Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dragging my left foot while making a slow U-turn on a asphalt road surface covered with loose gavel. Just as I was straightening out and accelerating my left foot wedged in between the road and the side stand peg. The heel of my boot pushed into the side stand and the toe compressed against the moving road surface.

Had I not been wearing AlpineStar MC boots I'm sure there was enough force to collapse the sole of a reg shoe and crush my foot. The MC boot soles were too stiff to be compressed and the back of the boot did a great job protecting my heel. After my boot popped out of the compression wedge and I started riding away I realized this would have been really bad had I been wearing hiking boots or sneakers. ATGATT.

· Registered
332 Posts
I was dragging my left foot while making a slow U-turn on a asphalt road surface covered with loose gavel. Just as I was straightening out and accelerating my left foot wedged in between the road and the side stand peg. The heel of my boot pushed into the side stand and the toe compressed against the moving road surface.

Had I not been wearing AlpineStar MC boots I'm sure there was enough force to collapse the sole of a reg shoe and crush my foot. The MC boot soles were too stiff to be compressed and the back of the boot did a great job protecting my heel. After my boot popped out of the compression wedge and I started riding away I realized this would have been really bad had I been wearing hiking boots or sneakers. ATGATT.
I had a very similar near miss with the sidestand that was similarly alarming only because I didn't expect such a thing to happen. Fortunately, I also had a strong boot that prevented anything other than the surprise. But it really made me think, wow, how the heck did that just happen?

I know this is an old message but I'm responding to bump it back up because I had the same thing happen, it's kind of shocking how fast it happened and what little control I had over it. I've read hundreds of threads here and never heard another mention of this. Another ATGATT reminder that the road doesn't know what you're riding and it's foolish to wear minimal gear because it's "just a scooter." Even the 400 is a 500 pound motorcycle that will hurt you. I know I'm preaching to the choir...squids in shorts and sandals probably don't join a forum like this. They're busy taking on-road selfies for Snapchat.

· Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for reviving this thread. I'm a fairly new rider, and while I'm recovering from surgery I'm buying motorcycle specific gear for both me and my wife, who will be my occasional passenger. The helmet, jacket, and sturdy boots are easy, I'm having a hard time finding a decent pair of riding pants or jeans to wear in my size, 42w, 36l. Then I still have to make sure my wife gets some as well even though she doesn't feel padded pants are necessary.

Reactions: Dave_J

· Administrator
16,968 Posts
Thanks for reviving this thread. I'm a fairly new rider, and while I'm recovering from surgery I'm buying motorcycle specific gear for both me and my wife, who will be my occasional passenger. The helmet, jacket, and sturdy boots are easy, I'm having a hard time finding a decent pair of riding pants or jeans to wear in my size, 42w, 36l. Then I still have to make sure my wife gets some as well even though she doesn't feel padded pants are necessary.
Its a matter of who is going to take care of the person that is injured enough in an accident. I do not want to put that burden on my wife to feed me and wipe my back side because I forgot to think a good helmet may be necessary. :serious :wink

· Registered
2,308 Posts
I've had the same thing happen, but it was the final-drive case (left swingarm -- I was on a 650) that snagged my heel, not the sidestand. It was a left turn, leaned over hard at low speed on an heavily off-camber (sloping to outside of turn) road surface.

Boots were reinforced-toe military-style "jungle boots" (leather lowers, ballistic-nylon uppers, reinforced insoles). Yeah, that would have been unpleasant if I'd been wearing sneakers or dress shoes. Still hurt a bit, no lasting damage though.

· Registered
Burgman 650 2014
765 Posts
Did a similar thing back in Dec 2016, slow U turn narrow country road gravel on both sides let my right leg dangle to long and as I started to lean a bit my boot got caught between the road and the exhaust pipe and slide me off my seat ... O fudge bars now passenger foot rest is crushing my calf and my boot is now between the muffler and the road ... tried to lift it up but very hard when your leg from the knee down is pinned to the road I could just sit up that's it, 1st go no good 2nd go no good, 3rd choice re start the engine and give it a revs and drag the scooter of my leg damaging both of us badly .... come on lift the scooter up 3rd try some how I managed to get it upright wiggle my leg out and stood up on the wrong side of the scooter expecting a broken leg, managed to re mount and get off the other side, wheel it of the road swearing my head off, legs holding me up so not broken, 2 days on from the accident I have a massive rock hard bruise it's the size off a soft ball and my ankle bruised and unhappy with me, very lucky I had my work boots on with wide sole that held the weight of my ankle.

Still have what feels like 2-3 little marbles in my calf that move around a bit

On my own on a back road that not many people travel, also reached for my whistle that I keep on my jack zipper for just this situation but it had come loose and was gone :-(

Greg

· Super Moderator
3,570 Posts
There is a thing that happens in a crash to unprotected feet called de-gloving do not look it up if you don’t have an extremely strong stomach, just know that it is very, very bad.

Seeing it on somebody else is “regular starring role in nightmares” bad, I can’t imagine what it is like if you own the foot.

· Registered
332 Posts
No thanks, Bluebottle, I think I'll let the imagination go with that one. I should elaborate that my particular near-miss was with the center stand, not the side stand. Best I can figure, I was lazy and let my left leg dangle a bit on take off and the center stand kind of grabbed my heel and when my toe hit the road the stand jammed my foot into the ground, perpendicular like. I suppose I must have been leaning left because otherwise my toe would not be near the ground. Funny thing is, I'm religious about getting feet up right away, having laughed many times at cruiser riders who have to duck walk their bikes at low speed. Not that I'm at all judgmental.

· Super Moderator
3,570 Posts
I remember when I first got my B400 and got caught out by the cutouts in the floor in a similar way.

Can’t remember exactly what I did, but basically left a foot lying around and ran out of cut out as my foot walked onto the toe and my heel came up. It wasn’t as bad as yours but it was enough of a short sharp shock to make sure I didn’t do it again.
I’ve never done it on my other current scoot and I can’t remember doing it with others previousl, maybe that cutout encouraged it, I don’t know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.