Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have jsut asked my del=aler for a cost to replace my rear tyre with the original Bridgestone and
he says for very little more the above tire is more superior.

Anyone use it and comments appriecated.

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
I haven't used one yet but I plan to on my next tire change. A lady I ride with installed one on her 650. Handling wise she says it compares well with the Michelin Pilot Sport SC she and I both use to run on our 650s. That was my tire of choice until it was no longer available. She hasn't run it long enough to tell how it will wear. We both have been disappointed with the wear mileage we have been getting from the Bridgestone and hope the Pilot Road 4 SC will do as well as the Pilot Sport SC did.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I recently replaced a worn-out rear Bridgestone with the Michelin Pilot road 4 tire. It was slightly more expensive than the Bridgestone. At this point, I really cannot judge because I used the Bridgestone when it was near its end (I bought the bike with the Bridgestone on it) and do not know how well a new Bridgestone performs. But I am happy with the Michelin. When the road is wet I take bends with caution but do push the envelope just to stay on the sharp end without going crazy and I think the Pilot performs well, the bike is rock solid. I still have the Bridgestone upfront and will replace soon with the Michelin Pilot Power 3

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've got them on the front and I don't like there sports bike handling your either vertical or full on lean :-( ... and have the (SC i think) Bridgestone on the rear seem ok.

Next set I'll be going back to Dunlop nice neutral steering softer ride than B/S but a little less mileage even though the tread has depth they lose there grip but out of them all there the best now B/S have dropped TH01

Greg

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
Wait what? They brought 'em back a while ago and are still kicking them out in smallish numbers far's I can tell.

...now B/S have dropped TH01

Greg

·
Registered
733 Posts
Not in the U.S.of Australia :-(

Greg

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with Greg to a degree. I have the Pilot Road 4 SC front and rear, and going from the stock front tire to the Michelin, it took some getting used to the aggressive turn-in of the Michelin.

Jury is still out on whether or not it's worth the (supposedly) greater tread life to go with the Michelins. They're nice tires, though.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have dunlop smartscoot on mine now. they are horrible. maybe theyre better for hotter settings because winter, they are crap.
I had pirelli diablo rosso scooter. wow, they are phenomenal. I was riding 120km/h in massive downpour and they were tight. shame I couldnt find another in time for the switch and hence I have the dunlop. never again.

michelins are good. dual compound I believe. they never lasted long. around 7000miles as the pirelli
I would love to try the bridgestone but we dont have that here. would love to get my hands on a german tire heindenau but not sure they have the b400 size. id like to try metzler or avon if I couldnt find pirelli DRS next time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well time for my rant, just got 8000 miles out of rear tire on my Burgy 650. From what I'm reading that appears to be what to expect from an OEM tire, the front has 12000 miles on it. Well on a trip the other day the rear tire failed, no injury incident except begin out in no where when it took place. So I love my 650, but I'm disappointed in rear tire wear. And I can't seem to find any alternatives that are better, so I'm probably going to replace it with another OEM tire along with replacing the front also. Any of you guys have any better ideas? I put about 10000+ miles a year on my 2018 scoot, and I'm not an aggressive rider.

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Well time for my rant, just got 8000 miles out of rear tire on my Burgy 650. From what I'm reading that appears to be what to expect from an OEM tire, the front has 12000 miles on it. So I love my 650, but I'm disappointed in rear tire wear. And I can't seem to find any alternatives that are better, so I'm probably going to replace it with another OEM tire along with replacing the front also. Any of you guys have any better ideas? I put about 10000+ miles a year on my 2018 scoot, and I'm not an aggressive rider.
I got the same mileage from the original back tire on my bike. All things considered I was a bit dismayed by that. At the time I was putting about 15K per year on mine. My front was changed at 14K and there was still a slight margin of miles left in it. My yearly total on the bike has been less for the last few years but I switch between the Burgman and my Triumph usually twice during the course of a year. I looked at several different brands before doing a tire change on the Burgman. Considering the size compared to bigger bike tires, all were too expensive.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Dan, this is one thing that we can not change too much. The rear tire will wear twice as fast as a front. You can try changing brands and gain maybe 1,000 miles max.

Two options I went with.
1. A much cheaper tire that wore out the same. Spending $140 to $200 for a top brand compaired to a less costing tire like a Michelin City grip ($90) or the Shinko SR568 ($55) These are Bias Ply and also 150/70 14 in size but are well liked by many on here.

For the $165 you spend for that Michelin Road 4, you can get about the same miles out of the Shinko SR568 but buy 3 of them. Price point win.

2. The much talked about DARKSIDE Car Tire. This option will give you 20,000-40,000 miles of wear on the rear. It is NOT an easy install and may not be legal in your area. It also has some added risks that some will (LOUDLY) point out at times. I do use a Car tire but I also will not recommend anyone to do so. Do so at your own risk and after doing your own research.

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Well time for my rant, just got 8000 miles out of rear tire on my Burgy 650. From what I'm reading that appears to be what to expect from an OEM tire, the front has 12000 miles on it. Well on a trip the other day the rear tire failed, no injury incident except begin out in no where when it took place. So I love my 650, but I'm disappointed in rear tire wear. And I can't seem to find any alternatives that are better, so I'm probably going to replace it with another OEM tire along with replacing the front also. Any of you guys have any better ideas? I put about 10000+ miles a year on my 2018 scoot, and I'm not an aggressive rider.
@FLDan
Shhh!!! Don't tell anyone but option #2 mentioned by our Potentate of all things Burgman is what I have done to mine. I would not try to tell anyone to do or not do but rather tell you my experiences. For me it worked. Tire life more than doubled and at about half the cost of an OEM tire. Handling was not changed in any detrimental manner. They are a bit harder to seat but for the two I have mounted, not unduly hard or approaching dangerous conditions. Anyway, as said. These are my experiences. I did my research and decided to try it. It if worked, all's well. If it didn't, it would not be the first time I spent a few bucks to find out or try something new.

·
Registered
72 Posts
@FLDan
Shhh!!! Don't tell anyone but option #2 mentioned by our Potentate of all things Burgman is what I have done to mine. I would not try to tell anyone to do or not do but rather tell you my experiences. For me it worked. Tire life more than doubled and at about half the cost of an OEM tire. Handling was not changed in any detrimental manner. They are a bit harder to seat but for the two I have mounted, not unduly hard or approaching dangerous conditions. Anyway, as said. These are my experiences. I did my research and decided to try it. It if worked, all's well. If it didn't, it would not be the first time I spent a few bucks to find out or try something new.
What tire brand did you use? And what size?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I put Battlax Scooter SC2 tires on front and back, inflated to 40 front and 42 rear. Went for a 50 mile ride today and they handle nice, we will see how they wear.

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. I have been traveling for a few days to get back home in time for the "protests". I have a 165/65R14. The name is Super Steel 657 and it is manufactured by Federal Tires.. It works okay but as far as I can see, it is the absolute largest size that will fit. I had to stiffen my shocks to keep from rubbing under the plastic tub.It isn't for everyone but it does work with no detrimental side effects that I have found in 25K miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts