Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow. I'd love to see Arizona but my back wouldn't last on the Burgman going that far. Maybe the Versys, but that would be like a 2500 mile trip. Probably if I went, I wouldn't come back to New York City because I'm looking for a way out of this open-air prison.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow. I'd love to see Arizona but my back wouldn't last on the Burgman going that far. Maybe the Versys, but that would be like a 2500 mile trip. Probably if I went, I wouldn't come back to New York City because I'm looking for a way out of this open-air prison.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
Louie, the rally is in North Arkansas and if you read thru the thread there will be a Big Tall Canadian on a B650 entering the States somewhere south of Toronto. I’m thinking that will be west of Niagara Falls ....If you can follow him you will not have to worry about bugs, or rain hitting you....you will probably get the best mpg ever drafting that guy. That same Giant is a magician with a camera that will make you and the Versys look like Ian MacGregor on a BMW R1150gs taming the world ;)

Maybe Steve_YYZ could chart his ride so that possibly you could meet and follow him.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Wow. I'd love to see Arizona but my back wouldn't last on the Burgman going that far.....
LOL, the ONLY way I can ride as far as I do on my Burgy is with a good backrest. And I'm not talking about that little butt-stop that comes standard. I've got the one made from an old Isuzu headrest. Does the job and with back support, I'm good to go without pain.

Louie, the rally is in North Arkansas and if you read thru the thread there will be a Big Tall Canadian on a B650 entering the States somewhere south of Toronto. I’m thinking that will be west of Niagara Falls ....If you can follow him you will not have to worry about bugs, or rain hitting you....you will probably get the best mpg ever drafting that guy. That same Giant is a magician with a camera that will make you and the Versys look like Ian MacGregor on a BMW R1150gs taming the world ;)

Maybe Steve_YYZ could chart his ride so that possibly you could meet and follow him.
Ha, ha, ha.......
Roughly, here's my route down. Lots of super-slab and entering the US in Detroit.

https://goo.gl/maps/XZbN8gFEov15kZ1s6

Going to try something new this year for the trip. Longest I've ever done on my Burg is 840 km in a day. So I'm looking at running Toronto to Effingham IL (1068 km) the first day. Just to say I've ridden over 1,000 km in a day. Then I can goof along on the 2nd day into Harrison.

Route back will likely be thru Memphis, Nashville, Tellico Plains, then work my way up the BRP to home.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Going to try something new this year for the trip. Longest I've ever done on my Burg is 840 km in a day. So I'm looking at running Toronto to Effingham IL (1068 km) the first day. Just to say I've ridden over 1,000 km in a day. Then I can goof along on the 2nd day into Harrison.
You gotta stop in Detroit and visit the Burg Cave .... That is going to be one funny pic.

Reactions: Louienycbx

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Maxi-Scoots AND STO Rallies - Double Header Jackpot!!!

... Well if everything comes together with my Annual Leave bid here at work, I'm hoping to make a great trip out of this.

Maxi Scooter Rally in Harrison AR from Sept 8 to 13
then a 40 mile ride over to
Scooting the Ozarks in Eureka Springs AR from Sept 14 to 19.

Hope to leave Toronto Canada on Sept 5, and return home by Sept 26
Hey Steve, we're planning on attending both Rallies again in September too.

For anybody that doesn't know about one or both Rallies, here are some observations based on our personal experience attending both the Maxi-Scoots Rally and the STO Rally as a double header when they were back to back events near the same geographic area and dates a few years back. This year, we're planning to leave Waterloo ON Canada on Sat Sept 5 and return home by Sun Sept 20th. We trailer our maxi-scooters behind our slide-in truck camper and this combines the best of both worlds for us ... camping and riding. BTW - the Wanderlust RV Campground (STO Rally) is a great place to stay based on our experience RV camping there a few years ago.

There are differences between the two Rallies. For instance, at the Maxi-Scoots Rally, you can usually choose the riding style which best suits your skills and comfort level. Its not uncommon to have two or sometimes even three groups riding the same route one behind the other comprised of a "fast, assertive riding pack", a "mid-paced" pack and a more leisurely "sightseeing" pack. The main difference is the pace each Ride Leader sets and the faster pack gets to the designated stops first but the other packs are not far behind. Makes bio-breaks a little more staggered and less of a bottleneck. It is ALL-WAYS stressed that each rider should "ride their own ride" and people do exactly that with no pressure. Also, with several on-road tire failures under our belts at different times, we can absolutely say NOBODY ever gets left behind!

Regardless, there are tons of opportunities to socialize but Maggie (Maxi-Scoots Organizer) keeps things loose and flexible to respect people's individual preferences and tastes i.e. you can be a joiner or design your own itinerary and head out on your own ... no harm/no foul. In the evenings, people do get together for dinners, campfires (if available) etc. but it is a little less pre-planned and a little more spontaneous. Having participated from the inaugural Maxi-Scoots.com get-together, I can say people make sure nobody feels left out. The no registration fee is indicative of this Rally ... "hey if you want to attend or do something ... then great. If not, no worries."

From a pure riding perspective, we found the STO Rally riding to be somewhat more relaxed and a less technically challenging event for us ... likely due to the somewhat controlled pace which the Ride Leaders set. Also, everyone rode in one big group which means the Ride Leader is setting that right, balanced pace for all. Still lots of great scenery and fun along the way and last time when Lance was one of our Ride Leaders, he certainly took us on many really great countryside rides. When we last attended a few years back, the STO get-together had more "organized, pre-planned" social events like a community sit-down dinner at the Hotel, a poker run and a shine 'n show event. There is a modest Registration Fee (about $50 if I recall correctly) which helps to cover costs such as the Rally dinner, entertainment, prizes etc.

Organizers and attendees at both riding events were really great to hang out with ... what can I say ... we're all riders and mostly scooterists (BTW - MC's are welcomed at both events). My sense from attending both Rally's last time was the Maxi-Scoot Rally's attendee demographic may be slightly younger by a few years. Even if the riders weren't that much younger, some of their riding styles were definitely very spirited.

BOTTOM LINE: Obviously we enjoy both Rallies very much as we plan to attend both of these great events again this September 2020. We highly recommend attending both if you can swing it. Who knows when these events will be that close in geography and dates again as the Maxi-Scoots Rally changes locations annually. Carpe Diem!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
... snipped ... You gotta stop in Detroit and visit the Burg Cave .... That is going to be one funny pic.
I met a brother of one of this crew at a rest stop on Interstate 75 on the way back from the inaugural Maxi-Scoots Rally in St.Louis MO about 10 years ago. He was on a custom made 1L sport racer and as we geared up, he turned to me and said how he thought maxi-scooters were dope and how his brother was affiliated with a Burgman riding group out of Detroit. We chatted for a minute and then went our separate ways. This must be the group he was talking about. It's funny how the scooter thing created instant common ground between us.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I met a brother of one of this crew at a rest stop on Interstate 75 on the way back from the inaugural Maxi-Scoots Rally in St.Louis MO about 10 years ago. He was on a custom made 1L sport racer and as we geared up, he turned to me and said how he thought maxi-scooters were dope and how his brother was affiliated with a Burgman riding group out of Detroit. We chatted for a minute and then went our separate ways. This must be the group he was talking about. It's funny how the scooter thing created instant common ground between us.
I’d love to roll up to the “Burg Cave” when they’re having a covered dish dinner.

When it comes to Burgman Customization they win hands down.

Hope to see you in Arkansas.

P.S.

Since you’re from Canada do you know anything about this cheese ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oka_cheese

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
683 Posts
There are differences between the two Rallies. For instance, at the Maxi-Scoots Rally, you can usually choose the riding style which best suits your skills and comfort level. Its not uncommon to have two or sometimes even three groups riding the same route one behind the other comprised of a "fast, assertive riding pack", a "mid-paced" pack and a more leisurely "sightseeing" pack. The main difference is the pace each Ride Leader sets and the faster pack gets to the designated stops first but the other packs are not far behind. Makes bio-breaks a little more staggered and less of a bottleneck. It is ALL-WAYS stressed that each rider should "ride their own ride" and people do exactly that with no pressure. Also, with several on-road tire failures under our belts at different times, we can absolutely say NOBODY ever gets left behind!
I had different experiences with the two rallies. Each day at STO2019 there were several groups that went out, often on different routes and at different paces. It was easy to choose one to your liking. Further, they were all described on the white board under the tent so everyone knew the options. This was not the case with Maxi-Scoots because Maggie would change things without notice and some of us never knew it until we showed up at the ride start and no one else was there. In fact, one ride was changed to a "car" trip, instead of riding, and some of us were never told. From the perspective of group dynamics, I would say that some participants at Maxi Scoots most certainly DID get left behind...repeatedly.

Regardless, there are tons of opportunities to socialize but Maggie (Maxi-Scoots Organizer) keeps things loose and flexible to respect people's individual preferences and tastes i.e. you can be a joiner or design your own itinerary and head out on your own ... no harm/no foul. In the evenings, people do get together for dinners, campfires (if available) etc. but it is a little less pre-planned and a little more spontaneous. Having participated from the inaugural Maxi-Scoots.com get-together, I can say people make sure nobody feels left out. The no registration fee is indicative of this Rally ... "hey if you want to attend or do something ... then great. If not, no worries."
"No harm/no foul" as long as you are given a chance to be a "joiner." Maxi-Scoots is more "spontaneous" because Maggie runs the group and determines what is to happen each day and who is to be invited. If you're fortunate, you find out what Maggie has planned. If not, well, you're outta luck. Dinner locations were also changed at the last minute, but no great effort was made to communicate them.

From a pure riding perspective, we found the STO Rally riding to be somewhat more relaxed and a less technically challenging event for us ... likely due to the somewhat controlled pace which the Ride Leaders set. Also, everyone rode in one big group which means the Ride Leader is setting that right, balanced pace for all. Still lots of great scenery and fun along the way and last time when Lance was one of our Ride Leaders, he certainly took us on many really great countryside rides. When we last attended a few years back, the STO get-together had more "organized, pre-planned" social events like a community sit-down dinner at the Hotel, a poker run and a shine 'n show event. There is a modest Registration Fee (about $50 if I recall correctly) which helps to cover costs such as the Rally dinner, entertainment, prizes etc.
Not the case for me. There were typically several groups running at different paces. I rode on some challenging routes, and some not so challenging. Made for a great mix.

Organizers and attendees at both riding events were really great to hang out with ... what can I say ... we're all riders and mostly scooterists (BTW - MC's are welcomed at both events). My sense from attending both Rally's last time was the Maxi-Scoot Rally's attendee demographic may be slightly younger by a few years. Even if the riders weren't that much younger, some of their riding styles were definitely very spirited.
Maxi-Scoots is clearly MAGGIE'S group: She is the sole organizer and she makes all the decisions. If you are part of her inner circle, you'll be fine. If not, then expect to feel like an outsider. The attendees at Maxi-Scoots did, indeed, make great efforts to be welcoming, which is why I became fond of many of them. Had it not been for them, however, we would have departed early. We never felt that Maggie wanted us there, it made for an uncomfortable week for us, and did not make us enthusiastic about attending another Maxi-Scoots rally.

Thank goodness for STO, then, which is run by a great GROUP of people each taking responsibility for a different aspect of the rally. It was also far more diverse, with subsets of riding buddies instead of everything being focused on a single organizer, and I found I could move between them easily. The organizing group made decisions together, which were clearly communicated by way of a white board. When things changed, everyone found out about it easily enough. I felt like a full-fledged member of the community, unlike my "outside-looking-in" experience with Maxi-Scoots.

Your mileage may vary. Obviously, Suziblu's did. :smile

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Since you’re from Canada do you know anything about this cheese ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oka_cheese
Hmmm..... I can see myself riding down to Arkansas and adding a small cooler to my load, stuffed with ice and Oka Cheese. Should be able to bring down some for those who might be interested. Available in 190g packages for around $7.00 Cdn.

Maxi-Scoots is clearly MAGGIE'S group: She is the sole organizer and she makes all the decisions. If you are part of her inner circle, you'll be fine. If not, then expect to feel like an outsider. The attendees at Maxi-Scoots did, indeed, make great efforts to be welcoming, which is why I became fond of many of them. Had it not been for them, however, we would have departed early. We never felt that Maggie wanted us there, it made for an uncomfortable week for us, and did not make us enthusiastic about attending another Maxi-Scoots rally.
I'm not sure which one(s) of the Maxi Scoot Meetups you've attended. My first was the Meetup at Minocqua WI in 2017 and it was great. Then I did the one in Scottsboro AL in 2018 and it was a bit more confusing. I think one of the issues is that some people camp, and some people do the hotel route. In Minocqua we were all in a single resort type hotel which made planning and communication so much better. At Scottsboro we were more spread out in multiple hotels/resort which did lead to communication problems. I think the problem is that it is a lot of work for a single person to try and arrange everything. It's even difficult to pick a single place for everyone to stay. Some prefer to camp, some cheap hotels, and some with a better budget prefer accommodations with more amenities. Hard to please everyone. But it is what it is and I've enjoyed all the Meetups I've attended, though they did vary in character.
Heck, in Scottsboro, even thought it was only my 2nd Meetup, I ended up volunteering, planning (with Google Maps) and leading a long days ride out to the Talladega Forest and the Little River Canyon. It was a long (500 km) 300+ mile) day but I stepped up to help ease the load on Maggie.
We all had a great time......

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Hmmm..... I can see myself riding down to Arkansas and adding a small cooler to my load, stuffed with ice and Oka Cheese. Should be able to bring down some for those who might be interested. Available in 190g packages for around $7.00 Cdn.

]

Sweet ! A Tapas Party in The Ozark’s

Count me in I’ll be bringing:

a baguette and the Sangria Fortifier ;)

P.S.
How do I make my sausage look bigger ?

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
DarisPakar, you tryna git me throwed offa here?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
... snipped ... Hmmm..... I can see myself riding down to Arkansas and adding a small cooler to my load, stuffed with ice and Oka Cheese. Should be able to bring down some for those who might be interested. Available in 190g packages for around $7.00 Cdn.
Steve, you might want to check out, in advance, if cheese is allowed over the border from Canada to the USA. We had an experience where the US Custom and Border officials emptied and threw out our cooler's and RV's freezer & fridge of foods that were not "processed". That included all of our fresh meats, vegetables, milk products, fruits etc. All we were left with was pretty much our condiments etc. That was back in 2006 in the PNW area coming in from BC. Nowadays, when we travel to the USA, we simply do our major grocery shopping once we cross the border.

Reactions: Steve_YYZ

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Oh No ! Homer Land Insecurity !

·
Registered
683 Posts
Heck, in Scottsboro, even thought it was only my 2nd Meetup, I ended up volunteering, planning (with Google Maps) and leading a long days ride out to the Talladega Forest and the Little River Canyon. It was a long (500 km) 300+ mile) day but I stepped up to help ease the load on Maggie.
We all had a great time......

I was in Scottsboro and I'm right there in the picture. Your ride was clearly the high point of the rally for me in terms of scenery, riding challenge and, most importantly, the comaraderie that had been missing for me most of the week.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I glad to find this rally. I love STO but the dates this year are too late for me. I work for the government and can't take leave the last 2 weeks in September (gotta spend that taxpayer dollar). I'm going to check this out and see if the logistics work out.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Does anybody know what the "official" hotels are going to be for both events? I'd like to get cracking on booking my hotels, planning my route, stops, etc, and of course FOOD stops and REFRESHING BEVERAGE stops (when the scooter is parked for the night)!!!!

Let me know if you know....

thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Does anybody know what the "official" hotels are going to be for both events? I'd like to get cracking on booking my hotels, planning my route, stops, etc, and of course FOOD stops and REFRESHING BEVERAGE stops (when the scooter is parked for the night)!!!!

Let me know if you know....

thanks
Steve
I was hoping you were bringing a tent...?

This for Harrison, AR

And this was for Eureka Springs last year.

Host hotel will again be Quality Inn Of Eureka Springs. This has been STO's host for the past several years and we have no complaints with their service and facilities. To receive the STO discount when you make reservations you must call 479-253-5241 or 800-828-0109 and tell them you are reserving for the Scooting The Ozarks Rally

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm planning a ten day group road trip, from Friday September 4 through Sunday, the 13th, traveling from Grand Junction, Colorado to the Maxi-Scoot rally, spending Tuesday through Thursday on the rally rides, then back to Grand Junction. On the way to the rally, our first two days will be spent traveling a number of excellent roads in Colorado on a not very direct route. Total trip about 2500 miles plus rally rides, which look to be 100 to 300 miles a day. Including myself, I've got eight riders committed. I am still working on details, but have the route fairly firmed up and have made reservations for up to twelve people each night out to, and at the rally. To my knowledge, all eight will be returning to Grand Junction, but as some are joining from other states, including Texas, I can see them breaking away for a more direct ride home or staying over for the STO rally. That said, I have four openings on a first come basis for anyone wanting to join us from Grand Junction, with my approval. Lodging when available will be such as KOA Kozy Kabins to minimize cost, with hotels as necessary (hotel at rally). Let me know!

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Well Done Scooter_Maniac please keep us posted on developments.

*Grand Junction is only two hours from Moab.... Have you ever Scooted The Arches ? Would I cry not bringing a Dual Sport ?

* Removed and put back ......I get so excited that I cause things to drift ..... this drift is great !

21 - 40 of 57 Posts