Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone comment on their maximum sustained speed over 10-20 miles? Will your B650 do an actual 90 mph for 20 miles? What about 95 mph?

My B400 will do an actual 82 mph give or take 2-3 mph before getting near the red zone. This would be the "safe" Max sustained speed for 20 miles. I am hoping the B650 can do an actual 90 mph (or more) on the highway. Please note I am referring to the ACTUAL GPS Speed in this thread and not indicated speed on the speedometer.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Actual gps figures... I've done 103, but it still had a little in her. I've read upwards of 115+ with the mirrors folded in and a light rider.

Sustained 90 is absolutely not a problem. I rode that for several miles on a long trip once, but it eats up gas quick. Probably 43 mpg at that clip.

So I prefer the 75 to 80 range. That's a real sweet spot for the big burg. Not a lot of buffeting, 50 mpg, rpm around 5k in OD. Real smooth and comfy.

Reactions: art650

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the 650 will do 90 or 95 easily for extended periods of time. I recently did 650 miles at 80+ GPS going to the smoky mountains. This was on highway 40 from Nashville. That was just keeping with the traffic. The question is, why would you want to go so far so fast? I was not comfortable at that speed. The 650 felt really good and safe but I was uncomfortable. There are really better bikes for sustained high speeds but the 650 can more than handle high speeds. I would be looking at a BMW, FJR, or goldwing for high speed riding.
respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
132 Posts
One more thing, we Burgman riders really have nothing to prove by riding at high speeds in excess of speed limits. Personally in my mind I think my Burgman is just as good as any $30,000 Harley. I will taking three(already planned) trips once the weather warms up. They are to western Arkansas, Cumberland Falls, Kentucky, and a one day 17 hr. ride to the Black Hills. There is no doubt that my Burg can make the trips at interstate speeds. I usually ride 3-5 miles over by GPS
respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't understand why the top speed should even be a question. I've owned numerous vehicles over the years and never tried to find the top speed. Every one was able to do the speed limit and then some for hours which is all that was required. These motorcyclists who go screaming by me while I'm doing speed plus 5 I find a disgrace to motorcyclists. Listening to comments by non riders aren't flattering at all. I now find myself hoping they come to a sudden stop shortly down the road and I won't bother stopping to check on them as they will have gotten exactly what they deserve.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand why the top speed should even be a question. I've owned numerous vehicles over the years and never tried to find the top speed. Every one was able to do the speed limit and then some for hours which is all that was required. These motorcyclists who go screaming by me while I'm doing speed plus 5 I find a disgrace to motorcyclists. Listening to comments by non riders aren't flattering at all. I now find myself hoping they come to a sudden stop shortly down the road and I won't bother stopping to check on them as they will have gotten exactly what they deserve.
I didn't mean to imply "top speed" but rather whether the B650 can do a real, GPS 90 mph for 20 miles. There are times when being able to safely go 90 mph on the highway is a real plus.

How bad is the wind buffeting issue at 90 mph? Do you think a manual 6th gear mode is better for lower RPM at 85-90 mph? At some point the 6th gear in manual mode completely tops out and this is before the maximum speed in drive mode.

I'm curious to see if many owners are using the manual mode when cruising at 80-85 mph on the highway to lower RPMs and increase gas mileage.

Finally, a real GPS speed of 100 mph is close to the max reported speed of the B650. Hence, 90 mph (actual) is near the limits of this bike and I totally agree about cruising in the 75-80 mph range. But, when you need to pass a slow moving Semi-truck I prefer to do it as quickly as possible.

Recently, I was on the highway on my '12 B400 cruising at a real GPS 75 mph. There was a semi in the middle lane going 75 mph. I was in the right lane. I knew he would have trouble seeing me if/when he decided to move from the middle lane to the right lane. But, I didn't want to push my B400 very hard so I maintained my speed. Naturally, the Semi began to move over into my lane which quickly resulted in me braking to 60 mph.
I think in a B650 there would have been other options.

Anyway, I'll likely move up to a B650 in about 12 months and sell my '12B400. I doubt the Honda CTX1300 or Indian Chieftan are going to be my next bike over the B650.

Honestly, I would prefer a B850 with heated seat, backrest, Stereo, Bluetooth, Tire Pressure monitor, GPS and maybe cruise control. Now that is real $12,000 scooter.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing, we Burgman riders really have nothing to prove by riding at high speeds in excess of speed limits. Personally in my mind I think my Burgman is just as good as any $30,000 Harley. I will taking three(already planned) trips once the weather warms up. They are to western Arkansas, Cumberland Falls, Kentucky, and a one day 17 hr. ride to the Black Hills. There is no doubt that my Burg can make the trips at interstate speeds. I usually ride 3-5 miles over by GPS
respectfully,
David Miller

I usually ride at a GPS 75 mph in the right lane. I'd like the option of being able to pass (briefly) at 85 mph or even ride in the left lane which my B400 currently can't do.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The burgman is in "6th" gear somewhere between 70-72 mph. You can confirm this by watching the rpms. At 55-60 you can truly be in overdrive and conserve somewhat by manually shifting into overdrive or 6th gear.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Power remains unchanged but in confirming to EURO 3 emissions standards, I can’t help but wonder if the bottom end has suffered slightly. Sure, a CVT never offers the sharpest of throttle response but the Burgman would definitely benefit from a slip-on exhaust, like on the TMAX Black Max I tested recently. It smooth to the point of being soft off the mark. Suzuki claims a 15% improvement in fuel economy thanks to less mechanical loss. The outgoing model was always a bit juicy.
The Burgman 650 tops out at 110mph but feels at home around 80mph. When the needle heads north of 90mph on flowing roads the front end starts to fumble around for the white flag. It’s no slouch on a twisty road, drops into corners with ease, has plenty of ground clearance, but there’s a definite limit to what a 15-inch front and 14-inch rear will put up with.
It’s not a bike you’d buy to go for a Sunday blast; it’s too refined for that.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests...executive-abs-review/22676.html#ixzz2t4R1oSXp

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Power remains unchanged but in confirming to EURO 3 emissions standards, I can’t help but wonder if the bottom end has suffered slightly. Sure, a CVT never offers the sharpest of throttle response but the Burgman would definitely benefit from a slip-on exhaust, like on the TMAX Black Max I tested recently. It smooth to the point of being soft off the mark. Suzuki claims a 15% improvement in fuel economy thanks to less mechanical loss. The outgoing model was always a bit juicy.
The Burgman 650 tops out at 110mph but feels at home around 80mph. When the needle heads north of 90mph on flowing roads the front end starts to fumble around for the white flag. It’s no slouch on a twisty road, drops into corners with ease, has plenty of ground clearance, but there’s a definite limit to what a 15-inch front and 14-inch rear will put up with.
It’s not a bike you’d buy to go for a Sunday blast; it’s too refined for that.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests...executive-abs-review/22676.html#ixzz2t4R1oSXp
So the '13 Burg 650 has a GPS top speed of around 102 mph. This means the normal cruising speed should be less than 90 mph with 75-80 GPS mph being a nice comfort zone.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actual gps figures... I've done 103, but it still had a little in her. I've read upwards of 115+ with the mirrors folded in and a light rider.

Sustained 90 is absolutely not a problem. I rode that for several miles on a long trip once, but it eats up gas quick. Probably 43 mpg at that clip.

So I prefer the 75 to 80 range. That's a real sweet spot for the big burg. Not a lot of buffeting, 50 mpg, rpm around 5k in OD. Real smooth and comfy.
At a GPS 80 mph is there any difference in RPMs in Manual mode vs Drive mode? Will the B650 do a GPS 90 mph in manual mode? What are the lowest RPMs you have seen at those speeds?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you cruise at 80 mph with your Givi Windshield in the "fully up" position? Is wind buffeting any different with the Givi vs stock windshield at highway speeds?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Burgmanmaniac, you're way over thinking this. Especially for a bike that is 12 months away.

I've heard a few complaints about the b650 in regards to suspension and wind screen, etc. But I've never heard anyone say it didn't have enough power. It has MORE THAN ENOUGH, for most riding situations. Ive personally passed semis from 80 mph, winding it up to over 90 with no problems. It will cruise all day at speeds that are altogether illegal, dangerous and uncomfortable.

Unless you want to race sport-bikes, you will be quite satisfied with the performance.

As to manual shifting, most I've talked to Don't use it unless its to maintain OD for mileage purposes.

"Power" mode is another matter. It's fantastic in twisties and the occasion Semi overtake. Even off the line racing. You'll have no problem going as fast as you want, no 850 necessary.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
True top speed for the 650 is about 110 MPH at sea level, no wind, level ground. It can do 90 for 20 miles just fine (and could do it into a 20MPH headwind). Airspeeds above 80MPH yield a bit of helmet buffeting, but nothing too annoying unless there's a significant crosswind component (stock windshield, non-Exec). Airspeeds above 95 become annoying -- an aftermarket screen might help some, but take a bit off the top end and/or MPG.

Bottom line: the bike can do it; an aftermarket windscreen might make it a bit more pleasant. That said, if that's the only reason you want a motorbike, you may well be happier with a sport or touring bike than a scooter of any kind -- unless you need to carry luggage, in which case the necessary side/top cases could make high-speed handling unacceptable.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just out of curiosity and to make a point... Is anyone comfortable riding 90 to 100 mph? Sure it's fine for a few minutes with wide open space and clear roads. But to maintain that for 20-30 minutes through traffic. It gets to be quite disconcerting given the possible injury to body, driving status and pocket book. I've done high 80s for long periods, but 90 gets you to that special legal zone of 25+ mph over the speed limit zone where it becomes reckless driving and prison time is possible.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Think with all expectation OP have, better served by this !

Cops not run OP down with this !

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
On my 03 AN650 the top speed was above 115 MPH with a 165/65 SR 14 Car tire so it was close to being exact. I went from Sheridan to Casper and then to Laramie WY doing 85 to 90 MPH and got 38 to 42 MPG. Was on empty when I pulled in to Casper, 3.92 gallons to fill up. I also had over 200 pounds of camping/cargo and my 210 pound butt on board. Went from Butte MT to Laramie WY in 8 hours, 650 miles and 16 gallons of gas.

And I feel as confortable at 80 as I do at 115 MPH. The limiting factor is traffic. I will not Bonzi run with cars doing 70 or less around me. But I also rode a highly modified/Hot rodded Suzuki GS750N on the Germany Autobahn for 4 years at 130+ MPH

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
. I went from Sheridan to Casper and then to Laramie WY doing 85 to 90 MPH and got 38 to 42 MPG. Went from Butte MT to Laramie WY in 8 hours, 650 miles and 16 gallons of gas.
Wow, that's quite a run! Quite worthy of note. Would you agree that running over 90 is a little harrowing?

I was trying to make the point that 90+ mph is way too fast and to think that its a normal rate of travel is, um, optimistic. The big burg is more than capable of running it, it's just not a good idea to physically do it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wishing a crash on your fellow man? How nice is that?

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Wow, that's quite a run! Quite worthy of note. Would you agree that running over 90 is a little harrowing?

I was trying to make the point that 90+ mph is way too fast and to think that its a normal rate of travel is, um, optimistic. The big burg is more than capable of running it, it's just not a good idea to physically do it.
Doing 90 in a 60 MPH zone with traffic is a BOZO move. But on the superslab far out of a town in a 70+ zone with light to no traffic, 90 MPH is NOT that fast. It is not my normal top speed. I stay with traffic at 70 most days of my commute and will bust 85 to pass then its back to 70.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts