Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Me vs. Suzuki Motor of America

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  BRC Native 
#1 ·
This story began back in December of last year. Here's a link to the post if you are interested.

Now, the story finally ends. 39 days after ordering the new rectifier assembly, it arrived. My guys at MotoMetrik got it put together in about a day.

I then wrote a letter to Suzuki detailing the issues with the Burgman, explaining the no start/stall and power loss on the freeway incidents, discovery that the 32800-05H20 Rectifier Assembly was considered defective by Suzuki (in motorcycles OTHER than mine), and the long delay in getting the replacement part. I then asked for reimbursement for the parts, labor and transportation costs.

Suzuki responded with a letter denying my claim. The italics are mine.

“...Suzuki released a safety recall campaign 2A15 2A16 rectifier (32800-05H20) replacement in 2011 for several models that were fitted by the manufacturer with a regulator rectifier that turned out to be defective. The Burgmans that were included in that recall were all 2008 and 2009 models. Your 2012 Burgman is not included in this recall.”

Make sense to you? Me neither. So I decided to take them to small claims court.

Anyway, my hearing was today. Bryan Malyszek, Mediation Manager for Suzuki and I met before our case was called. We ended up going to court-appointed mediation before the hearing and Suzuki agreed to pay for the parts and labor. They were also required to pay the $70 in court costs. I had a major fail on my part in that I didn't bring the receipts for the transportation costs, but our mediator said that the commissioner probably wouldn't have awarded them anyway.

Bryan turned out to be a really nice guy. He was impressed by how much of a Burgman fan I was, that I had great things to say about the product. He said that if I ever had any questions or problems with a Suzuki product that I should contact him directly. He told me that he lives about 4 miles from work, but on some days, with traffic, it will take him 45 minutes to an hour to cover that distance. I told him to get a Burgman.

All's well that ends well.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice to know the little guy can win.
So how can I check to see if mine had the recall done as I bought it used.?

#4 ·
So how can I check to see if mine had the recall done as I bought it used?
The Burgmans that were included in that recall were all 2008 and 2009 models, so if yours is a 2007, it's not included.

#5 ·
BRC Native it appears Mike has an 09 Burgman 650 and has sold his 07 400.

#6 ·
My bad for some reason I was thinking 650 :oops:

#7 ·
Good going BRC. See you on a ride soon I hope.

#8 ·
:oops: I didn't realize the recall was only for the 400 ether. :oops: I also forgot to congratulate BRC Native for winning the suit, congratulations BRC Native.

#10 ·
Just for your information, Suzuki again recalled the rectifier for Skywave 250 and 400 in Japan. It published on April 2, 2015. Same problem as previous recall. Suzuki Japan recall no.3535. It includes some of replaced parts for the previous recall. It will happen when high rpm engine revolution after long time period of engine idling.

http://www.suzuki.co.jp/about/recall/2015/0402/

#11 ·
While you were waiting for the regulator/rectifier just about ANY 3-phase permanent magnet alternator 12V regulator/rectifier from a motorcycle 250 CC upwards could have been used as a more or less permanent substitute.
Replacing the r/r myself is something that I definitely would not try to do, which would have meant two labor charges. I felt pretty confident about the out come of my claim, so I figured I'd just wait it out.

#13 ·
Very informative and well written story on your problem.

What a pain it must have been to deal with all that. Glad you won.

Wondering what my 2011 400 Burgman has for a R/R?

PS: I had a problem with a 2007 Burgman 650 - too long story to repeat here, I did post at the time it happened. Would be under the 650 posts.

Short version, I think the R/R went and blew every light and the Computer (ECM) 12 v input. Maybe, R/R went because I put in an old KAWA 800 Cruiser battery for temporary use on a day I wanted to ride and battery was down (dead basically). The original battery had been showing signs of weakening.

All seemed OK for say 100 miles and then I was stranded about 70 miles from home.

Fortunately, I was able to fix myself and was only out about $400. I found a used ECM on E Bay for $110 that got it running again with a new battery. I also replaced the R/R and all light bulbs.

Interesting side of that was - after I had it running, I found on this site that there was a Customer Satisfaction on an idle problem (2007 Burgman 650) and cold get a new ECM (new design) and idle control valve (replaced at local dealer FREE). So, I did.

PSS: I gathered from inputs on this Forum that Suzuki R / R leave a lot to be desired (especially older models). Hope they have resolved those issues by now.

#16 ·
Paul, I'm not sure where the rectifier is located, but I think the mechanic said that it was fairly easy to get at, as opposed to the stator, which they also had to replace. But, I figure that any part that has cooling fins on it would probably be somewhere exposed to air. As to the part number, it's printed on the side.

#18 ·
What about my 2012?
That's a good question. Your Burgman is the same year as mine, so you also have the "defective" 05H20 part. The reason why Suzuki didn't replace them is remain unknown to us. However, it would seem that since it wasn't included in the recall, they won't replace in unless they are forced to.

If you haven't experienced the no-start/stall issues, it ain't broke and they won't fix it. If you are experiencing the issues, I'd start by going to a Suzuki dealer and explaining in detail what has been happening. Have them check it out. If they say that you need a new rectifier assembly and they want to charge you for it, I'd suggest show them the recall information and maybe my first post here. If they still balk, contact Suzuki directly: Suzuki Motor of America, 3251 E. Imperial Highway, P.O. Box 1100, Brea, CA 92822

Or, you could just pay them to replace the part and be done with it.

#19 ·
One more note: In Suzuki's letter back to me, they say; "Suzuki released a safety recall campaign 2A15 2A16 rectifier replacement in 2011 for several models that were fitted by the manufacturer with a regulator rectifier that turned out to be defective. The Burgmans that were included in that recall were all 2008 and 2009 models. Your 2012 Burgman is not included in this recall.”

When I look at the rectifier they replaced, there are numbers printed on it; RX41 05H2 55 2B29. That "2B29" number seems to follow the "2A15" and "2A16" sequence, as if they did make a internal version change to the 05H20.

That being said, it still doesn't change the fact that the rectifier assembly displayed the exact same failure symptoms as the recalled parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.