1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Darn. Same time as another meet-up/gathering I usually attend in Wisconsin. Otherwise I'd be interested. In October I attended a riding/camping event with the same group in Clayton Lake SP, Oklahoma so this is not outside my range.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wisconsin should be cooler ...I got sunburnt and rain washed in Arkansas this year during close to the same dates....but the roads, food and friends are great memories .

You don’t happen to play cribbage do ya....the Badgers play a good game of it.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'm an Iowan, but I do play Cribbage. My dad (from Chicago) took it seriously as did my father in law (from Iowa). Been awhile for me now though.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great Game with a pitcher of Old Style Beer and Cheese Curds.

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
Cheese Curds on Steak Frys shothered in gravy.... And a pitcher of some GOOD bier. :smile

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Well if everything comes together with my Annual Leave bid here at work, I'm hoping to make a great trip out of this.

Maxi Scooter Rally in Harrison AR from Sept 8 to 13
then a 40 mile ride over to
Scooting the Ozarks in Eureka Springs AR from Sept 14 to 19.

Hope to leave Toronto Canada on Sept 5, and return home by Sept 26

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You went to far this time Dave_J .....Talk about thread drift..Arkansas, Wisconsin and now you got us in Quebec ;) How many miles are you from Branson Missouri Dave ?

Poutine (/puːˈtiːn/ poo-TEEN, Quebec French: [put͡sɪn] (About this soundlisten)) is a dish that includes french fries and cheese curds topped with a brown gravy. It originated in the Canadian province of Quebec and emerged in the late 1950s in the Centre-du-Québec area. It has long been associated with Quebec cuisine. For many years, it was perceived negatively and mocked, and even used by some to stigmatize Quebec society. Poutine later became celebrated as a symbol of Québécois cultural pride. Its rise in prominence led to its popularity outside the province, especially in Ontario, the Maritimes, and in the Northeastern United States.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if everything comes together with my Annual Leave bid here at work, I'm hoping to make a great trip out of this.

Sweet ! I wanna be in your pictures and if we can get some 2 on 2 basketball for beers I’ll feed you the ball.

PS...Do your own maintenance this time...you can’t do any worse than the last guys.

Reactions: Steve_YYZ

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
Cheese Curds on Steak Frys shothered in gravy.... And a pitcher of some GOOD bier. :smile
You went to far this time Dave_J .....Talk about thread drift..Arkansas, Wisconsin and now you got us in Quebec ;) How many miles are you from Branson Missouri Dave ?

Poutine (/puːˈtiːn/ poo-TEEN, Quebec French: [put͡sɪn] (About this soundlisten)) is a dish that includes french fries and cheese curds topped with a brown gravy. It originated in the Canadian province of Quebec and emerged in the late 1950s in the Centre-du-Québec area. It has long been associated with Quebec cuisine. For many years, it was perceived negatively and mocked, and even used by some to stigmatize Quebec society. Poutine later became celebrated as a symbol of Québécois cultural pride. Its rise in prominence led to its popularity outside the province, especially in Ontario, the Maritimes, and in the Northeastern United States.
Well, I don't do the 15-2 15-4 stuff but I know where to get GOOD Poutine and GOOD beer around here. :grin We started having Poutine up here in the 60's.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
689 Posts

I've ridden with both of these groups, Maxi Scooters in 2018 (when I met the esteemed Steve_YYZ) and Scooting the Ozarks (STO) in 2019. Both were attended by nice folks, although the STO rally was better organized, the schedule was more stable, and communication was superior. Most importantly to me as a first timer at both, I felt that the STO rally, overall, was much more welcoming and inclusive to new participants.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've ridden with both of these groups, Maxi Scooters in 2018 (when I met the esteemed Steve_YYZ) and Scooting the Ozarks (STO) in 2019. Both were attended by nice folks, although the STO rally was better organized, the schedule was more stable, and communication was superior. Most importantly to me as a first timer at both, I felt that the STO rally, overall, was much more welcoming and inclusive to new participants.
YMMV.
Let me know if you're coming to the rally's and I'll swing thru Cincinnati on my route. That's about 1 long day's ride from Toronto.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Let me know if you're coming to the rally's and I'll swing thru Cincinnati on my route. That's about 1 long day's ride from Toronto.

Generous offer. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be at the first rally because of a scheduling conflict. I do plan to get to the STO rally, though, so I will look forward to seeing you there!

·
Super Moderator
880 Posts
Wow, back to back weeks for scooter rallies and both in the same area. I have made it to two of the STO rallies and had a great time at each. Getting time away is always tough but I will try to make both. I've ridden some of the roads around Harrison and pretty much think there are very few bad roads in the north central/northwest Arkansas area for a bike.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I may possibly ride out that way and make one of these rallys. Have been wanting to hit the STO for a few years, but have never made it that far west.

I wish there was a major/minor rally a little more East this year...WVA,VA, NC,SC,TN,GA,KY are more my wheelhouse state, but would like to meet some more of the folks on here.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I may possibly ride out that way and make one of these rallys. Have been wanting to hit the STO for a few years, but have never made it that far west.

I wish there was a major/minor rally a little more East this year...WVA,VA, NC,SC,TN,GA,KY are more my wheelhouse state, but would like to meet some more of the folks on here.

The local chapters of MSTA hold annual rallies in Mt. Sterling, KY in July, Corydon, IN in early August, and Marietta, OH in late August.. I'm generally one of the only scooters there but they are good folks and excellent riders. There are several scooter rallies all over the area, too, but those are too dangerous for my tastes.

·
Super Moderator
880 Posts

STO is a fun gathering. It's been around for several years and is pretty well ran. Lance does a great job of orchestrating it and keeping the momentum up for the coming year. It's a rally filled with too much food at the various stops along the way and some great roads. If you can swing the time away I would recommend it. There are no high mileage days and no pressure to do anything. It is just an enjoyable riding experience in a beautiful area. I have not made it to the Maxi-Scooter Meet Up yet but I am going to try next year as they will be so close and one following the other.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, I don't do the 15-2 15-4 stuff but I know where to get GOOD Poutine and GOOD beer around here. :grin We started having Poutine up here in the 60's.

Cheese curds aren’t the same as cottage cheese, are they? I’m thinking they are not, or why would anyone rave about those?

I am intrigued enough to want to try poutine, but want the real deal, not some poor knock-off version. However, I’m afraid poutine would be a bit bland, and heavy for me? I enjoy cooking, and trying new things in particular. But so far, I cannot abide anything, really, that I tried from the U.K. or Canadian cooking traditions, they seem to like bland stuff that seems like little more than boiled paper plates with gravy. My gosh, they BOIL roasts in England/Scotland! Seems they cannot stand anything with bold flavors. And now, I subscribed to a Youtube channel of a cook making traditional foods from the Canadian province of Newfoundland. Actually, I am about to unsubscribe, the food seems as heavy and bland as that of the UK. Am I wrong in my beliefs? Is it all fish cakes, potatoes, canned corned beef, and gravies up north? Take me to school, please!

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ibuzzard ,

Imagine a smooth rubbery piece of colby cheese or a dry mozzarella ball that is squeaky when you eat it about the size of two joints of your pinky finger.

It’s a green cheese... no age..no sharpness....bland but good. The best I had were cold smoked....Addicting and leads to a painful exit.

For you I would recommend a Chipotle Dipping Sauce.

I myself have reached next to the last rung for my need for cheese...I’m eating room temp Blue Cheese spread on saltines...I’m afraid I’ll be eating limburger before they close my lid.

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
Steve, curds are really un-aged cheese. Take Chedder Curds, they make the curds and whey. Whey is a watery waste that is drained and most times dumped.

The new curds are then chopped and packaged. They do have a softer bite to the tongue being not aged.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts