Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't wait to read a good and extensive shoot-out comparing the three real 2013 touring scooters, the Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, the BMW C650GT and the Kymco Myroad 700. the Kymco was designed expressly for the european and north-american market, so will probably be here at worse for 2014.

I easily imagine that the first to realize such a test would be the european site "Scooter-Station".

After 2 years riding a Burgman 400 (from 2004) and 6 years a 650 Executive I actually ride a lovable V-Strom 650. But the next one could be another maxi-scooter ! Why not !

Have nice rides !

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I was talking to a Kymco rep a few weeks ago and he touted the new MyRoad 700 vs the Burgman 650. So, I took a look at it on the Web and I have to say it's ugly, front and rear. Sorry, just my opinion. On a positive note the wheels are of a good size, but the trade off is that the seat height is 30.7 inches. The Kymco rep told me that the seat is narrower than the Exciting so doesn't seem that high. My problem is that I need a wide seat do to physical problems that some of you may also be familiar with. :D

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Old-n-slow said:
I was talking to a Kymco rep a few weeks ago and he touted the new MyRoad 700 vs the Burgman 650. So, I took a look at it on the Web and I have to say it's ugly, front and rear. Sorry, just my opinion. On a positive note the wheels are of a good size, but the trade off is that the seat height is 30.7 inches. The Kymco rep told me that the seat is narrower than the Exciting so doesn't seem that high. My problem is that I need a wide seat do to physical problems that some of you may also be familiar with. :D
Are you saying that you are a "LARD ASS"...............???????? :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,600 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
Old-n-slow said:
Are you saying that you are a "LARD ASS"...............???????? :lol: :lol:
no , that's not it 8) , when you have large testiticulars you need a big place to put them :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I'm not waiting or holding out. Should be picking up my 2012 650 Burg this Saturday.
I'll enjoy old faithful for years; As the bugs are being identified and taken out of all the new offerings...

·
Registered
515 Posts
I absolutely abhor the term " SHOOTOUT ", it has been over used and abused by the squid oriented motorcycle magazines for years now. :?

Why not call it what it is; A Comparison of like/similar machines . :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had my own scooter 'shoot-out' the past month or two. I've been riding a Honda Silverwing and really liked it but since I sold my Goldwing I decided to buy a Burgman 650 since it's payload is greater than the Silverwing's was so the wife and I can ride 2up again. I pretty much rode one scooter and then the other alternating for the past month and a half and have noted the differences.
Maintenance: this one goes to the Silverwing. Simpler, more like a Burgman 400 and bulletproof.
Handling: I give the edge to the Burgman 650. The 650 has more powerful brakes and the adjustable levers make it more comfortable to use them. I can ride the curves just a little bit faster with the SW but some of that may be due to more experience with that scooter. Quicker response to the handlebars than the SW.
Power: Pretty close match here though the Burgman has a slight edge. The lighter SW weight almost makes up for the slightly smaller engine. Fuel economy pretty similar. The Burgman's rpms at 70mph are about 1000 less than the SW at the same speed.
Ride: The Burgman has a smoother ride with less engine vibration almost as good as a Goldwing. Not quite, but darn close for a scooter. Engine noise is greater on the SW.
Reliability: This is one area that I give to the Silverwing. There are many of them I know of that have gone beyond 100,000 miles without major repairs. The Burgman does worry me a bit. Mine has 13,000 miles on it. The plastic gears in the transmission don't make me feel warm and fuzzy. Also the problems some have with the transmission bearings and the difficulty to replace the CVT belt aren't encouraging.

So that's where I ended up. I reluctantly decided to sell the Silverwing in preference to the Burgman. The only reservation I have is the reliability of the Burgman. In all other ways I do like the B650 over the SW. Here's hoping...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Old-n-slow said:
Keeping you various body parts out of the argument....I am going to slightly disagree with you. I own a Kymco Xciting 500 after my beloved Burgman 400 bit the dust in an unfortunate dust up with a bigger vehicle (**** you insurance company!).

The Kymco's do have a different look, it's a little more sportier than the Burgman's. It's a little easier to work on, in my opinion" in that nearly everything can be accessed from under the seat. That of course means, no storage except for a full face helmet.

I think as my former Burgman as more as a touring bike, the Xciting more as a "sport" bike. Each will have it's niche. Personally I would take a Burgman hands down over the Kymco.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Houndguy, I was referring to the MyRoad 700, not the Xciting. Nothing against it, but I couldn't flat foot on the Xcitings that I looked at a few years ago, so I went with the Burgman. After I had a Yamaha Majesty. After I had a Chinese 250cc POC. :oops:

Here's a link to the Kymco website's gallery for the MyRoad 700i: http://www.kymco.com/product/gallery.as ... 06787d55cd

I think that the 3 headlight front end is ugly and I don't care too much for the back end of it, either. I may get a chance to see one in person starting around June after which I may change my mind. (I change my mind all of the time; just did it again!) :roll: MSRP is supposed to be about $10,000.00.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As I've aged and grown weaker in the upper body, I have down-shifter from BMW's R1150R to a '07 Honda Silverwing. It was a good ride, fast and tractable in the curves. I did not like it at slow speeds where the smaller wheels brought on a wobble in the front end. I also didn't like the wear rates for the belt. Mine also did not have ABS, which I've come to value. So, I sold it with about 10K on it and bought a pristine '07 Burgman Exec with 1900 miles. The Burgman feels heavier and a bit clumsier than the SW, but otherwise seems comparable; similar gas mileage. I routinely get in the mid-50's, driving in mountains and valleys. I tend to ride conservatively. I did get a good lesson on mpg on the Burg, though. Being late for an appointment, I hauled a** down Oregon-California's I-5 at 80-85 and ran out of gas in evening traffic in Sacramento. 30 mpg at those speeds. The SW was not so temperamental on the mpg; I never dropped below 40 on it, and usually got 50-60. At 60-65 the Burg gets about 55. :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts