Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the max carrying capacity for the 400? It's not listed on Suzuki's web page.

I'm shopping Burgmans and am considering the 650, but some of the comments about the amount of muscle it takes to wheel it around concern me a bit.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't have the manual with me but it's the gross vehicle weight minus the weight of the bike. When I put my wife on the bike I can tell you we are WAY over. My guess is that we put 450 lbs on the bike. I turn the spring to full hard and put 41 pounds of air in the rear tire. If she sits still (she does) I can barely tell she is there. We jam through the canyons, steep (really steep) up hills knock off a little speed but 55 is doable.

Thanx
Russ

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I also do not have the book in front of me.
but about your other comment "amount of muscle " I heard this about the 400 also. can't say about the 650 but the 400 is no problem at all. I did try to push a 650 in the lot, but I am use to a 1200 cc bike and did not think it was hard, but I did not go very far either. <s>

·
Registered
466 Posts
The Gross weight is 860 lbs. Dry weight 405 lbs. Add 20 lbs. for the battery and all the fluids and you get about 425 lbs. So 860 - 425 = 435 lbs total for passengers and the stuff they carry. Not too bad for a small bike.

Thanx
Russ

·
Registered
394 Posts
Russ Schaeffer said:
The Gross weight is 860 lbs. Dry weight 405 lbs. Add 20 lbs. for the battery and all the fluids and you get about 425 lbs. So 860 - 425 = 435 lbs total for passengers and the stuff they carry...
Good information, Russ. However, we should be careful to not underestimate the "wet weight" of our scooters. Gasoline weighs about 6 pounds per gallon, motor oil around 2 pounds per quart, a Burgman battery is a bit over 6 pounds, and I have no idea what brake fluid or coolant weighs even if empty.

For the Burgman 400 that's 20 to 21 pounds of gas, around 5 pounds of oil, and 6+ lbs for the battery. That's 32 lbs before adding in brake fluid and coolant. I'm guessing if we used 40 lbs for fluids, we'd be pretty close. Also don't forget that any luggage or luggage mounts also add weight.

Taking this all into account, I'd say the Burgman 400 can carry around 400 pounds of passenger and gear, which is still not too shabby.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts