Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm close to my 2nd maintenance and would like to do it on my own, in order to do so I need to get a Torque wrench which i dont have so I want to know what would be the appropriated one to do the maintenance on the 400.

one last question, the service manual says check the chassis, oil, etc, is there anything else that is not in the manual that you would recommend take a look at?

thank you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You should be able to pick up a torque wrench from harbor freight for under $20. They were on sale for like $11 recently with coupon.
Accuracy and build quality are far beyond their price point.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You should be able to pick up a torque wrench from harbor freight for under $20. They were on sale for like $11 recently with coupon.
Accuracy and build quality are far beyond their price point.
I'm thinking Harbor Freight may not have any stores in Chile.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Well I have a 3/8th inch wrench with a max torque of 80 ft lbs that does for most things, the only thing I think you may have an issue is the rear wheel axle nut that requires 87ft/lbs , for that I have a impact wrench torque bar. Or you could also get yourself a 1/2 inch wrench , that would do up o maybe 150

Heres the harbors right link, so you can see the specifications, I also assume in chile harbor freight doesn't exist http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-807.html

Good luck buying the tools can actually be fun !

Also check out ledudes site, he has a refererence for tools, aimed at 650 but will work for 400 https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You're probably right that there isn't a Harbor Freight in Chile, but I'll bet there's something similar. China is Chile's largest trading partner.

Fernando, here in the States, Harbor Freight and Northern Tool & Equipment are tool store chains which deal primarily (possibly exclusively) in things imported from China. The quality/value ratio is quite high in my experience. I'd think you should be able to find a similar business there. Hope so!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It occurs to me that Fernando isn't actually asking where to buy a torque wrench... he's asking how big a wrench he needs to get. Sorry about that, Fernando! :angry2:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, so looks like I can get one of 80lbs and get a bigger one for the rear wheel. Chile's got a lot of Chinese stuff that's true but I rather get my things from another source at least its proven to be a quality product.

I've gotten some chinese tools that have lasted one usage and then had to trash it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's one of the things about Harbor Freight here in the US. They generally have very good quality control and if you aren't happy with something, you can return it for refund no questions asked.

China *can* produce quality products if they have an incentive to do so like when a company like Harbor Freight or Apple sets the minimum standards and holds the manufacturer to those standards.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes its good to buy the cheaper products made in China as its good for the bankers who then dont have to pay reasonable wages in the developed countries and thereby encourage the businesses close down and if possible go to China and leave millions at home without a job. I wonder if anyone ever looked at Atlantis and saw what happened when they put all their eggs in one basket ( ie China) and when it was destroyed we ended up in the stone age as there was no manufacturing elsewhere.
Just my thoughts on where we may be heading as a planet again. They say history has a habit of repeating itself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wonder if anyone has found evidence Atlantis ever existed?
I am not arguing on supporting China, though, as I generally try to avoid Chinese products as well as products made in France, Italy, Spain and any products made in the USA that display union made labels... But that is for their political stance, not because of worries about putting eggs in one basket

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
In general torque wrenches tend to be less accurate toward the ends of their scales. For that reason I have 4 different one. A 1/4 inch drive inch pound one for the low torque value fasteners. A 3/8 drive that reads from 0 to 80 ft lb for most of the general stuff. A 3/8 drive that reads from 10 to 120 ft lb for stuff like axle nuts. And a 3/4 drive one for the really big stuff like the nut on the 650 CVT output shaft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts