Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you have been waiting for it, the current (July) issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) contains the six-month, 22,000 mile longterm Burgman 650 test that was begun after last year's comprehensive test publication.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Received my copy of the July 2005 edition of MCN yesterday. While we probably would not receive permission to incorporate the entire article in the Burgman USA Forum the bottom line was summed up by the author as follows:

"The Burgman scooter commuter test was a smashing success story for me. I now enjoy my commute to work. I save a ton of money and time while having all this fun. I'm a practical guy, so I bought a Burgman of my own, end of story."

The author, Greg Warne, described in some detail the savings he saw over the 6 month test when compared to operating his SUV. Plus he had a blast.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Sounds like another testimonial to me! :)
Has anyone seen any 'credible' testimonials from anyone saying they (seriously) tried a Burgman (for any decent length of time) and NOT fell in love with it? I haven't seen one yet. I do not count the ST1100 upgrade, but that is just my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
It goes right back to the thing I have said all along. The only folks that have anything bad to say about these superscooters are the folks that haven't ridden them.

BUT the folks on these superscooters, for the most part, are folks like me that HAVE ridden both and made the choice to be "scootin'."

·
Registered
373 Posts
"I would'nt be seen dead on a scooter" is the typical comment I get, I have had loads of sportsbikes, GSX-R1000, SV1000 etc. myself and I still have the burgman 650
nuff said!
If these people lived with one for a month, it would soon change there tune.

The burgman 650 is the only bike I have ever owned, that I will consider replacing it with another 650!
It is one of my golden rules, never buy the same bike again, even if I really like them.
But I may have to throw that rule away.......
When the Burgman 650 comes upto its third year, I will be getting rid. If there is nothing around better, then it will be another 650

Andy

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I had a number of folks look at my Burgman 650 while I was on the road during the last 3 days. None had ever seen anything like it before. I received no negative comments. Not one. The most common question was "where is the engine located?". "Will it cruise at 70 mph?" and "What does it get for mileage?" were also frequent questions.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Different Culture here in the UK, if you are not on a superbike, you are a nobody....

Andy

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
So far I've gotten nothing but positive compliments from the few who've said anything. And sometimes I get the "wave", often not. But the wave thing isn't consistent from one cycle type. Wish I'd run into more scooters, though. I see them driving in my car, but have not run into any on my Burgman.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I just received my Augest 2005 issue, and there is a follow-up letter regarding the Burgman 650 by a guy named Denny Russell from Greenville, MI. It seems that he is unhappy with the engine braking. I'll type the entire letter for you below:

I have a Suzuki 650 Burgman scooter which has a variable-ratio belt-drive transmission with an engine braking system that is activated when the throttle is closed. Braking force increases (more force at 20 mph vs. 40 mph) as the bike slows until releasing at 8 MPH. I thought I'd get used to it, but after 4000+ miles this is still an unnatural force compared to "normal" engine braking while slowing. Turning while slowing should be in a neutral setting, not in an increasing braking force, especially one that I'm not applying. The system uses 5 speed/position sensors that feed data to a control unit (TCM) that adjusts reduction ratio by making the primary drive pully wider or narrower by use of a starter-type motor. Trying to trick the system by repositioning the sensor would undoubtedly produce an unwanted side effect. No help was found from Suzuki, its reps, a couple dealers or the shop manual, so my quest is to find someone who knows how to reprogram the computer to: A) Disable the [engine] braking system (the brakes are more than capable); B) Have it release at 40 mph; or C) Have it reduced by 80%.
I'm wondering if he could try rolling on some throttle to stabilize the bike in, and ultimately to lift it out of, the turn.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
As we've all come to discern, the dude has to raise his idle RPM or just compensate skillfully.

Yes Gertrude - there are some skills here that aren't known to clutch and stickers.

Well, either way, the catz outta the bag on his gripe no matter how dumb it may be, huh? :roll:

The CVT wurks fine. Powerful engine braking is good on a 600# bike without a clutch.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
He needs to learn to ride it. With proper technique, the engine braking is useful, and does not cause any problems. It took me maybe 3 days to get the hang of it. You don't slam the throttle shut when you don't want max engine braking, you reduce the throttle setting smoothly instead. It's pretty simple actually. If you reduced the engine braking by 80% as he suggests, you'd be riding a roller skate. No thanks. I like it the way it is.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Brewman said:
So far I've gotten nothing but positive compliments from the few who've said anything. And sometimes I get the "wave", often not. But the wave thing isn't consistent from one cycle type. Wish I'd run into more scooters, though. I see them driving in my car, but have not run into any on my Burgman.
That's been the coolest thing about where I've been riding - almost all of the other bikers wave, regardless of what they're riding (mostly cruisers on these rural highways). I've actually only seen one on the highway that didn't - and I might have just missed it.

Today, once I got into town, I actually saw someone riding a silver 400 in the opposite direction (which is significant since I've just been riding for a few days - not apparent from my odometer).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Same here in KY - I get waves from Harleys, Hondas and sport bikes. Folks are pretty respectful of the Burgman, even if they are not sure what it is. The rule around here is "2 wheels are 2 wheels." However, I am perfectly fine if I do not get a wave (happens occassionally). I am thrilled with what I ride and that is what matters. :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
DonRich90 said:
pauljo said:
He needs to learn to ride it.
I don't know, Paul, but after 4,000 miles he may be a lost cause. :roll:
Some people just refuse to adapt. They're always "shoulding" on things. "It shouldn't have so much braking." "It should disengage when I want it to." "It should act like a Harley."

Blah blah blah.

Folk like that are the type that in the old days would beat their horses into submission. But that won't work on a mechanical horse. We have to be like the horse whisperers, and learn to accept the "horse's" way of doing things.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
pauljo said:
You don't slam the throttle shut when you don't want max engine braking, you reduce the throttle setting smoothly instead. It's pretty simple actually. snipped No thanks. I like it the way it is.
Me too!
I expect my brake pads to last for about 500,000 kms :twisted:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I believe what the guy was getting at was the continual engine braking after slowing going into a curve. During the "lean" phase there shouldn't be any braking due to contact patch being more to the side of the tires. And until you reach the apex of the turn, when the "roll" begins.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
While hard to master, it is possible to slow for a turn (engine braking), VERY gently roll on enough throttle to STOP the engine braking, so you can turn smoothly, and then roll on the throttle again to finish the turn.

It takes finesse, I can't do it every time yet, but I have on occasion. :wink:

Maybe he doen't have the patience to learn this or doesn't believe it's even possible.

It is! 8)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Maybe you cannot teach all 'old dogs' new tricks. :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts