Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
I bought my 650 last year and have put 3k miles on the odo. I bought it because I thought the wife and I might commute to work on it (70 mile round trip) and take a few trips a year also. we haven't really had the time for any trips and haven't been commuting either. so, I am spending the majority of my riding time on short errands or riding the grandkids around the lake. the 650 is a very comfortable bike since I installed the corbin and givi trunk and clearview windshield. it is just too much bike for what I use it for.
since I am discussing the 650, there are a few things that I don't really care for. the transmission is far too complex for me(costly down the road?). the engineers could have saved much effort by using a mechanical variator.
after 3k miles, I still don't appreciate the engine braking. I have a routine that I have to go through at each stoplight. I have to stay on the throttle to keep the bike from coming to what could be described as a panic-stop. I have almost been rearended numerous times when failing to engage the brakelight to warn the person behind me.
the other complaint is the weight of the bike. it is probably 650lbs with the accessories I have installed. a little much for in town riding.
the last complaint is the fuel mileage. I have been averaging 46-48mpg. I did better than that with my ace750 after several performance mods. I would love to get 65-70 mpg with a smaller scooter(250-400cc)
don't get me wrong, the 650 is a formidable highway cruiser. it just seems out of its element in stop and go riding in town, which is what I am doing 95% of the time now.
I am considering a reflex, helix, or 400 burgman.
I have a feeling that I am going to end up with a helix. I have always admired the lines of it(Iknow, I'm weird). it has ample power for 1 adult and hovers around 70mpg. since I never exceed 65mph, it is adequate in all respects. there are a lot of helix's out there with 50-100k trouble free miles. that means a lot in my book.
the 400 is also an excellent choice. if I could hit 65mpg consistently, I would go that route.(any opinions on this, as I am traveling on flat ground and mostly ride at 55mph. 240lbs, 6'2")
thanks for listening to my woes. this is in no way a putdown of the 650(ok, maybe that engine-braking issue). it is just too much bike for my riding habits at this time.
thanks again

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Where in Ohio, and how much are you asking for it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ken,
let me tell you a little about the scooter. it is an '04, black 650. I bought it used from honda east in toledo. the previous owner was an older gentleman and bought it new and owned it for 3-4 months.he did the 1st service at 605 miles. it had 2k miles on the odo when I purchased it.I did the 4k mile oil change and went to castrol synthetic blend. I had the remainder of the 1 year warranty and never had an issue with it. if you search the posts, you will find a thread that I posted in the spring. I was riding the maiden trip for the year and the fi light came on. I turned off and retarted the scooter and have never experienced anything like it again. the general opinion was that the gas had sat for a few months in the tank and was possibly not 100%. I have since ridden at least 1.5k miles without incident. it is in perfect running condition.
I added a clearview windshield(xxl), a givi v46 color matched trunk and mounting hardware and a corbin seat. all are in perfect condition.
I have as of now, 5645 miles on the odo. it has lived in a heated garage since I have owned it and has never sat out.
I am asking $5800 and I have the title to it. if I can't get that amount for it, I will keep it.
thanks
sorry, forgot the location. I am just west of dayton ohio.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I owned a Helix before I got my 400. I compared the two on this board a long time ago, but it's always fun to revisit.

Helix:

Pluses: Unique looks, comfort, reliability, comfort, economy, comfort, can be bought pretty cheap, comfort. Oh, and it's comfortable.

Minuses: Unique looks, Not an interstate runner, technically a 20 year old machine, odd handling at speeds above 60MPH, seems harder to turn at low speeds than some others.

Favorite feature: Kind of like a lazyboy on wheels.

Least favorite features: Foot brake for rear, needs a SERIOUS update.

Burgman 400

Pluses: Modern looks, capable of all types of riding, from touring to commuting, extremely large amount of storage in dash and under seat, 60+MPG, fiddle free fuel injection, standard backrest, 12v power outlet, handles like a slot car at speed

Minuses: Compared to Helix the 400 rides like a buckboard, seat can be uncomfortable for some after a period of time, lack of legroom for some.

Favorite feature: Handy indash storage bins where the Helix has "dead space." I use them for my wallet, keys, cell phone.

Least favorite feature: The seat. It seems the seat is large, but because of the lack of contour, the seat feels like it pushes people forward all the time. Also, the sides of the seat are cut in a way that there is actually a small amount of this large seat under your "seat"

THe verdict. If I rode under 70MPH all of the time, I am not sure I would have sold the Helix. However, now having the Burgman, the HUGE trunk and indash storage are wonderful features. Also, being able to run on the interstate when I have to is a nice feature to have.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have ridden several helix's and have always been impressed with the performance. the seating position is very nice. if I was going to do any highway riding, I would keep the 650, but I am reduced to being an errand boy.lol
I have ridden the 400 on several occasions and it is a wonderful scooter. I just have a thing for strange objects. and the helix is out of the current mainstream, for sure.
just out of curiosity, what was your average fuel mileage (60mph and under)?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
bean said:
what was your average fuel mileage (60mph and under)?
Currently, I've been getting just barely over 65 MPG average.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
If you are not going to be doing any highway riding, go with the Helix and put one of the lower priced aftermarket trunks on it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
bean: Before you run out and buy a Helix, check out the new Yamaha Morphous that will be in showrooms soon. (there's a link in the 'All Others' section). I was just looking at pictures of it and think it is one of, if not the the best looking scooter on the market! (I'm a little 'off' too! :D )

·
Registered
806 Posts
bean said:
I have ridden several helix's and have always been impressed with the performance. the seating position is very nice. if I was going to do any highway riding, I would keep the 650, but I am reduced to being an errand boy.lol
I have ridden the 400 on several occasions and it is a wonderful scooter. I just have a thing for strange objects. and the helix is out of the current mainstream, for sure.
just out of curiosity, what was your average fuel mileage (60mph and under)?
The 400 will get about 65MPG at 55-60MPH.

My helix would get a notch over 70MPG. My Helix was a 1999. Now my father had a 1993 Helix and he never saw over about 65-66MPG. We would ride them to and from the same place together and I always got about 5MPG better. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Three ways to get different mpg values on identical bikes:

1) One has lower air pressure in the tires than the other.
2) One is ridden by a heavier rider.
3) One rider presents more resistance to the air.
4) (bonus) One rider accelerates harder from stops, always trying to be the leader across intersections.

Dave B.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Bean,
Sorry to hear the 650 turned out to be not your cup of tea, but I'm guessing that if you bought used the dollars will work out for you. As a former ACE750 owner, I am very familiar with the "Bean Box" intake mod you invented and I hope all works out for you with whatever you choose to ride next.

I own 3 bikes currently, including the 400 which is only used by me for around town errands, and by my kids and neighborhood kids for messing around. Mileage is 60 to 65 mpg.

I have owned in the past both the Helix and the Reflex. The post here by Bechtoea reflects my own views on the 400 vs. Helix. I really liked the Helix and will someday soon get another one or the new Yamaha look-a-like, probably the Helix as I believe Honda makes fine machinery.

The Reflex I owned had some un-Honda-like glitches that were evidently not uncommon to that model, so I personaly couldn't recommend it but many others would.

Cheers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all of the replys. I am leaning towards a 250cc scooter. I am fascinated with all of the 250s out there. I have an ozark 250 atv and it kicks butt. I sold my 350 honda rancher after test riding the 250. it was much more fun to ride with its light weight. I think that is what I like about the small bikes/scooters/atvs. they are easy to move around in the garage and are realitively inexpensive new or used, as many people start out on them and quickly graduate to a larger ride.
thanks again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 95 Helix always got between 65-70 mpg no matter how hard or easy I rode it. It seems that a Burgman 400 will do almost as good with even more power. The Helix would do 65 mph on the open road but I would have to think hard about passing any one.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
250 Scooter

Before you jump on a Helix, look seriously at the Reflex. Basically the same motor, but the ride and handling is far, far, better. And they cost about the same. On the other hand, if you can find a used Helix that wouldn't be a bad way to go either. I've had both. Overall, the 400 is better as it handles just as easily, and give you that bit of extra power when you need it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i had a helix for 12 years and drove it everyday in the summer from may thru oct. it got 70 mpg if i drove it under 55 mph. and if i drove it 65-70 i had to tow a station behind me . it rode like a dream. if i could have gotten a bit better mpg on it at 65 and had enough power to pass i would have kept it. i have a 650 now that i want to sell. anyone in mich that is looking for one contact me. might even trade for a 400 burgy. it is a 04 with 3000. miles on it. i have the same dislike as the other people. bike drives good but i'm not impressed with the mpg it gets and i do not need the power for dual riding. the 400 looks like it will do me better. don't need 120+ top end either when 80-90 will do the job. thanks bob p.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts