Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 5 years and 40k miles, for the first time the Burgman was not ready to go when I was. I went to start it up this morning and the starter button could not be pushed in. I took the control assembly apart this evening and the plastic on the sliding section has melted to the outer switch housing. Hopefully Suzuki will sell the pieces I need but I am afraid they will only sell the entire control assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
You wouldn't have anything else extra plugged into the headlight circuit by chance? have not seen a stock starter switch look like that one before.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I do not have anything hooked up to the light circuit. The only accessory I have is heated gloves that are hooked up directly to the battery with an in-line fuse. The only thing I can think of that I do that may have contributed to this is I usually ride on the freeway in manual-overdrive transmission setting. When I come upon slower moving traffic I switch the transmission to auto mode. Perhaps the increase in RPM's can cause a temporary power increase?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
They run on separate circuits and the rest of the system is "supposed" to be balanced for the stator output. Have higher wattage bulbs or stock? Trying to think of possible causes. Hmm, unless the contact bar got a bit askew and turned into a heating element. That might do it, would have to look at the print...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hope mine doesn't get there. My starter button stuck yesterday. Turned it off, soon as I turned on key it started. sprayed it with lube. Watching that it pops out each time. Don't know if starter stayed engaged when it key started.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have 08 650. Almost 10,000 mi. The cvt screw problem I've been reading about- can someone show me which screw and what size. Saw one comment that it can be changed in bout 10 minutes? a bit skeptical.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Type "Stopper bolt" in the search field in the upper right corner and read the 100+ postings about the subject.

A broken stopper bolt is a symptom of the CVT failing, not the root cause of it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is not that uncommon. It is a well known problem with the suz dl650 wee strom (same cheap switch}which I have ridden for the last 7years. I got tired of getting stuck,and cleaning the start switch. The fix is to take the headlights off the starter switch. You can do this with relays. Or you can purchase the dual h4 headlight kit from eastern beaver and adapt it to the burgman

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks honsfun. If my replacement switch burns up again then I will look at taking the headlights off the starter switch.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Thanks honsfun. If my replacement switch burns up again then I will look at taking the headlights off the starter switch.
Here's the diagram of how Suzuki does it on the 2012 model.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Here's the diagram of how Suzuki does it on the 2012 model.
I have the wiring diagram of my 2007 printed out in colors on a 6' by 4' sheet, so it's really easy to follow the circuits. It seems like the designer was under strict orders not to use relays, even if it meant 3 times as many wires.

Some circuits go through 3 fuses and 2 separate contact sets in the ignition switch.

·
Registered
375 Posts
*Edit* Never mind. I see someone already answered the question on Page 1.

Don't the V-Strom folks have a solution for this? I seem to recall someone makes an adapter kit for the DL-650. I wonder if it could be adapted or used in the Burgman 650?

·
Super Moderator
2,368 Posts
Hope mine doesn't get there. My starter button stuck yesterday. Turned it off, soon as I turned on key it started. sprayed it with lube. Watching that it pops out each time. Don't know if starter stayed engaged when it key started.
Funny just had this happen to me today. First time ever in two burgers & ~38-39k miles.

I popped it open sprayed in some WD since I lacked contact cleaner.
I worked it manually a couple times to get it going, and it's still a little sticky if I push it all the way in.
Since pushing it all the way in is unnecessary, I put a (very) small o ring around the button to discourage that.
Seems to be OK after that bit of messing around. I'll probably take it apart once riding season is up and look it over more then unless it gives me more flak before fall.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What I did until I got a replacement button was to bridge the starter solonoid terminals on top of the battery. If you turn the key to the on position the use a screwdriver or pliers to bridge the terminals the starter will engage. This is just something to keep in mind that can be done to get on your way and not be stranded. As far as changing, it is pretty easy. There is a video on YouTube about cleaning the starter button that shows how to disassemble the right control assembly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts