Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay a little history, I do not drive or ride after dark. I will drive if I absolutely have to and ONLY if I wear my glasses. I can't see worth a fooey with my contacts at night.
So, on the Volusia, I'd go to bike nights and the first sign of the sun starting to set, it was gear up and haul butt to get close to home before dark and I couldn't see.

So, on the 3rd, I went to our bike night. It was cold and I picked the wrong jacket to wear but other than that, it was a nice little ride. I will be investing in the hand guards next week just too keep the cold wind off my hands and hopefully love bugs in May/September months.

Anyhow, I stayed at the restaurant talking with everyone until way after dark. I thought I need to test the headlights to see if I would have any troubles. Billy showed up in his truck since he came straight from work. I tell you what, the headlamps on the 400 are way better for me than on the Volusia. I don't know if it is because of the dual lights or what but I was able to go the speed limit and feel comfortable with my sight. And the high beam. WOW! I was on cloud 9. I have ridden but once around the block after dark and that wasn't a real test.
What can I say but I get happier and happier with Putterbug the more I ride it. Going on a chapter ride on the 13th if there is no rain and then another on the 20th. Woo Hoo!!!!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I also try to avoid night riding. At a certain age, night vision starts deteriorating. Different for each individual, but I've hit that point. On a business trip toward the end of my career, I earned the nickname "Mr. Guardrail". Very unfair, I tell ya. I never hit the thing, but I did give my passengers a pretty good close-up view of it... Sometimes, it is unavoidable to ride at night though, so I've done a few hours at night on my Suzukis. The headlights are quite good. The V-Strom lights work even better because they are up higher - but they are basically identical to the lights on the Burgman 650. I'd have to say that these are probably the best stock headlights that I've had on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I'd estimate that 1/4th of my riding is done during dark hours. I'd seen where others have commented on the poor lighting provided by the stock Burgman lights. I agree that the 400 lights provide great coverage and am quite happy with them.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I also ride at night quite a bit, but I've been spooked by deer numerous times as the ride home from work is 90% woods/farmlands. I take it well slow, for the most part. I haven't yet readjusted my headlight, which I need to do desperately, since, with the rear shocks cranked all the way up (I weigh a massive 160 lbs, after all) the dims don't reach out very far. :shock:

Steve

·
Registered
182 Posts
Riding at night, ONLY when I have to. Way too many critters roaming the roads here in rural Iowa. Was on interstate other day and saw a herd of probably 40 deer just crazing like cattle. Also thee ol eyes dont work as well after dark. I do have to re-adjust wifes lights on her sidecar setup. I noticed the left one is very bright, but right one dim. I must have adjusted right one too low. Pinwheel, Im with you get home before dark.

Helix

·
Registered
969 Posts
Helix said:
. . . 40 deer just crazing like cattle. Helix
Note to non-Iowans: Cattle in the Midwest are headbangers. You can sometimes tell by the multiple rings in their noses. :D :shock:

Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Ditto on the limited night riding - one interesting note, after replacing the burned out (yea both) head lights I replaced the 35/35 with standard auto head lights 60/55 .
They work a lot better then stock and so far (3 months) no proplems. :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
I absolutley love riding at night. But after what happened to one of my customers the other night, I may not do it quite as often. He hit a baby deer on his scooter (Derbi Atlantis Bullet) going about 55 mph. Needless to say, the Derbi died, but he is ok, just bruised ribs. There are just too many deer in this area, the hunters are not doing their jobs very well!!! For me its hard to pick between day and night riding; during the day there are too many cages, at night there are too many animals. Maybe I'll just stay indoors from now on. :(

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Glare from oncoming vehichles is somewhat of a issue around here while enjoying a nitetime Burgy ride, especially when auxillary/fog lights are being utilized by some of the drivers. Being old school and thinking only use em when it's foggy or maybe night driving in west Texas when no other cars are coming, I'm amazed at seeing the younger generation operating a vehicle and need that extra lighting all the time. I get a bit concerned with blinding an oncoming driver and causing an 'accident'. Be safe. Neal

·
Registered
553 Posts
Headlights

Randy said:
Ditto on the limited night riding - one interesting note, after replacing the burned out (yea both) head lights I replaced the 35/35 with standard auto head lights 60/55 .
They work a lot better then stock and so far (3 months) no proplems. :)
Hey Randy, what part # or model/year of cage are the 60/55 lights for that you put on the burg. And are the headlights the same on the 400 as it is on the 650? :?:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
From another thread :

Randy said:
Well just a quick note, my headlight went out so taking the advice of this forum I will install the H4 bulb in 60/55--There are some nice ones on Ebay ( a pair) 9.95 but these are suppose to be vibration resident
---If that will mean anything-- :roll:

In case anyone wants to order

jc Whitney --- ( jcwmotorcycle.com )
# AGK023244R
12-volt 60/55-Watt H4 Vibration-resistant Halogen Bulb
$7.99
+ 6.99 S&H

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't prefer to ride at night, it's just nice knowing that the B400 offers the capability if I need to be out after dark.

The deer and other animals are bad around here. Including the cats but that was at dusk (stupid cat.. :x ) but I live in a national forest so the deer are really bad. During the day they are out as well.

Once my bulbs burn out, I may get the brighter ones as well. Hate to change them if I don't need to.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am definitely going to bump up the wattage on my headlights at the 600 mile (1000 km) service. At the moment, I leave my house in twilight, and if I don't leave work on time, I arrive home when it's dark. My trip is 40 km one-way, and 20 of that is two-lane coast highway with lots of off-camber corners and deer-a-plenty. I want to see! :shock:

I've found that the stock lights are great on high beam, but are a little dim on low. With glare from oncoming traffic, at least a couple of times per trip I can't see the road and am going from memory. I can't wait for spring.

Simon

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I work night shift, and then edit and write science fiction and fantasy as a hobby most nights until about 4 AM. I bought the Burgie mostly to get me to my favorite writing spot after work, a Steak and Shake about 25 miles from home. This is its primary purpose for being. Thus, almost _all_ my riding is at night.

There are lotsa deer around these parts, but I'm fortunate in that I have good night vision. I'll probably upgrade the headlights now that I know it's so cheap, and I've been considering deer-warning whistles as well, if I can figure out a good install. (Anyone have any experience or suggestions?) So far, though, in 3000 miles only one large buck (in the rut) has failed to yield the right of way without encouragement, and even he was persuaded by the horn (though he clearly didn't like it).

So far my scariest encounters have been with skunks. There are huge numbers of the things thriving around here, and one night I twice passed within two feet of them without accident; one emerged from a sewer without warning, and the other I was just stuck riding near due to oncoming traffic. Only the first one got riled; he was raising his tail at a range of about twenty inches as I hit the throttle, and I rather suspect he sprayed the empty air behind me. If I'd still been riding my much-slower Aprilia 150, well...

That would have really stunk!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts