Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has road tested the new Harley 883 and the way they brought their point to mind about its lack of power was to compare it to the burgman scooter. I own an 04' Burgman 650 and have ridden many harleys including the 1200 sportster and the 883. I don't know where they get their comparison but I can assure there isn't an 883 without the 1200 upgrade that will come near my scoot in a 0 to 100 race. Get the two on a back road in Eastern CT and after a 15 mile sidestand scraping run I would have time for my engine to cool down before Mr 883 came huffing and puffing to the end of the road. The 650 Burg holds its own in most ways except dragracing against my sons sv650. I take offense to the article Re my Burgmanusa.com handle... scooterracer

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
Why would anyone try to compair these 2. They are totaly different machines for different typs of riding,

Its like comparing a touring machine to a dual purpose.

I wouldn't fret.

Maybe the engine is smooth, by comparison to the other Harleys.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I went to their website. In their archive index, they list an article from the October issue "Harley Davidson 883 - Lowering the bar". No way to get to it online though. Is that the article you are referring to?

I haven't subscribed to them for a long time. I feel that they are overpriced for a publication printed in Black and White. I know they claim that their reporting is unbiased because they don't accept advertising, but from what you say, they may biased against scooters.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well, what the Burgman does it does mighty well, but in the end it is a 250kg bike being hauled around by a 50hp motor, so it's no surprise that some mags might ding its less than stellar acceleration times.

Personally I hope Suzuki comes out with an 800-plus version that's capable of performance equal to, say, BMW's R1100RT. That's about the minimum I'd want for hauling the wife and a week's worth of camping gear around.

·
Registered
611 Posts
And in the next issue they'll test a KTM Super Duke 990 against a BMW R1150 to see which one is best suited for touring. Hey - they're both twins! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Some wise person, or so-called wise person, said that ignorance breeds contempt. I guess that these ‘writers’ and just a ‘little’ ignorant!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts