Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open Letter: Mid Atlantic Scooter Rally (MASR) Leadership

Open Letter to Alumni of the Mid-Atlantic Scooter Rally Re Future Events:

Leadership of the Mid-Atlantic Scooter Rally (MASR) must return to the Scooter Rider Community.

Dear MASR friends:

Background:

As the current Rally Host and Road captain of MASR, I began with this wonderful event in May 2009 on Burgman 650, just another participant. Will Lewis was Road Captain; the host cadre included at least four others, all scooter riders. Rally Host was Michael Engelmann. Each event nice rides and door prizes from top vendors. Kudos and awards went out to various Scooter clubs, as well as participants who, for example, rode the furthest distance to attend MASR. 2010 was when I took ownership of my Can Am Spyder RT, but I continued to enjoy MASR as a guest. New Holland had become a very special place, with all the great folks and my fondness for Will and his family. In Fall 2010, Will handed the reins over to another Road Captain. Michael continued as Rally Host.

The Spring 2011 Rally went off okay, but by August 2011, the Fall MASR had not been announced. I telephoned Michael, to ask what was going on; he related difficulties on the event committee, and that the new r/c's wished to pull MASR out of, and were otherwise not interested in continuing in New Holland; so they left. Of course, there was more to it than that, but I digress. I told Michael that I would be willing to help with some route planning, as I had been doing that for the past year with Maryland Spyder Web (MSW).

Then came the Fall 2011 email announcement: "Paul Armstrong has volunteered as the new Rally Host and Road Captain." I didn't say that. I said I would help with route planning. Then, Michael disappeared with all the sponsorship contacts, leaving Will and I to host MASR as best we could with remaining members.

My fondness of MASR and friendship with Will, Scott and others drove me to host the Fall '11, Spring and Fall '12 and Spring and Fall '13 rallies ... five of them to date. I should not leave out crucial ride management assistance from the Scoot community ... Jeff Barnes, Jonathan (Hammy) Tan, Jim Ciolek, Scott Gilliland and his sons; also Tony Disalvo and Rose Ambrose. Then too, there have been participants from MSW, who have helped immensely. I thank them all ... all of them have saved my butt at various times, given the numbers, to help in ride management. Yet, for all these great things, it has focused on helping me me manage the event; not for them to inherit its leadership.

Current Situation:

As of Fall 2013, Scooter attendance was down; Spyder attendance was up; we have a larger staff of Spyder leaders than Scoot leaders. Spyder folks who attend absolutely enjoy MASR, but each iteration carries diffused focus of a Spyder forum leader coming to New Holland twice per year to host scooter rallies with increasing numbers of Spyders dangling from them. Spyders dangle well from pretty much anything they attach a web to, but again, my intention was only to steward MASR, not run it ad infinitum, and we Spyder folks didn't want to become MASR's frankenfish as it were. MSW and I also have legitimate interest in growing our Spyder community and hosting our own rally activities, but not to the detriment of MASR.

Manpower and time constraints, have challenged MASR to recover what was a key nexus of the event ... its sponsors. For me, a full-time career, living 100 miles away, expense of coming to New Holland twice per year, in addition to the rallies, to pre-ride routes, recon stops and eateries ... updating the web site, taking registrations and waivers ... This past fall, MSW dispatched its VP to visit Mt. Joy and make MASR's arrangements at Bubes Brewery. It's all been a labor of fondness and dedication, but one hopes everyone can understand why this should really be the fondness and dedication of the Scooter Community. It can be done easily with a dedicated committee ... for one person it can get weighty.

At the Fall Rally dinner, I put out the call again. Crickets. Recently, I was looking at a thread about MASR on BurgmanUSA.com, and one of the posts read, "Where's the enthusiasm?" Understandable. Despite good attendance, I did not foresee that so many key players who were either founders of MASR or at least consistent patrons would ebb away ... most with good reasons outside of the rally ... but with no back-fill. MASR needs leaders from the Scoot Community to take MASR on and keep it in its tradition; yours truly needs to step back and remain a friend to the event.

At best, MASR has become two rallies, Scoot and Spyder. But if the masthead of the event is to be Scooter, then a Scooter rally should be led by those who ride scoots. It ties in with the passion and energy that goes into every aspect of the event. It's not that other ride types can't attend a scoot rally (IMHO). When led by scooter enthusiasts, we had guest riders on baggers, Goldwings, Spyders ... you name it ... But a rally, if not an open rally, must have a nexus ... Scoot or Spyder, Harley or Goldwing, etc., that doesn't conflict with its branding and sponsors.

So where from here?

Consider the local Scooter clubs ... York County, TMI, Royal Bastards, EZ Riders, Northern Barnstormers ... the Penn-NJ Scooter Mob ... Women on Wheels ... the list goes on and on ... All of whom have strong riders who lead their own or other groups ... why not unite to lead MASR? What a great committee would arise if formed from leadership from all these great scooter clubs! An idea might be to pass event leadership between clubs each year. That's what weighs upon me most profoundly when I think of a Spyder organization as a life buoy for an event that should be led by a Scooter organization.

Many would be content just to form each Spring and Fall in New Holland and ride, see me or whoever else as the host, no matter what the accoutrements, but that's a ride, not a rally. There is a fairly good contingent who long for the old MASR, as well as some who want a newly re-constituted MASR. It takes THE SCOOTER COMMUNITY to reach consensus on and master the latter two objectives.

I do not want to abandon MASR; however, I am reticent to announce the Spring 2014 event if no other leadership steps forward. If the Scooter Community wants MASR to continue, NOW is the time for the Scooter Community to step up. If new leaders emerge, I'm happy to announce and get them set up at the next rally, help as needed, pass all my route packs, attend and even lead ride groups, but again, I will then step back. If a group steps up and says, "Paul, thanks .. .we'll take it," and doesn't wish further involvement from me, I understand and would accept that too. If not, then my intent is to not announce a Spring MASR; a vacuum will form, and circumstances will determine what evolves.

In friendship and happy holidays ...

Paul Armstrong

Please address replies to [email protected]

·
Registered
279 Posts
Masr

Mike Engelman never served as a Host/Road Captain. His position was limited to Sponsorship and registration chairman.

Former Hosts/Road Captains were:

Jeff Barnes
Will Lewis
Greg Mines
Paul Armstrong (Current)

I will be in communication with Paul and will determine the future direction of
the Mid Atlantic Scooter Rallies. It may well revert solely to the Scooter community only, as it was originally founded. Scooter rider attendance has diminished and riders have complained that the MASR is drifting away from it's original intent.

This is NOT to indicate that Paul has in any way made a bad decision with incorporating the Spyder group. In my mind he has done a great job.

Will Lewis
Co-Founder

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to Will

Mike Engelman never served as a Host/Road Captain. His position was limited to Sponsorship and registration chairman.

Will Lewis
Co-Founder
But he adorned himself with so many titles ... heh heh ... Well, he told me he was the Rally Host and lessee ... how'd he put it ... ah ... here we go ... right from his email:

"Registration Coordinator
Door Prize Chairman
All around Conscience of the Mid Atlantic Scooter Rally ; )"

I appreciated his stage presence. I guess he was never the 'Host,' but when someone says he or she is the "all around conscience," it registers mentally as a 'host.' :tongue:

Okay, so: I think I've communicated forward direction, that being suspended pending leadership from the scoot community. With 235 views on this site alone, I think it's safe to say the word's out. If it's a scoot rally, it needs representative leadership from that community. Otherwise it's a Spyder rally, and as you say ... increasing sentiment is that MASR has lost focus. IMHO, the reason the focus is lost is because of a lack of impassioned leadership from the very community that founded it, and I really really tried to invest as much passion as a Spyder ryder could over five events. Ultimately though, it's just as if a HOG person were trying to host a Goldwing rally. I've communicated with the leadership of all major regional Scoot clubs. No response. Not disrespected, but seems to communicate an answer to the question. I'm also sure most have seen my Farewell and vaya con dios message on the MASR home page. It doesn't say 'end;' it says pause. (Hint: Someone please step forward?) I've also communicated with the web master, Sean; I still have access privileges to the site, and Sean and I have agreed to leave the site up for one year in hopes MASR will re-form.

I love ya Will ... your family and all the alumni of MASR and theirs. Our friendships are everlasting. The reality though seems to be that the Scoot community is re-assessing how it wants to be active in the area. One of the former founders did email me, expressed appreciation, but also noted MASR has had a good 10 year run. I've received no communications expressing displeasure, disagreement or hostility and to all I'm so appreciative of that. It's going to make me miss everyone!

Folks around New Holland will see me again. As a matter of fact, my Spyder Organization (www.marylandspyderweb.com) has an Amish Country Tour scheduled for the weekend of May 16th through 18th. Scoot friends may attend to a limit (based on ride staff); however, I need to say that this will be a Spyder-centric event, ridden at the distances, capabilities and speeds a Spyder can comfortably and safely sustain. Usually the bigger scoots can match that; the smaller ones and stiffer triked-out ones might have challenges. I would ask that if someone is looking at a mini MASR or otherwise, please email me so we can de-conflict on accommodations. If nothing else, we hope that friends in the area will ride through to say hello or join us for a meal.

In friendship,

Paul Armstrong

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Paul,

While I was only able to get up there one time, I understand the effort you put into it and think you did a very good job. You were also very attentive and tried within reason to accomodate all the riders. I wish it were closer to have attended regularly.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul,

While I was only able to get up there one time, I understand the effort you put into it and think you did a very good job. You were also very attentive and tried within reason to accomodate all the riders. I wish it were closer to have attended regularly.
Carey, enjoyed seeing you at the rallies and meeting you again when you came into the Baltimore area with Sean when he bought my Burgman. Your donations to our drawings were a hit. You've got a great product. I will be in Ohio this coming fall ... October ... for the Ohio Spyder Ryders fall event at Salt Fork State Park near Cambridge (www.ohiospyderryders.org). Not sure if you'd be interested in marketing to that community, but you offer a nice alternative to stock seats. :)

Thanks for your note and in friendship,

Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think what really happened is they started mixing in the little scoots that really couldn't keep up with the Maxis.
the rides started to change, that is why I drifted away.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think what really happened is they started mixing in the little scoots that really couldn't keep up with the Maxis.
the rides started to change, that is why I drifted away.
Not sure when your last attendance was, friend ... Beginning in 2012 MASR separated into multiple ride groups, the smaller scoots being led by Scott Gilliland. Worked well. I'll tell ya ... at the Fall 2012 event there was a hero on a little 150cc who kept up with the Spyders and Maxis just fine. Again though ... after leading five events, it's pretty clear MASR just needs leadership from its base community, no matter what size or flavor of ride is involved. Appreciate your comments.

Best,

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess I'm missing something is there a ride and can any scooter get in or must you be a member of MASH or whatever?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
1) SilverSurfer is referring to the fact that the rally is becoming mostly Spyders and a lack of support is coming from the scooter partipicants.

2) Normally with the scooter rallys found on BurgmanUSA, they do some faster rides and at least a 250cc is needed to keep up in some of the sections.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1) SilverSurfer is referring to the fact that the rally is becoming mostly Spyders and a lack of support is coming from the scooter partipicants.
Well, it wasn't 'mostly' Spyders, but it was trending in that direction. This is what happens given a number of variables. Perhaps the MASR community alumni, while appreciating the rally, also have their own clubs and activities. Will Lewis mentioned something about offering sponsorship to YCSC, which makes sense because it is the closest large body of Scoot enthusiasts. Yet so far, one doesn't see a lot of local scoot community plans ... YCSC, TMI, etc. for 2014. Yet, it's out there for sure. Maybe like a sleeping volcano ... waiting to re-erupt. At some point, the local clubs are going to get together and a new 'event' will emerge. Scoots are talked about! I saw this article posted on Lancaster online:

http://lancasteronline.com/lifestyl...cle_ec570769-ebc7-5880-83bf-dbc1fef1e8d8.html

Over here in the Spyder community, Maryland Spyder Web has opted to plan and post all its 2014 event schedule. We have also worked hard on our branding with patches, pins and various banner art. One can see at our site (www.marylandspyderweb.com), that several of our events are already full, including an Amish Country Tour we're putting together for New Holland in May. This is not to brag. What it is saying is that to keep something like MASR alive, it takes passion, vision, creativity and getting the word out well in advance.

I certainly tried to at least get the word out as MASR's outgoing host; however, as mentioned before, we had a community mismatch. We can mix, but we can't be one-sided. MASR ... or whatever the next evolution might be, needs leadership and vision from the Scoot community. I sincerely and genuinely wish and hope to see that eventuality re-emerge.

Paul

·
Registered
500 Posts
Paul
The intent that was put forth in late 2011 by Greg and myself was not to leave New Holland but to spice things up a bit. What we had wanted to do was to leave the Spring ride "Anchored" in New Holland and move the fall ride to various locations in the Mid Atlantic region. There was never any talk of leaving New Holland entirely, this myth was perpetrated by Mike Engleman. The main reason that Greg, Paul and I left was not the debate about moving the rides, it was the personal attacks that Mike waged on the 3 of us.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow it's been so long since I've posted on this forum that I almost forgot how to do it.
Well Jim pretty much summed up our MASR exit in a nutshell. But we do miss the New Holland area, the people we met there, and the fun times we had.

I would still like to do a ride there this year, but don't want to deal with all the hoopla that goes with organizing these rides, it just takes too much out of you, as all the previous organizers will attest to.

So I'm going to put out a feeler under a new post, I'll probably call it something like MASR resurrection ride? And we will (or I, if I get no volunteers to help) will go from there.

Keep an eye out for the post!

Greg

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
IMHO;
While each of the Rally Host did their very best to maintain a high level if participation and satisfaction in the yearly rally, one of the best scooter group rides in the east ,began to dissolve ,when the discussion of a possible change of the MASC from New Holland, to a varied location in Pa. in an attempt to draw new Scooter Riders and renew the interest of past riders, with new roads Motels ,Restaurant, ETC
This was suggested by several of the Scooter riders and presented by the then Rally Host, in an attempt to revive interest in the group
Unfortunately, what was intended to be a group decision, resulted in conversations and E-Mails, that left a quantity of Riders, somewhat disgusted with the actions of a few, and the confrontational attitude against anything new, to the extent that, like myself, began to loose interest in the group.
Subsequent inclusion of a greater number of Non Scooters ,further diminished the interest of some Scooter Riders
I agree with Paul that each type of ride (Scooter- Can Am -Cycle) seems to flow toward a group of like Riders , and hope that If MASR is regrouped it would consider the Scooter as the Main Ride for participation..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts