Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2006 Burgman 650. I've been told by some people that the correct way to switch from automatic to manual is with the scooter in full stop; while others have told me you can switch between them as you ride. I have checked the user manual, but I haven't found anything about the correct way to do it. I would appreciate your feedback.

·
Premium Member
9,870 Posts
I just bought a used 2006 Burgman 650. I've been told by some people that the correct way to switch from automatic to manual is with the scooter in full stop; while others have told me you can switch between them as you ride. I have checked the user manual, but I haven't found anything about the correct way to do it. I would appreciate your feedback.
You can switch back and forth, between modes, at any speed, throttle opening, brake use, etc. The computer won’t let anything untoward happen.

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
As WS said, you can switch from Auto to Manual to Auto at any speed. I would not do it at FULL throttle as the Computer may pick a lower gear than what you want.

The POWER button is good for hills. The 650 will accelerate fast in Power mode up till 80 Km/h and then its best to switch out of Power mode.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I can confirm everything said above because I used to do it frequently. Too frequently, in fact. I destroyed the CVT with only 33K miles on it from shifting too aggressively on curves to give me better control and help keep up with the motorcycling demons with whom I ride.

My advice: Don't do it. Or, at least not any more than you absolutely need to. I am now far more shifting-restrained on the low-mileage 2009 I recently acquired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts