Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 650 has 4,300 miles on it. The mpgs go between 44 low to 50 high. Avg is about 46 mpg. Today i went for a 250 mile ride which was composed of good seconary roads and a few highways. When I filled up it took 3.2 gallons to go 180 miles. That is 56.25 mpg. What happened.

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
I noticed better mileage on longer trips, maybe because of easier riding, or less stop and go. Plus a warmed up engine and drive train may also help. My best (2 up) was 55 and my worst was 42, average 50 mpg.

Last, it may sound odd, but me and my son got our best mileage while filling up at the same gas station. He rides a GXR 600, maybe the gas pumps were off.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I suspect it's as difficult to get the 650 filled to the exact same point each time as is it on the 400. I've started visually inspecting the gas level and am getting it closer now but still trust my average MPG rather than a single tankful. The kind of riding you did was also porbably the 'sweet spot' where MPG is concerned.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Edwljoseph said:
My 650 has 4,300 miles on it. The mpgs go between 44 low to 50 high. Avg is about 46 mpg. Today i went for a 250 mile ride which was composed of good seconary roads and a few highways. When I filled up it took 3.2 gallons to go 180 miles. That is 56.25 mpg. What happened.
My AN650 mileage has varied between a low of 38 mpg and a high of 51.6 mpg. Typical mileage is about 47 mpg. I get my worst mileage loaded for touring and cruising at 80 - 85 mph. I've gotten 51 mpg riding tight curvy hilly roads in the South Dakota Black Hills & through the rural Arkansas highways in the Ozarks. Basically, my 650 likes moderate cruising speeds. Start cruising at 70 mph or higher and the mileage dives. I like brisk acceleration, so I doubt that I'll ever see anything much over 51 mpg. I wish it did better on the trips. Out here in mid-America you kind of have to run at 80 mph when traveling through the plains - and the CVT seems to lack any overdrive capability at those speeds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ride mostly around town. I have about 720 miles on my 650.
I have a LG Clearview and no other add-on. I ride solo.

My last fill-up gave me 40.5 mpg. Will this improve as the
odometer increases or is this typical for stop and go driving?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey Rick,

I have a lg Clearview on order. How does it work for you? (wind noise/turbulence also how tall are you). Did the addition of the Clearview affect your milage much?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Chuck,

I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam. The LG screen really
took the wind off my face. It hits the top of my
helmet now. I have noticed more turbulence
but maybe that is because I'm not distracted by
all the wind in my face anymore. I look over the
screen, not through it. I can't answer the mpg
question because I didn't really check it before
my first service and the new screen was put on
the day it came back from the mechanic. It seems
really low to me at 40.5 mpg. I hope it improves
but it sure beats my 3/4 ton truck @ 13 mpg!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rick said:
I ride mostly around town. I have about 720 miles on my 650.
I have a LG Clearview and no other add-on. I ride solo.

My last fill-up gave me 40.5 mpg. Will this improve as the
odometer increases or is this typical for stop and go driving?
It may improve slightly with further break-in, but generally the break-in improvement is seen after the first 300 - 400 miles.

Here is an excerpt from some testing I did back in June of this year. My 650 had about 5000 miles on it at the time.

"As for mileage, since I reverted to the stock windscreen (with Givi trunk installed also) I have run through quite a few tanks of gas. Mileage has stayed consistently in the 48 - 50 mpg range. Prior to that, running with the XXL Clearview windscreen, I was consistently getting 43 mpg. There is no doubt at all at this point that the Clearview XXL was costing me at least 5 mpg - sometimes more."

The XXL does give a huge amount of wind protection, but it will cost you mpg and also impacts top speed and high speed acceleration. With the stock screen I could hit 115 mph without the Givi trunk and 108 mph with the Givi trunk. With the XXL I was hard pressed to hit 100 mph - sometimes it would top out at 97 or 98 mph. This all may be a reasonable tradeoff to you if wind protection is your primary objective.

I am 6'6" tall, and I currently have a older style Clearview LG screen (no handwings) and supplement it with SAENG micro-swirl edging. I get more air on my body (which I like, especially in the hot weather) and the wind hits my helmet just above the top of the visor. Depending on the direction and velocity of the wind, I sometimes get some very mild helmet buffeting. The mileage penalty for this setup seems to be about 1 mpg compared to the stock screen. High speed acceleration is excellent - top speed is compromised by about 1 mph.

In general, the larger the windscreen, the more the penalties in mpg and high speed performance. There is always a trade-off between operating efficiency and comfort. The windscreen is, among other things, an air brake.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rick said:
The LG screen really
took the wind off my face. It hits the top of my
helmet now. I have noticed more turbulence
but maybe that is because I'm not distracted by
all the wind in my face anymore. I look over the
screen, not through it.
You have a perfect setup in a couple of ways. From a safety standpoint, it is generally considered better to be looking over the windscreen than through it. It is also beneficial to have the wind hit the top of your helmet because then the cooling vents on the helmet can work properly.

But after experimenting with various windscreens and add ons, I've found that when the wind is slapping the top of your helmet, there will be some degree of buffeting (which is what I think you are referring to as turbulence). Some folks do prefer to look through the windscreen to totally eliminate the buffeting. It is, quite simply, a matter of preference. My current setup is quite similar to yours, in that the wind is hitting my helmet about 1" above the visor. I don't get a lot of buffeting, but there is occasionally some, especially when riding into a headwind.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My first upgrade was an XL Clearview. I did notice a slight reduction in gas mileage, but the benefits of the larger screen is worth it. Almost all wind buffeting on my helmet is gone, but the push on the back of the helmet is a little more. If most of your riding is 2 up, then is isn't a problem

At my height, 5'8", I have to look thru the the top 2 inches of the screen. I don't find it to be problem until it rains. Like it did Thursday night. The NWS said a 30% chance of rain. No problem, except that the rain chances must have tripled after I left home. 20 miles from home and it cuts loose and rains on me till I'm a half mile from home and then it quits. Go figure. I just have to raise up a bit to look over the screen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How much mpg difference is there between open road
and the stop and go stuff I mostly do?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rick said:
There are a lot of variables, including cruising speed, wind conditions, how many times you crank it up to pass another vehicle, etc.. You could see several mpg difference, depending on those factors.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Rick said:
Stop and go riding kills your mileage averages. When sitting, the bike is burning fuel but not adding any miles. I know people who shut off their engines at long lights to avoid this, but I don't think wear and tear on the starter is worth any small savings they may achieve.

My 650 gets between 40MPG in city only riding and 50 in highway only riding. I've seen a low of 38 when it was new and I rode around town, and a high a few days ago of 55 on a long leg of my Border to Border trip.

Average over 3 months of mixed driving is about 48.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Brian. Your figures mirror mine. I feel better knowing that its not
just my bike, its the type of driving I am doing. I was thinking of re-installing the stock screen but then I would give up something else.
Now I can just relax and enjoy the benefits of my 650.

Rick

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems that all of our posts evidence a consistency in mpgs. Best mileage comes from steady riding under 50 mph. Those of us with bigger screens and top cases lose mileage due to drag. My low in the city is about 44mph.

I'm satisfied with my mileage. I'm still amazed at the 56 mpg. BTW, I am consistent in refueling so how I refueled had nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I got my 2003 650 a few months back with about 2000 miles on it, and now it has about 8000. The first 5500 I had a Givi windscreen on, and I was getting between 42-47 mpg. After two rounds of synthetic oil change (with Rotella syn 5-40 from WalMart) and now a stock windshield, my last 500 miles were amazing! Nearly 50 mpg two tanks ago, and tonight ::drum roll:: I filled up as much as I could at 160 miles and it only took 3.1 gallons (~51.6mpg)!

Of course, I have been back to the kinder and gentler rides of Houston traffics (i.e., <95mph), but it just feels like everything is falling into place now. :wink:

On the other hand, I got between 55 and 60 mpg on my ninja 500.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lifegetter said:
...I filled up as much as I could at 160 miles and it only took 3.1 gallons (~51.6mpg)!

On the other hand, I got between 55 and 60 mpg on my ninja 500.
Yeah, the CVT, 1/4 ton weight, full fairings, etc. do take their toll.

51 - 52 seems to be about the highest we'll likely see on a 650, with 48 - 50 being closer to the norm. That's still nothing to shake a stick at.

Heck, I'd still be happy if I only got 35 - 40MPG. I just love this thing! And I didn't buy it for the mileage, although that was a small part of the reason for looking at bikes in the first place. (The main reason was the fun factor. 8) )

·
Registered
128 Posts
Gas milage

The gas milage on our 2 650s is pertty stable 48 to 52 mpg now here is the unusal part I am now riding the bike the wife used to have she has the new one. When she had this one she got a best of 55.6 on a group ride.
After I got the bike and changed the exhaust and the fuel injection to a richer seting I got 55.8 this was also on a group ride. When we just ride on our own the milage goes back to our normal mine that has been tweked is always a little better than the wifes both are 03s and I weigh about 30 pounds more than her .

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Gas milage

magyver said:
...When she had this one she got a best of 55.6 on a group ride....I got 55.8 this was also on a group ride.

When we just ride on our own the milage goes back to our normal...
That's actually pretty typical. On a group ride you're usually doing mostly longer trips on highways and biways, not much city riding (the kind that eats up gas). Also, you're more likely to do easy starts and stops in a group, which is also easier on the fuel bill than jackrabbit starts and tire squeeling stops. (Yeah, I'm exagerating on purpose. But you get my point.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I had to know so I took the LG Clearview off, put the stock screen back on and burned around 3 gals of gas to see how much of a difference the larger screen made on mpg. Turns out, not much at all. I got almost
41 mpg with the stock screen compared to 38-39 with the CV. That nails it for me. Back on went the CV! The comfort of the larger screen was really missed this week. Driving around town is the mpg culprit, not so much the screen.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts