Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am located in Columbia, Maryland and started riding in 2003. As soon as I saw the Burgman's, I couldn't take my mind off of them. Besides, the Honda dealership didn't want to talk to a woman. I bought my 400 in June 2003 and liked it so much that I just moved up to the 650 about a month ago. I wanted more power for longer rides. I love both of them. I am keeping the 400 for my two daughters to learn on. They call them my weiny mobiles, but they are willing to learn on them. When I got the 400 my husband said I would be "scoffed" at. Well, I showed him, I not only don't get "scoffed" at, but I am the one that gets all of the looks and questions. Every time we go down to Annapolis, all of the Harley guys come over and start asking questions. I even got 3 WOW's a few days ago from 3 Harley riders over my 650. So, I am very happy with my bikes.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Mary. Nice to have another lady join our happy group. As a 400 rider, I'd appreciate hearing your comparison of the 400 vrs the 650. Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Mary,

Welcome to the forum. I've ridden my Burgman 650 11,300 miles - I'm just a couple weeks shy of my first anniversary of owning it. It is easily as much fun as any of the motorcycles I've owned - and handier than any of them. I've had many folks come over to look at it and chat when I've stopped to take a break. You made a great choice, and I'm glad you are enjoying it.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Mary, its probably not the scoot that the Harley guys are ogling!

I used to live in Severn, and I can picture the Annapolis wharf on weekends. Used to go down there a lot to eat, look at boats, etc.

Sure miss the Maryland crabs and crabcakes...and Timbuctoo (sp) restuarant out near you.

Welcome to the group.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Mary

Welcome - and why did it take you so long to find us?

:wink: :D

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Mary and welcome to the forum :wave:

I was like you in that I was smitten with the good looks of the 650 the first time I saw it. I didnt even consider what others may say about it, lets face it others don't ride it I do :D I'm enjoying mine thoroughly!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Mary! Welcome to the forum and some of the nicest people on the 'net.
I live about 30 miles north of Hunt Valley so we're, almost neighbors (I'm retired from the Baltimore County government). There's a few of us from our area on the forum now so maybe we can get together for a ride sometime. :D
Don

·
Registered
355 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

I appreciate the welcome. I am really glad I found this forum. I just happened on it yesterday. I guess I just typed in the right thing. I was out most of the day on the 650 and got stopped by a Harley owner who wants to get rid of the noise and gears, then at dinner I had two different guys come over to our table and ask about it. I think I want a commission.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Thanks

MaryVande said:
I appreciate the welcome. I am really glad I found this forum. I just happened on it yesterday. I guess I just typed in the right thing. I was out most of the day on the 650 and got stopped by a Harley owner who wants to get rid of the noise and gears, then at dinner I had two different guys come over to our table and ask about it. I think I want a commission.
Hi Mary

You need to warn those Harley dudes that life will get tough for them if they buy a Burger - they will be doing a lot more riding and a helluva lot less time polishing - ask if they think that their butts are up to it!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has amazed me how many Harley people ask questions about the Burgman. And then there are the Goldwing guys. I think my husband was a little jealous at first with all of the attention the Burgman was getting, now he gets in the act and starts telling people all about it. And he is a Valkyrie owner. He still likes shifting gears. I think he's nuts.

Hey Don! we are heading up to PawPaw, WV on Sunday if you want to join us. We are meeting at MickeyD's in Clarksville at 9:30 am. I am the only Scooter, but the guys and gals would love to have another one show up. We plan to be back around 6:00.

The SCRC club I am in was inpressed with how the 400 took the curves around the Smoke Hole, WV area a few weeks ago. They don't laugh at the scooter anymore.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Columbia scooter

Hi Mary,

It's good to see someone close by. I live in Ellicott City off Centennial Lane, so I know we're close. The only Burgman I have seen besides mine is a 400 over by Best Buy a couple of months ago. I'm out of town this weekend, but would love to hook up sometime in the future. We could gang up on the Harleys and Goldwings.

·
Registered
367 Posts
MaryVande said:
They call them my weiny mobiles, but they are willing to learn on them.
:D
Ask them if they want to put up REAL money and go drag with their cars!!!

I figure that if I took the 650 off the side of mine I might be able to pay to it in a couple of weeks!
Congrats for buying a Weiny bike!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome, Mary! We have a 400 and may be getting a second. Or a 650, with the special Suzuki is running right now.

May I ask, how tall are you? I'm 5'1" and wondering about the 650's size. Also, how does the 650 handle differently from the 400 in day-to-day traffic?

Cheers,
Bryna

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bryna, The differences that I see between the 400 and the 650 are the ride and excelleration. The 650 is bigger and has the bigger tires and shocks, so it is a smoother ride. And the pick up is amazing, it's like a rocket. I think the 400 is the best choice for downtown driving. It doesn't have the gearing up and down as drastic as the 650. But, like Tom Cruise said in Top Gun - "I have a need for speed".

I am 5'7" and there is a difference at a stop. The backrest does move up like the 400. I have the back all the way back now that I am comfortable on it and my feet aren't completely flat on the ground. But, when the back was up, I could.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
MaryVande said:
"I have a need for speed".
I like that! A good line for a Burgman 650 song...

MaryVande said:
I am 5'7" and there is a difference at a stop. The backrest does move up like the 400. I have the back all the way back now that I am comfortable on it and my feet aren't completely flat on the ground. But, when the back was up, I could.
Wouldn't an optional lower seat for the 650 be great? I think it would make the big scoot an option for a lot more people.

·
Registered
969 Posts
MaryVande said:
Bryna, The differences that I see between the 400 and the 650 are the ride and excelleration.
Heh. Not one to pick nits Mary, but I think that's spelled 'exhilaration' :wink: :shock: :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
wasions said:
MaryVande said:
Bryna, The differences that I see between the 400 and the 650 are the ride and excelleration.
Heh. Not one to pick nits Mary, but I think that's spelled 'exhilaration' :wink: :shock: :D
................or even acceleration! :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Sails said:
I figure that if I took the 650 off the side of mine I might be able to pay to it in a couple of weeks!
Hey Sails, that "BURGMAN 650" comes off real easy. I took mine off last week and now I really get some questions. One Harley rider asked me yesterday, "Whats that? BMW?" (I also took the "SUZUKI" sticker off the rear). This could be fun. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts