Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a lurker on this forum for several months...great info and even better report...a very giving group of folks.

I currently ride a Scarabeo 150 which quite honestly fills my cross town driving needs to a "T". I would like to expand my reach to include a bit more freeway capability as well as get over some of the insecurity I have regarding Aprilia's future support.

I'm a short guy...28' inseam, and the physical size of the 400 seems perfect
for me. The power range is absolutely bang on for 95% of my anticipated needs. A "no brainer" one might say with but one exception.. Next summer two possible trips have materialized...one a Denver to Seattle venture...and the other a Denver to New York trip. Neither of these is "necessary" and a plane could be taken, but I am hungry to duplicate some MC adventures of my younger days (I'm now 56), and on the Seatlle trip would need to keep up with a couple of Harley guys.

Could the 400 accomodate these cross country trips??...right tool for the job would indicate a 650, but after these exceptions, the 400 would really be the more appropriate decsion....I suppose I could just pass the long trips up but
at my age this doesn't seem wise...today I can do it....10 years from now who knows....

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
From one Paul to another...

If the 400 feels right to you - buy it. It's a good machine, it's not slow, and it gets great mileage to boot. It could do the tours if you are planning to go solo.

Are the Harley Riders going to cruise at over 75 mph? I doubt it. Most of them don't. At 75 mph you should have enough reserve power for hills and the occasional pass.

Even though the AN650 is arguably the stronger touring machine, if its size and weight would make you uncomfortable for your normal daily riding, I think you would be less happy with it.

I hope you do make the tours on the scooter. I am one year older than you, and I have made several scooter trips this Summer and really enjoyed it. Like you said, right now we can do it. Maybe we'll still be riding 20 years from now - but there is certainly no guarantee.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
pbary said:
I've been a lurker on this forum for several months...great info and even better report...a very giving group of folks.

I currently ride a Scarabeo 150 which quite honestly fills my cross town driving needs to a "T". I would like to expand my reach to include a bit more freeway capability as well as get over some of the insecurity I have regarding Aprilia's future support.

I'm a short guy...28' inseam, and the physical size of the 400 seems perfect
for me. The power range is absolutely bang on for 95% of my anticipated needs. A "no brainer" one might say with but one exception.. Next summer two possible trips have materialized...one a Denver to Seattle venture...and the other a Denver to New York trip. Neither of these is "necessary" and a plane could be taken, but I am hungry to duplicate some MC adventures of my younger days (I'm now 56), and on the Seatlle trip would need to keep up with a couple of Harley guys.

Could the 400 accomodate these cross country trips??...right tool for the job would indicate a 650, but after these exceptions, the 400 would really be the more appropriate decsion....I suppose I could just pass the long trips up but
at my age this doesn't seem wise...today I can do it....10 years from now who knows....

Paul
Paul - you cannot be a lurker with 4 posts!

1. Don't go Aprilia.
2. I think the 400 sounds just right for your needs - BUT I think those long trips - eek - a 650 might be more relaxed !
3. Have you made a decision about the year in England?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Paul, and I'll lay you odds that most of the time the HD's will be following.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
ted clement said:
Paul, and I'll lay you odds that most of the time the HD's will be following.
Plus you will have to pull over so they can refuel. They just may ask you to slow down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Just kidding Norman in my last post. I stand behind my original recommendation that Paul should buy the model that best suits 90% of his riding.

I would also love to have him do the tours on a 400. We have several members who have done long tours on the 650s with great results. I'm sure that the 400 can do it too, and it would be nice to have his "Road Stories" on record to prove that!
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NormanB said:
pbary said:
I've been a lurker on this forum for several months...great info and even better report...a very giving group of folks.

Paul
Paul - you cannot be a lurker with 4 posts!

1. Don't go Aprilia.
2. I think the 400 sounds just right for your needs - BUT I think those long trips - eek - a 650 might be more relaxed !
3. Have you made a decision about the year in England?

OK Norman, 'ya got me on a technicality <G>: given the amount of time I spent reading this forum, I feel like a lurker with so few posts however I do
stand corrected....

I've been very pleased with my Scarabeo but have concerns about parts
availability and an increasing discomfort with the financial gyrations the
company is doing....in the last 6 months there was a threatened bankruptcy,
rumors of a purchase by Ducati, and now a potential purchase by Piaggio....
too many distractions for my taste and

The sabbatical to your fair country is still being considered but may be put off
for awhile due to some family committments...it is definitely something I would love to do.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
Like has been said many times before -no one bike can do it all-
What you will find about the 400 is it does a lot more then any other bike . In fact more so then the 650 which I think is a great machine except most of the time I am running to the post office, or the store, stop and go city and suburb and the extra weight and power of the 650 is not needed .
If I took more long trips each year then I would most likely upgrade but my long trips are seldom over
2500 miles and maybe only twice a year, the 400 does fine.
In fact my only problem after 11000 miles since April is I can't get this grin off my face :lol:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your useage and mine sound very similar and with the helpful replies I received I think the 400 might be the best bet by offering me the size and power for my majority use and giving me serviceable capability for the exceptions. Time to start shopping...I'm wondering if the upcoming model year change might give me some bargaining room on the 2004's or perhaps
waiti until some cold weather sets in in hopes of finding a more aeager dealer...thanks to all...

Paul


Randy said:
Like has been said many times before -no one bike can do it all-
What you will find about the 400 is it does a lot more then any other bike . In fact more so then the 650 which I think is a great machine except most of the time I am running to the post office, or the store, stop and go city and suburb and the extra weight and power of the 650 is not needed .
If I took more long trips each year then I would most likely upgrade but my long trips are seldom over
2500 miles and maybe only twice a year, the 400 does fine.
In fact my only problem after 11000 miles since April is I can't get this grin off my face :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
pbary said:
Your useage and mine sound very similar and with the helpful replies I received I think the 400 might be the best bet by offering me the size and power for my majority use and giving me serviceable capability for the exceptions. Time to start shopping...I'm wondering if the upcoming model year change might give me some bargaining room on the 2004's or perhaps
waiti until some cold weather sets in in hopes of finding a more aeager dealer...thanks to all...

Paul
Paul, if you are not desperate to get a Burger, waiting until winter could be a good move from a financial point of view - but balanced by the fact you are depriving yourself of useage. Not sure how your market works, in UK, winter is a fallow time for dealers, but they do not trim huge amounts off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Paul,

You may be able to find a dealer that has 2003s still. Since the 2005s are about out, you might be able to get a good deal right now. If you plan on financing the Burgman, Suzuki has a Special Offer that could make this a better time to buy.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put out some requiests for prices today....

Well I'm pretty convinced the 400 is the machine for me. I requested some price quotes from several dealers today so we'll see how the dice tumble.
Who knows, could be next week or could be next summer that I buy.

Back in the mid 70's I had a Suzuki T500...took a summer off, loaded it down with camping gear and toured from San francisco up into Canada. It was great
(inspired by "Zen and the the art of Motorcycle maintainence"). I think I have one or two adventures left in me which is why I'm so keen on having some touring options available....(although motels and restaurants would now be in my logistics <G>).

Thanks again for all the helpful advice and I'll post if this thing moves forward.

Cheers,

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Paul,

Look forward to hearing some Burgman road stories from you. Once you get the Burgman, I think you'll discover you have more than "one or two adventures" left in you. :blob5:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32 Posts
I'm glad you've all but decided on the Burgy 400. I'm almost 6 foot, but I don't have the strength I'd like - so the lighter bike is better for me than the 650. My partner is short - but stronger than me. The 400 is great for both of us. We haven't taken it on a real long trip yet - but it has the power to do the interstates and with some ingenuity we could pack it for a trip.
Of course I'd have to have my own then - which I hope to do by next summer. :)
Let us know how it goes.
Lynn
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Bill and Lynn...

Something in the nature of your respective comments really jump started my
imagination...must be the positive energy.....hmmm...an adventure might be
just the ticket....<G>

P.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well this is sad...

Monday AM I emailed the sales people at 3 Denver Suzuki dealers inquiring whether they had any 400's in stock....as of yet, no one has replied pro or con or to say "we're out but should have the 2005's soon"...nothing, nada, zip....last night I emailed a Yamaha dealer about
the Majesty....6 business hours later I got a reply indicating the had on
in the color I wanted and they were eager to deal...you know, the kind of thing that people with "Sales" in their job description are meant to say...
This sure doesn't leave one with a real warm fuzzy feeling about Suzuki's dealer network....I bet they would sell alot more product if they actually responded to sales inquiries <G>.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Paul,

A lot of small businesses still "don't do the email thing". Even a lot of large businesses don't take full advantage of email. :? I'd try giving them a call instead.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
billmeek said:
Paul,

A lot of small businesses still "don't do the email thing". Even a lot of large businesses don't take full advantage of email. :? I'd try giving them a call instead.
suppose you're right...being a network admin I find in rather incredible....the only bigger business mistake a Company can do other than not having email is to have it and ignore it....

P.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top