Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had the delightful experience to find a fairly decent size metal chip on their oil drain plug? I know I'm dreaming here, and something is very wrong, but my stomach is turning and I'm wondering what I bought that only lasted a month.
There was no metal in the oil or the filter, just the drain plug.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Two thoughts...
1. Can you post a picture? Perhaps put something next to it for size reference.
2. It should still be under warranty.

Chris

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I bought my bike 2nd hand with 1500 miles which never had its oil changed, when I changed the oil the drain plug had a couple of noticeable sized pieces of metal stuck to it but haven't seen anything on the plug since which now was over 21000 miles ago. If the bike is running fine and you don't find anymore large pieces I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
InfernoST said:
I bought my bike 2nd hand with 1500 miles which never had its oil changed, when I changed the oil the drain plug had a couple of noticeable sized pieces of metal stuck to it but haven't seen anything on the plug since which now was over 21000 miles ago. If the bike is running fine and you don't find anymore large pieces I wouldn't worry about it too much.
+1............. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Mike, as has already been said, if the bike is running ok I would not worry. These are the main reasons for saying that. I can assure you that metal particules are normal to find on the magnetic drain plug on new and newer bikes. One or two of those might be fairly big. It's either metal that has been worn/knocked off a component in the engine as part of the running in process, or/and it's swarf or particulate matter left in the engine from the manufacturing process. Both of those things happen and is normal. I've serviced more new bikes than you have had hot dinners and it's always the same. Does the bike smoke or make unusual noise? I bet not. If it does then it's under warranty and your dealer will sort it for you. I would add that if you do have a problem, you would be one of just a tiny tiny number of people world wide with a problem, which will be fixed of course. I would add it's almost unheard of for the 400's to have a problem of any kind even if you thrash the engine from new.

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
Quantum Mechanic said:
Mike, as has already been said, if the bike is running ok I would not worry. These are the main reasons for saying that. I can assure you that metal particules are normal to find on the magnetic drain plug on new and newer bikes. One or two of those might be fairly big. It's either metal that has been worn/knocked off a component in the engine as part of the running in process, or/and it's swarf or particulate matter left in the engine from the manufacturing process. Both of those things happen and is normal. I've serviced more new bikes than you have had hot dinners and it's always the same. Does the bike smoke or make unusual noise? I bet not. If it does then it's under warranty and your dealer will sort it for you. I would add that if you do have a problem, you would be one of just a tiny tiny number of people world wide with a problem, which will be fixed of course. I would add it's almost unheard of for the 400's to have a problem of any kind even if you thrash the engine from new.

yup

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Be thankful for the magnetic oil drain plug and if it ain't broke don't fix it, keep riding until winter and the ice and snow come. :thumbup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
and i would totally agree with all who have commented but just want to state the obvious as THAT IS THE REASON FOR THE MAGNETIC PLUG ! just like "quantum" stated, i myself have seen seen some pretty crazy stuff in the transmission pans and oil catch basins we use at the car dealership where i work. i know you cant help but worry about it but unless the engine is completely dismantled youll NEVER know where it came from as it was barly attatched anyways if it came loose that easy. hmmm, i thought this was kinda tongue in cheek funny:

why do you think they call it the "break in " process ? :shock:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a cleaned up and calmed down last night, I took it for a ride. Starts right up and purred like a kitten, I smiled and thought to myself, "there's nothing wrong with this bike".
I'll be watching to see what the next oil change flushes out. Metal filings, yes, but this was as big around as a HALF of a pencil eraser, yet paper thin. Anyway, worrying will do nothing. I love this bike. It has warranty for another 8+ months (if I don't extend it). The motor sounds fine and runs great, so I agree with you guys on what I should do, RIDE IT. :cheers:
Thank you all very much for the calming words of encouragement, I really, really appreciate it!
Mike. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts