...average 130 miles per tank at 32 mpg..." you were just talking out of your hat. :evil:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.