Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I briefly looked at maxi scooters about a year ago and they all seemed a bit to cramped in the legroom area for taller (let's say over 6ft tall) riders.

I am 6' 3" and felt like my knees were almost touching against the handlebars. I looked at Suzuki, Honda & Aprilia.

What model(s) would be best for me now? Perhaps there are new choices for me, or mods available for one of these?

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
We have many members over 6' tall (I'm 6'2'), and there are many things that can be done.

I have midified the butt stop and gained about a inch, and moved the handlebars foward (maxed) and gained another inch.

Others have removed the butt stop completley gaing as much as 2".

Others have gone the Corbin seat route for more room yet, a bit pricy @ $400 +, but they say it's nice.

I will say the 650 seems to have the most room, of the bunch available.

Feel free to check out the Gallery of photos, on some ideas.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm 6'3" and have no problems fitting on the 650. Occasionaly if I go over a big pot hole my left knee will bump the dash. Hasn't bugged me enough to modify the seat. I did find that the windshield was too small and opted for the Suzuki OEM larger screen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm of the big butt variety and of all the scooters I have riden and sat on, the one with the most legroom is the Burgman 650. As stated above there are alot of minor changes that can be made to make it fit you better.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm 6'7'' tall and I admit that my knees are pretty close to the dash on the 650. So far, this hasn't been a problem at all, however, so I don't think that I'll need to make any changes to the butt stop to get more legroom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do all you tall riders feel comfortable in legs during rides of a couple hours or more (with breaks of course)?

I haven't ridden the Burgman, but when sitting on it at a dealer the closeness of my knees to the dash, and the very close to 90 degree bend in my knees, made me wonder about long riding comfort.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My butt will give out far before my knees. My knees stay comfortable because I can move them to many different positions on the running boards and alleviate any cramping or stiffining before it occurs.

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
jfrocke said:
Do all you tall riders feel comfortable in legs during rides of a couple hours or more (with breaks of course)?

I haven't ridden the Burgman, but when sitting on it at a dealer the closeness of my knees to the dash, and the very close to 90 degree bend in my knees, made me wonder about long riding comfort.
I ride feet foward 95% of the time, close to a recliner position. I never had a problem with my knees hitting anything.

As arby stated, you can move your feet around quit a bit.

you might want to check this thread out
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I am 6'6" tall, with a 34.5" inseam. I sat on both Burgmans and a Silverwing while scooter shopping. The Burgman 650 was the only one where the handlebars did not hit my leg when fully turned. That might be something that could be corrected on the others with fairly minor modification - I'm not sure. With the butt stop in place, my shins would contact the lower edge of the dash if I put my feet in the forward position. Removing the butt stop solved that problem, and made me more comfortable overall. On a long touring day, I sometimes wish I could get maybe one inch further back on the seat, but for the majority of the riding I do it is fine. I have put close to 14,000 miles on my Burgman 650 and I am quite pleased with it overall. I've done about six 500 mile days on it, and I often do 200 mile weekend rides.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I'm 6'5" with a 37' inseam (Yeah, I'm all legs and arms).

When I first got my 650 my legs would brush the dash, so I took of the butt stop for a while. I put it back on during my long trip last summer (3,000+ miles from Everett, Washington to Canadian Border to Mexican Border and back to Everett). The seat must have "settled" or something, because I now have an inch or so of clearance. Loosing 20 pounds might have helped some, too. (30 pounds to go, but it's an uphill battle against a mountain of Mexican and Italian cuisine.)

Being just 8 months shy of a half century old, and having worked a sedentary job for the last two years, on trips of over three hours my knees get a little stiff, but that happens in cars, too, so I can't blame the Burgman. Alternating between my usual feet forward position to flat footed (90 degree bend at knees) and even brief excusions into acute angles and back helps, as does pushing forward and back against the floorboards to get some pumping action in the old leg muscles from time to time. At every gas stop I do a litttle stretching and some easy squats to get the circulation going.

This summer I'm goping to try for an IBA Border to Border in 36 Hours award (maybe even the BTB24 if I'm feeling really ambitious), and I'll be taking ice packs for the knees to use at the hotel when I get there, just in case. (I'd rather trade my body in on a newer model, but I can't find any donors nor any doctors who know how to do a brain transplant. :roll: )

Overall, though, I find the 650 quite comfortable for 90% of the rides I do, and only slightly uncomfortable on the other 10%.

·
Registered
250 Posts
After barely 1500 miles in the past 6 weeks' ownership, I can report that my Burger 650 has 'settled' and moulded to my shape. The saddle no longer requires my AirHawk cover and my knees no longer brush the dash.

Happy bear!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would recommend the corbin. Gives the needed legroom for you and the comfort for long distances so no monkey butt. Its a little pricey but worth it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I briefly looked at maxi scooters about a year ago and they all seemed a bit to cramped in the legroom area for taller (let's say over 6ft tall) riders.

I am 6' 3" and felt like my knees were almost touching against the handlebars. I looked at Suzuki, Honda & Aprilia.

What model(s) would be best for me now? Perhaps there are new choices for me, or mods available for one of these?
I just tried to sit on one 650. Bumped my knees against the dashboard, drawing blood against some sharp plastic. 36 inch inseem. Burgman 400 is much more spacious. Go figure. will try BMW,

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I just tried to sit on one 650. Bumped my knees against the dashboard, drawing blood against some sharp plastic. 36 inch inseem. Burgman 400 is much more spacious. Go figure. will try BMW,
Lift the seat on the B650 and slide the backrest completely out.
We have some guys here that are taller and the swear by the B650.
You can get aftermarket seats, bar risers and screens that will really make you happy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
"I just tried to sit on one 650. Bumped my knees against the dashboard ... will try BMW"

The BMW scooter definitely has more legroom. I'm 6'1" with 32" inseam and can ALMOST stretch out my legs fully on my C 650 GT, something I can't think about on a stock Burgman.

The Burgman 650 lets you remove the buttrest with a few screws, and that adds a lot of legroom (a full leg stretch for me if I plant my feet way up high on the slanted part of the footboard). There are two round holes on the Burgman (photo).

It's also easy to remove the BMW's buttrest, but it is, pardon the expression, butt ugly underneath.

My solution was to order a Corbin seat with a special order to eliminate the backrest pod so the rear of the driver's seat is pushed back 3 inches. I've had a Corbin seat to the spec before and full leg stretches are easy (and feel SO good on long rides).

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not on B650 2018, which I sat on. Seat back support has to be unscrewed

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Well I'm 6'6" and about 240 lbs with a 36" inseam and fit my 2014 B650 quite fine. But here's what I had to do.
First off, I modified the entire seat pan to move the "hump" back about 3 inches. Still have the two holes so the Izuzu Headrest Backrest still fits. Had that work done at a local custom hot-rod seat shop.

Then I ordered some bar-backs which bring the handlebars 1" back and 1 inch up. Then rotated the bars to get the exact position I desired. However I also took off the handlebar covers and ride the bike bare-bar (note that's NOT bare-back!!!) :p

After those mods the scoot is just fine for my long legs, even on 12+ hour days.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I notice you are looking at Maxi scooters. Crazy as it may seem, have you considered bikes such as the Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr model. They are all quick bikes but the new HPE engined bikes are faster still, and although not a Maxi is very comfortable for tall people. I'm 6'2" with 33 inseam and I find it comfy on all day rides of 300-400 miles. I bought mine new just over 3 years ago and have covered a huge mileage on it, it's bullet proof! Vespa are experts at making bikes that fit virtully everyone, any size. I swapped my Burgman for a Vespa and don't regret it. The only thing you may have to consider is whether or not you will be riding with a pillion. The Vespa is ok for pillion work but if the person you are riding with is large, it's not so good. There isn't as much room as on a Burgman of 400/650 for a pillion rider, but as the rider, you'd be fine. However, that aside, if you took a test ride on one, you'd get the shock of your life and you'd most likely want one! lol...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts