Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With maturity come more wisdom and bike accident force you slow down with time, I not ride at speed use to ride when younger or even 3 year ago, so think perhap quality bias ply tire would do good job so considering replacing Bstone frt & Michelin rear radial combo with City Grip.

Average speed normally probably 60-75 mph with 20% in 80-90+ mph City Grip perhaps become a good choice with more soft ride, worried however about twisty ride, really really love me heavy twisty riding and fear may suffer here without radial tire, been so long not ride bias ply I now forget that feeling and handling.

What think you ? - - - - - - -Please comment !

·
Registered
94 Posts
Fear not! Remember the "good old days"...Kenny Roberts on the incredible Yamaha TZ750 miler/roadracer. No use of radial tires back then.

Ed

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Chérie, I have not tried the City Grips from Michelin yet. But I have run the BIAS Ply Michelin Gold Standards (GS) both front and rear before I went Darkside on the rear. The rear 150/70 SR 14 GS was a very good tire, just a bit taller than a 160/60 HR 14. I think you will like the City Grips.

·
Registered
415 Posts
With maturity come more wisdom and bike accident force you slow down with time, I not ride at speed use to ride when younger or even 3 year ago, so think perhap quality bias ply tire would do good job so considering replacing Bstone frt & Michelin rear radial combo with City Grip.

Average speed normally probably 60-75 mph with 20% in 80-90+ mph City Grip perhaps become a good choice with more soft ride, worried however about twisty ride, really really love me heavy twisty riding and fear may suffer here without radial tire, been so long not ride bias ply I now forget that feeling and handling.

What think you ? - - - - - - -Please comment !
I have been using the City Grip for a couple of years, currently I am running a larger version back tire City Grip (140/70 15) on the front and I am even happier with it due to special back tire I am running (185/60 r14). I had been running the City Grip 120/70 15 previously, and I think you will find it to be a good tire for your use.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
I have been using the City Grip for a couple of years, currently I am running a larger version back tire City Grip (140/70 15) on the front and I am even happier with it due to special back tire I am running (185/60 r14). I had been running the City Grip 120/70 15 previously, and I think you will find it to be a good tire for your use.
I just mounted my 185/60 HR14 rear tire and will have a Shinko 120/70 B15 on front. If I do not like the Shinko or it wears out, I just last week ordered 2 of the Michelin Gold Standard 120/70 B 15's. I was told that the City Grip is built off the same carcass as the Gold Standard. The tread pattern is different though.

What is the wear pattern on that 140/70 15 rear tire on front?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just mounted my 185/60 HR14 rear tire and will have a Shinko 120/70 B15 on front. If I do not like the Shinko or it wears out, I just last week ordered 2 of the Michelin Gold Standard 120/70 B 15's. I was told that the City Grip is built off the same carcass as the Gold Standard. The tread pattern is different though.

What is the wear pattern on that 140/70 15 rear tire on front?
What brand of 185/60 HR 14 are you running? I find that the CG 140/70 15 is holding up better than the CG 120/70 15 I was running, the tread of the 140 is deeper as well. I did notice that the 120/70 15 wore much faster on the sides, and the tire began to have more of a "wedge" shape to it when it needed replacing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have 4,000 miles on my front Shinko tire and couldn't be happier. I changed out the rear shinko at 3800 miles because i was moving and trusted my bike mechanic where i was. Probably would have got another 1,000 miles out of the rear tire. Had it changed when i had the valves checked, spark plugs changed and coolant replaced.
Still have a spare front shinko sitting in the garage. BTW, BOTH tires cost me $98 total.
Can't beat the prices or the ride.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Would it be OK to use 140/70-15 frt city grip with 150/70-14 rear city grip ?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Would it be OK to use 140/70-15 frt city grip with 150/70-14 rear city grip ?
Probably be OK, it will put your headlights a little higher. with the 150/70-14 rear your back wheel will be 9 mm taller than oem 160/60-14 and using a 140/70-15 on the front will put the front 14mm taller than the oem 120/70-15 so you'll have a gain of 5mm more height on the front than the normal oem configuration, so it shouldn't be too noticeable. But you'll have to actually try it out for yourself to know for sure.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I've just ordered a City Grip 140/70-15 rear tire as my new front tire.

It's only got a "P" speed rating (150 kilometers per hour), but i never ride that fast, so I have no fear of it exploding.
I look forward to a more compliant ride.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just ordered a City Grip 140/70-15 rear tire as my new front tire.

It's only got a "P" speed rating (150 kilometers per hour), but i never ride that fast, so I have no fear of it exploding.
I look forward to a more compliant ride.
Please give report when you use for 3000-4000 km.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The larger 140/70-15 CityGrip and the Fenda-Extenda modflap don't go together well..
Thank you for advising of this.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
double darkside or not ??

WingMan
are you running the 140/70-15 reversed or the directions of the arrow??
thanks
Sean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts