Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine told me that MapQuest now supports sending a route directly to a Garmin device. This is somewhat exciting for me as I have spent many hours converting Google routes to .GPX files, downloading, reviewing, correcting, etc. I am often ride captain of my scooter group and informal groups as well and having the route on my Garmin is invaluable to me. Google has a link to Garmin as well, but it only sends a single destination, a POI, point of interest.

So I created a test route and one I'm running on Sunday. Both had mutiple turns, waypoints, etc. And surely Mapquest does now have a very nice interface to the Garmin, under the "Send To" arrow. It lists several choices, e-mail, facebook, etc, but those are just the route link. It also had a choice to send it to the "Car" via On-Star & Sync. Last, but not least, was the Garmin option. I sent it with both options of "Route" and "Waypoints".

Disappointinging the Waypoint option didn't even register on the device and even more disappointing, the Route option only send the begining and and ending points, it left the route up to the Garmin, which was as straight line as possible of course. I double checked the .gpx files and squarely there were only the two points in the file; no waypoints in between.

Anyone have any luck with this feature? Is there something I'm missing?

I'm not a big Mapquest fan (too many ads and they only bring up their advertisers in the search engine), but I'd deal with that if I could just download routes, without having to deal with a convertion program.

Also, in my research on board for this, Alexrider, mentioned a route converter he uses. I tried the link, but all the downloads were just web browsers. The route conversion stuff was in German, perhaps Swedish as well. If anyone has a better link, I'd appreciate it.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/12-general-discussion/43045-gps-another-distraction-invaluable-6.html

Oh, if it makes a difference, I use old reliable, a Garmin Nuvi 1450.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Try using Garmin Base Camp. Works for me.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1 - 4 of 4 Posts