Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 400
45000 miles
Replaced main ignition relay April 2018 with dbelectrical one.
All's well.
Yesterday, dead. No start. Turn key off then on. START!
But something ain't right.
Checked connections, 12v at relay. Took relay out.
30a fuse not blown but was melted to housing. Other slots partially melted!

Relay went south? High resistance = heat? Something else?

Looking for opinions before I buy another relay.... now I also have a Sportster to feed :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Couple of things can cause it. Overvoltage or poor connections causing an arc. I would replace it making sure the connections are clean and tight then kept any eye on it and keep a spare unless your charging system is playing up causing overvoltage and pushing the battery volts up, but that would become apparent very quickly.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've had instances where the first relay going bad left residue on the connecting terminal lugs. A replacement part will fix the proximate issue but the residue on the lugs will cause the terminals to overheat leading to premature 'refailure'
In my case, I ended up replacing the terminal connectors (or sockets) as well with the second relay.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Maybe ask the company that sold them and see what reason they may know so you dont go through this again, or even worse
Is this the starter relay you're talking about or a relay for lights/accessories?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cut the dbelectric relay open. There was dark spot on the round contactor. Evidence of arcing?
Hmmm.
Ordered 2 relays, will try a new one.
Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Did you contact dbelectric?
It may help anyone else here with the issue to understand what may have gone wrong?
Replacing is good. But dam the whole system could have fried or caught on fire. The fuse didnt do its job.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The starter motor isn't fused; the main fuse is for all the other electrics. Could be that the heat was from arcing on the starter relay contacts (or a loose connection) which a fuse wouldn't have prevented anyway.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
But why the need to replace the starter relay in the first place? Was it bad and you decided to opt for an aftermarket then oem? Just curious.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The main fuse for all the "other" electrics that melted may have nothing to do with the starter relay. Is it not some of the "other" electrics, like kickstand switch etc., that decide whether the starter relay will kick in? So what is drawing just a bit too much amperage through the main fuse to overheat it but not blow it? Aftermarket headlamps? Bad ground from the battery? Heated grips or clothing? A problem, such as corrosion or dirty contacts, in the ignition switch itself? A challenge to troubleshoot for sure. If the main fuse just flat blew a person could just disconnect one fuse at a time until the fuse stopped blowing; that would isolate the problem somewhat. A low level amperage overdraw can be time consuming to disassemble the most likely culprits. This will be interesting, wish I had it in my shop on a rainy day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Another thought. A picture of the fuse block would help. Was the heat most intense around the main fuse or another fuse? Scattered showers today on Vancouver Island and my chores are done so this is next best thing to actually riding... kinda...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Melting around main 30A fuse. Fuse not blown.
Replaced relay a few yrs ago, at the moment don't remember why :(
I had prob with starter, which I replaced too. I'll pull it and check it.
Got the Sportster back together, so I'm not in a rush with Burgy :)

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well well well 🙂 after hours of misery, and noticing that low beams didn't work every time, I found the multi-connector from handlebars to main harness was LOOSE. For a change, it wasn't the fault of that stupid mickey-mouse start switch :cool: Hope I got her done! Total: about $25 for 2 new relays.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pushed the halves securely together- CLICK- then made sure there was slack in each wire bundle. While i was in there, I did zip tie connector to ECU. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts