Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I am turning 40 on New Years Day :shock: and have been drooling over a big Goldwing. I love my Burgman, but have always wanted a Goldwing. PLEASE, anyone that owns or owned a newer Goldwing and loves their Burgman better, please post why. I will never give up my Burgman, (except maybe to trade in on an Executive) but need to convince myself that I do not NEED a Goldwing too! Happy Holidays to all!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Buy it if you can. I had one (back in the eighties) and I've ridden a 6 cyl model. You can't beat it for the long tedious straight road touring that is often forced on us in middle America. Don't worry, you'll still appreciate the Burgman for a lot of your other riding. In fact, you might still put more miles on the Burgman overall. But my Burgman and motorcycle get along fine in the garage. They never quarrel or fight. And there are days when I ride the motorcycle and wonder why I don't ride it more.

If you can afford to buy, license, insure and maintain both - do it. That's the only kicker. My motorcycle costs me at least $700 per year in property tax, registration and insurance whether I ride it or not (and a Goldwing would be more). Some companies will give you a good discount on insurance for the second motorcycle though (Progressive is one that does). If you can only afford to maintain one ride - the Burgman is the better all arounder in my opinion.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you are going to look at a Goldwing I suggest that you also look at the BMW K1200LT.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Like you I have always though of getting a "wing" and as good as they may be I don't do cross country riding and the Goldwing is just not made for stop & go running around.
But if I found one at the right price :?:
Like burg650 said the K1200lt is also an idea,but having that kind of money invested in a bike just does not seem smart anymore, that's way I am selling my BMW R1200c.
Been riding bike bikes over 20 years and except for a few dirt bikes the scooter is the most practical and the most fun. :)

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I've had a '80 and '96 Wing and loved them both. If you plan on doing long distance touring two-up, it's the only way to go. They are very smooth, comfotable, quiet and handle very well.
If you are using it for commuting or mostly local runs or day trips, a Wing is over-kill. The Burgman is much easier to use in these circumstances and just as much fun (maybe more). The 650 can handle two-up and touring but that's where the Wing shines.
Don

·
Registered
247 Posts
I too am looking at the Wing. Have my heart set on at least a 2001 as that was the year they did a total makeover. New frame, suspension etc. etc. Not sure if I want to give up the Burgman but can't afford the insurance on both (Burgman = $1000/year). Will wait till the spring and see if there are any bargains out there. The local Burgman riders in the Toronto, Hamilton, Cambridge are said they would still let me ride with them even if I was on a Wing. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Arby said:
I too am looking at the Wing........... Will wait till the spring and see if there are any bargains out there.
Spring is the wrong time to look for bargains. That's the start of the riding season and prices will be at a premium. Generally, winter is the time to shop and deal. :D

Don

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've bought quite a few bikes in February over the years. The dealers are scratching for business (in the cold climate states) - and Spring isn't that far away... Of course, with my luck, when I bought in February we'd usually get late snowstorms in March!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Your right about spring being the worst time to shop for bargains but is about the time I'll get all the Christmas bills paid off. :p

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Arby said:
Your right about spring being the worst time to shop for bargains but is about the time I'll get all the Christmas bills paid off. :p
Put a Goldwing on that Christmas bill ! :eek:ccasion1:

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you can afford both you will have the best of both worlds. The GW is alot of bike!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well I have owned two Gold Wings 1984 & 1989, they are great long distance motorcycles. I also had at one time 5 motorcycles in the garage to choose from: Gold Wing, Harley Daytona, Kawasaki ZX-11, Honda CBR 900 and a Honda Helix which I originally purchased for my wife to ride. :wink:

After 10 years the last bike standing was the Honda Helix :D which I just sold last year as to make way for the Burgman AN650. All the bikes above are great in their own right (speciality). The Burgman AN650 however does so many things so well of what one would expect from a motorcycle/scooter, the Burgman to me is the Swiss Army knife of two wheelers.

The Gold Wing is a handful in slow traffic and in town driving conditions which tends to tire one out. If you plan to do at least 5K miles per year touring then a Gold Wing is in your future. If the Burgman you now have is not tiring to you for those distances then why waste money.

BTW talking to Roger yesterday, he thinks he heard that one of the near future Gold Wings may have an auto transmission. :roll:

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW talking to Roger yesterday, he thinks he heard that one of the near future Gold Wings may have an auto transmission.
That would probably seal the deal for me if the Wing was automatic! I think another season or two on the Burgman and I'll decide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts