Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bridgestone isn't worn out yet but when I was riding Sunday I noticed two spots on it that worried me a little. It had two indentions right on the enter line of the tire about 4 inches apart. One is about 1 inch in diameter and the other is oblong about 1 inch wide and 2 inches long. They are about 1/8 inch deep. They don't seem to be causing any problems. The tire does not vibrate or anything and it is holding air just fine but they bother me a bit so I went ahead and ordered a new rear tire.

When I went to AMT to order a tire I saw a new option. It is a Michelin Pilot Pure SC tire. It looks interesting with a duel compound. It has a slick strip of harder compound in the center to make it wear longer. Once you lean it over it goes to a softer compound with a very distinctive thread pattern. The thread is supposedly patterned after Michelin's racing rain tires and is suppose to give better grip in wet conditions.

Once I have it mounted and ride it a bit I will post my opinions on how it works.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I am anxious to read your review of how it handles in the wet. :)

Chris

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is scheduled to be delivered on Friday. Depending on how early in the day it arrives I may or may not be able to get it mounted Friday. If not I may ride this weekend on the old tire.

We normally don't have a lot of rain around here in the late summer unless a tropical storm comes into the gulf so it might be a while before I get a chance to test out it's wet weather performance. On the other hand, I totaled 3.5 inches of rain Thursday, Friday and Saturday of last week so who knows.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I couldn't find a pair in stock for mine when I needed them so I went with their City Grips.
I too will be interested in how they perform.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
We have been having nothing but rain, every afternoon after 2:00, for a couple weeks now.

We lost two small Koi from our fish pond because it overflowed and so did they! They ended up under the garden shed (10' x 10'), just about dead center, and the "stench is great"...

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scootereno said:
I couldn't find a pair in stock for mine when I needed them so I went with their City Grips.
I too will be interested in how they perform.
Both AMT and Motorcycle Superstore seem to have them in stock right now.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cliffyk said:
We have been having nothing but rain, every afternoon after 2:00, for a couple weeks now.

We lost two small Koi from our fish pond because it overflowed and so did they! They ended up under the garden shed (10' x 10'), just about dead center, and the "stench is great"...

I bet it was :lol: .

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My son has been riding on Michelin dual compound tires for a couple of years on his R6...wear well...stick like glue in the rain and corners...and he corners :lol: no chicken strips on his tires :lol:

Very interested in your review

Bill

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My new tire is suppose to be delivered today so I pulled the wheel off the bike in preparation for taking it to get the new tire mounted. I took a picture of the old Bridgestone tie so you can see the depressions I was talking about. When I rolled the bike in the shop over the gravel drive it left the two indentions clean while coloring the rest of the tread so you can see them quite well. I measured the depth and they are 1.8 mm deep. They also are kind of soft and I can press in the rubber in them easier than I can on the rest of the tire. It will be interesting to see what the tire looks like on the inside after it is removed. The tire has about 5,000 miles on it.
[attachment=0:3frp08ay]HPIM2105.JPG[/attachment:3frp08ay]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is what I'm thinking and why I'm going to replace it. Never seen one indent like that though. Usually when the tread separates you get a bubble not a depression.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't do my own tire mounting so I won't have my tools available to cut it and if I bring it home then I will have to deal with disposing of it. The trash company won't let me just throw it in the trash.

I'll ask the installers to let me see it after they get it off. If the tread is separating it should be noticeable from the inside.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Buffalo said:
I don't do my own tire mounting so I won't have my tools available to cut it and if I bring it home then I will have to deal with disposing of it. The trash company won't let me just throw it in the trash.

I'll ask the installers to let me see it after they get it off. If the tread is separating it should be noticeable from the inside.
All you need is a utility knife. Unless it's steel belted, they cut easily--surprisingly easily, which can make you wonder...

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure what kind of belt it has in it. Don't really want to be trying to cut it up on the shop's floor though.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fed Ex delivered the new tire just a little late to get it mounted today so will have to wait until in the morning.

Interesting tread pattern.
[attachment=0:37cqv6dj]HPIM2113.JPG[/attachment:37cqv6dj]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
One thing you will notice if you look at the old tire is how thin it will be round the middle,
wile I know it's bound to be thinner it always sunrises me just how thin they get and I
suspect your marks are something to do with that.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the Pilot Sure mounted this morning. The guys at the shop were commenting on it. A couple of them are running Pilot Sure tires on their bikes but this is the first time they had seen one in a scooter size. They said they liked the tire on their bikes and they were getting good mileage out of it.

I took the bike out for a 25 mile ride just to scuff in the tire some. I think I am going to like it. I didn't do any center stand scraping corners but I banked it over pretty good and didn't notice any handling quirks. It was predictable with good turn in and feel characteristics. I'm scheduled to do a 350 mile ride tomorrow so I will give it a better checkout then. We have a slight chance of rain showers tomorrow so I might even get to see how it handles the wet.

I looked at the inside of the Bridgestone after they got it dismounted. You couldn't see anything unusual just looking at it but it was very soft in those two spots. It only took a light touch on the outside to see it flex in. On the rest of the tire it too quite a bit more force to get it to flex in. That tells me the cord probably was separated.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Good beans...

I will have to wait to order mine (that will make SWMBO a happier camper) as I picked up a spare rear wheel with a Hoop on it that has an easy 2500 miles left in it. I'll put that wheel/tire on in a couple weeks when the Avon Vipre Strike is done and then get the Michelin.

I got the rear and front (with a like new Hoop) wheels, forks, caliper, speed sensor et al from a 2005 as a package for $175..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts