Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
MCN always put BMW in first places. nothing we don't know about though.

thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
...a manual mode that mimics a six-speed gearbox. “It ensures, when desired, that the engine is placed in the fat part of its powerband rather than waiting for the CVT to catch up to your demands,” says Kevin
Is clueless to mild a term to use?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Very good and comprehensive comparisons for the four scooters. Thanks for sharing that with us, MisterSolo.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here in France, most of the Maxi scooter comparisons seem to be complaining about "lack of precision" in steering the Burgman???
I've never tried a BMW, and would not want to be associated with the driving performance displayed by Beamer drivers, but I most certainly cannot complain in any way about the Burgman steering!
When looking to go for a Maxi scooter, I looked closely at the build quality, and the Burgman comes out tops to my mind.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You have to remember that the guys rating these scooters have two criteria in mind when they rank each scooter - does it handle - and more importantly - does it say BMW on the nameplate.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would rate the best scooter for the one with the best resale value, so far none are in that category. Plus two of the scooter tested are new to the market, how will they holdup over the years, question still not answered. It's ok to do test on new products, but the real test will be five years from now with several thousands of miles on them, we do know about the Suzuki's and Honda's, what about the other two. I think also that the key word here is Kymco and its ability to build good products for the long haul, so far it's in the test stages for me.

John

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I'm waiting on the local Kymco dealer by me to get their demo MyRoad 700i back so I can go look at and maybe even take it for a spin. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
The BMW scooter is really awesome to me at first but after reviewing the maintenance of he BMW I will still stay with the Burgman. The Burgman has about 10 years of refinement whereas the BMW and Kemko are new.
My last big ride was a BMW R100RT boxer. The beauty of it was that I could do all my own maintenance, including setting the valves. After 1999 the BMW bike was taken over by the car division and one could not do much of the maintenance themselves. Also after the car division took over the newer BMW bikes required much more maintenance.
respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
58 Posts
One of the big knocks I read about the BMW in many of the reviews is its very tall seat height compared to the other scooter tested.
We had a Tmax, but it was kind of a PITA for a short rider like me to handle in certain situations with my wife on back so we traded it in on our new 2012 Burgman 400. The Tmax seat is tall and wide and unlike the Burgman scooters, there are no cutouts in the floorboards.
I've sat on a new BMW scooter and while it was VERY nice, the seat height was an issue for me.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2013-bmw-c600-sport-c650-gt-review-video-91485.html

"The first stoplight we came to, in fact, caught me off guard when the reach to the ground was further than I was expecting."

"As a six-footer with no seat height issues (especially when riding scooters) I couldn’t help but wonder what BMW engineers were thinking creating a scooter with easy-to-ride parameters for people with no or limited two-wheel exposure but with a seat height bothersome to someone of my stature and experience. I mean, 31.9 inches is taller than the seat height of most sportbikes."

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Funny the comparision between this shoot out and another review at http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/189/16558/Motorcycle-Article/2014-Kymco-MyRoad-700i-First-Ride.aspx on the MyRoad 700i.

Their comments are more encouraging on the Kymco and contrast sharply with motorcycle.com's. "The engine runs quietly, is smooth and free from vibration at all speeds." "The MyRoad 700i offers plenty of ground clearance and can be ridden briskly with no hard parts touching down against pavement."

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My fellow BMW riding friends and I waited anxiously for the BMW scooters to be introduced and we rode 200 miles (round trip) to do a test ride. Since we are all short of inseam, we sat on them and didn't bother to take a ride. They were clearly taller than we were comfortable with. Three of us now have Burgman 650s. As I read BMW forums, there have been several teething problems with them and some have waited months for parts that should have been in stock or readily available.

Another thing that they ignored is the availability of dealers or someone familiar with scooters to repair them along with the ability to get parts. I'm in the middle of the mountains and the nearest BMW dealer is 100 miles with the next closest one 150. I have no idea where I would find a Kymco dealer. I can get to a Yamaha or Honda dealer in 25 miles one way and 40 miles in another. That is closer than the closest car dealers that sell Toyota, Honda, Cadillac, any European car and anything other than a Ford, GM (less Cadillac) or Chrysler dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I find it interesting that Kymco makes the engine for the BMW which they liked but not the Kymco 700 engine ?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I find it interesting that Kymco makes the engine for the BMW which they liked but not the Kymco 700 engine ?
Exactly, nor did they mention that Kymco assembled it, lol.

·
Registered
170 Posts
To begin with a mega scooter to me is a displacement of 1000cc or larger in the engine compartment. I guess I missed the touring portion of the test. You know where you put the Burgman in manual go to 6th gear and cruise at 5500 rpm and 95 mph. My Burgman just flat walks away from my Silverwing at that speed and I am guessing that it would do that to the Kymco and BMW as well.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would like to see scooter guys do these reviews , instead of motorcycle guys . Then I think the reader / watcher would get a better description or evaluation .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
170 Posts
The problem with these reviews are that they are all done by CROTCH ROCKET TEST PILOTS. That is the same as letting a race car driver write a review on Mini Vans. Everyone of those scooters are very capable because each one of the manufacturers are the best in the world.

First of all There is not a maxi scooter made out there that has enough floor board length for a 6 foot 4 person. Second the windshields are never tall enough. The first thing most of us replace on our scoots are the short narrow windshields. Why do people demand that 700cc scooters get 65MPH. Look I would not mind 36 MPG if my scoot had a 1300cc engine and all the air suspension and traction control. And yes I would pay 18 grand for it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am very content on what I have and the way I have it equipped. I read these write ups and shake my head. A bunch of young things who haven't learned to pay their way thru life and want what they want NOW and have all the answers. Just makes me wonder if they will know which answer goes with which question when the time comes. At my age I don't have to care what others think of my ride. I'm just gonna keep on riding and grinning.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The problem with these reviews are that they are all done by CROTCH ROCKET TEST PILOTS. That is the same as letting a race car driver write a review on Mini Vans. Everyone of those scooters are very capable because each one of the manufacturers are the best in the world.

First of all There is not a maxi scooter made out there that has enough floor board length for a 6 foot 4 person. Second the windshields are never tall enough. The first thing most of us replace on our scoots are the short narrow windshields. Why do people demand that 700cc scooters get 65MPH. Look I would not mind 36 MPG if my scoot had a 1300cc engine and all the air suspension and traction control. And yes I would pay 18 grand for it.
Dude I work with fits fine on my Qlink/Helix...he's 6'3" tall & wears a 16EEEE boot. (Yes...I do, in fact, work with Sasquatch.)

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I found it interesting that they said the exhaust on the 650 touched down on the right and the center stand on the left. Must be because of the different exhaust on the 2013/2014. On my 07 the center stand touches down first on both sides then the body work if you push it harder. I've never had the exhaust touch the ground. Not sure you could get it to before the center stand levered the rear wheel off the ground.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts