Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Top speed

They claim 90+ mph (Twist and Go magazine quote) for the 400. I'm picking up the 400 sometime after January and I thought about the 650. It has 100+ mph top speed and the difference really between the two is in the comfort level at the higher speeds. I guess like any smaller engine, the 400 will be working alot harder (rpms) and may not feel as stable since it is about 125 lbs lighter. The wheels are smaller but the wheel base is the same. For the city, 90+ mph is sufficient would you not agree.

I did hesitate to comment because your question seemed best answered by someone who owned the 400 and pegged it through a radar trap. The speedo can be optimisitic so 90+ mph maybe a realistic 85 or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 400 after having owned a Honda Helix. The Burgman 400 has more than enough power to cruise across America and is very stable at speeds upto indicated 90.
andrew

·
Registered
73 Posts
I passed someone on a 4-lane and went up to 92 mph witout topping it out. I still had throttle left and time to spare, but a curve was coming up and a lot of wind was present.

-Tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
top speed on 400...

I have my 400 for about 4 moths. I have taken it past 100. It did not feel as stable as it does at 75-80. It seems to crave 80mph. Incidentally, I'm 6' and 195lbs. I also am using pure synthetic oil in my 400. Hope that gives you some ideas. Miket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My AN400 hit 93 right after the 800 mile service, since then I added the Givi Touring windshield and now it will go 85. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
270 Posts
400 top speed

I bought my 400 last auguest.And soon after the 600 mile service i had to try it out.I didn't pick a very good day for it.there was a strong head wind.But my burgie hit 90mph befor iback out because of a up comeing curve in the road.I don't realy think it hit 100mph even under perfect condtions.But it dose all i want and more.

By the way i'm new at this site.This great.I enjoy reading all the post.
Happy scooting
doug

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: 400 top speed

doug collins said:
I don't realy think it hit 100mph even under perfect condtions.But it dose all i want and more.

Happy scooting
doug
:shock: Update on this post. My wife did see 100mph for a short peroid of time on recent trip we made. :shock: I was shocked. Of course with that 10% error it was actully about 90mph. Still plenty fast. I know i had too push my 650 just to keep up. :shock:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You'll never know the max speed of a 400 until your 400 is running down a smooth steep mountain road, throttle locked wide open, no one aboard, max pressure in the tires, drafting behind a 200mph-capable semi trailer, and someone from the same place that times drag races and high-speed salt flat runs is clocking it. Chop the screen down to sport bike height too.

Is there a rev limiter? If so, disable that too.

To find out YOUR max speed on a 400, then you'll have to be riding it under the same circumstances.

·
Registered
176 Posts
From passing several radar signs now, I estimate my speedo is only 3-5 mph off. This past weekend, I got her up to slightly over 90 mph racing home to beat a storm and needing to pass some trucks. But she was loaded down with about 70lbs of camping gear, including an inflatable raft and my small dog on the pillion.

I found my bike runs best in the 75-80mph range (per speedo) . . . don't really want to go faster than that too often on 13 in. tires. Definitely not with the Givi box attached and with any other topside weight shifting the center of gravity.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
For MAX speed of the 400 you need only drop it out of a plane at about 20K feet ASL. I doubt you will get it faster than that! :lol:
I managed 98 indicated on my trip back from Florida right after I bought it (with a little over 1K on the odometer. That was downhill too but not a steep grade, just a long one.
Realistically she'll hold 80-85 without mods that lower the aerodynamics.
I cruise 78-80 indicated 96% of the time and other than lower MPG I do not notice any problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
max speed burgman 400

Hi I HAVE GO A K2 REG 2002 AN400 WITH ME AND MY BETTER HALF AND FULL OF LUGGAGE AND A BAG TIED TO BACK REST AND RUCK SACK WE GOT 95 I THINK I COULD REACH 100 IN TIME BUT I AM HAPPY GOING 70 WITH NO STRAIN I AM NOT LIGHT

·
Registered
270 Posts
4DThinker said:
You'll never know the max speed of a 400 until your 400 is running down a smooth steep mountain road, throttle locked wide open, no one aboard, max pressure in the tires, drafting behind a 200mph-capable semi trailer, and someone from the same place that times drag races and high-speed salt flat runs is clocking it. Chop the screen down to sport bike height too.

Is there a rev limiter? If so, disable that too.

To find out YOUR max speed on a 400, then you'll have to be riding it under the same circumstances.
:p I know from reading all your post. Why you call yourself 4D thinker. :p Keep it up. We enjoy it. :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Max speed for the 400 might be over 90MPH, however max speed for ME as a person is about 85MPH, which means the 400 exceeds my requirements.

Kinda goes back to why I never boughta 650

:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got an indicated 93 mph on the way into work today. The things I do for pure research.......I must note that it felt as if that speedometer was wildly optimistic though. I would have guessed my speed to be in the low 80's tops.

You can probably pick up a few mph if you tuck your head down behind the windshield and put your feet up on the passegers's floor board but what's the point? If you want a go-fast bike, get one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jim B 01930 said:

You can probably pick up a few mph if you tuck your head down behind the windshield and put your feet up on the passegers's floor board but what's the point?
Ahhh! What's The Point? The point is having fun going faster on your scooter. Getting max performance out of you machine by being part of the equation, not just a "driver". Scooter drivers are called Pilots. Passengers are called Pillions. These are what us Scooteristi have been called for over 50 years.

"Ducking Down" is the number 1 most common modification every scooterists knows. I get a good 5 more mph by hiding behind the legshield. Even on my new 05 Burgman Type S. Me and my 130 lbs Pillion and I ducked down together and easily made that speedo soar right past 90. This thing flys.It may not be as neccary with the Burgman, but it sure helps out on a Vespa. I call it the passing gear!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts