Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Didn't know the SW had a belt-slip light. What does Honda say is the purpose? To let you know to back off or maybe belt is hard and time to replace?

·
Registered
648 Posts
The purpose is to remind owner to get belt changed at 16000 miles / 24000 kms. No electrickery in the CVT case.
Just like our oil service indicator light on B400...... JMHO..:)

(Did I get that last bit right?);)

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The purpose is to remind owner to get belt changed at 16000 miles / 24000 kms. No electrickery in the CVT case.
Just like our oil service indicator light on B400...... JMHO..:)

(Did I get that last bit right?);)
Well is general knowledge and lot's of post over at https://www.silverwing600.com/ .That The "V" light can also be triggered by "perceived" (or actual) belt slip, i.e. when the ECU/Meter Panel "sees" the RPMs are higher than what they "should" be for a given rear wheel speed. If you install too light rollers/sliders and accelerate aggressively on a SW600 you can also trigger "V" light. I only have aprox. 12.5k on mine, so no light yet, no worries as my belt is 1k old.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Sorry, but besides installing several Hit Clutch for other people, never had my own, they were installed with the stock settings and usually a stronger contra spring, etc., never heard really bad things about the ones I put in, but they do feel different, can squeal and really like aggressive takeoffs, but the same is true for any clutch, the best technique is to blip throttle and lock clutch and roll throttle back. Now I know that they grab/lock up earlier and can overpower a weak oem torque spring, whats your rpm doing when you feel this hop. :unsure:

Kinda wish the B400 had a "V" belt light like the SW600 it will come on when belt slips (y)
I'll have to pay more attention to the tach when it happens. I noticed though with the Dr. Pulley 19 gram sliders installed the bike seems to engage at a higher rpm then before.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'll have to pay more attention to the tach when it happens. I noticed though with the Dr. Pulley 19 gram sliders installed the bike seems to engage at a higher rpm then before.
If you mean clutch is engaging at higher rpm ?? should not be the case with 19gr DPS, do your road test, pay attention to clutch in/out rpm and minimun speed you can drive with clutch engaged.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
He had the Tech Pulley flying sliders (that may not be the exact name, but similar) before this, so different from comparing to stock. Uncle...did you change anything in the DP clutch (eg, springs) when you made the last changes?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
He had the Tech Pulley flying sliders (that may not be the exact name, but similar) before this, so different from comparing to stock. Uncle...did you change anything in the DP clutch (eg, springs) when you made the last changes?
No. Just replaced the sliders and the dampers on the movable drive plate and regreased the clutch.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We need actual numbers to see, but in my little use/testing of a B400 witch Hit cluth, I did not feel any difference in general from OEM clutch, it did have a lower in/out clutch rpm, IOW* easier to drive slower. Maybe take a look make sure grease is not in belt or clutch shoes, etc, BTDT* Normally you would have to change weights over 10 percent to see a real clutcth in/out rpms.

A little scooter trivia, in some markets were scooters will operate in mostly stop and go heavy traffic, same model will have heavier stock/oem weights, opens variator faster, turns rear pulley faster, clutch in faster, easier to drive slower, etc.
I know guys with 32gr on their SW600(oem 28gr), makes them easier to drive around campground, neighborhood, etc.

*In Othe Words * Been There Done That

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I know guys with 32gr on their SW600(oem 28gr), makes them easier to drive around campground, neighborhood, etc.
What a terrible waste of CCs. I would trade even for my SYM200 - lighter and more nimble....much better suited for being hauled and running around campgrounds. 😁

·
Registered
631 Posts
in some markets were scooters will operate in mostly stop and go heavy traffic, same model will have heavier stock/oem weights, opens variator faster, turns rear pulley faster, clutch in faster, easier to drive slower, etc.
That seems strange to me. What you describe is , having the CVT “shift “ out of low range, before you are even moving. You are effectively loosing part of your CVT’s transmission ratio range. Like loosing a manual 1st gear, and starting off engaging your clutch in second “gear “ every time.
Not a setup I’d want.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What a terrible waste of CCs. I would trade even for my SYM200 - lighter and more nimble....much better suited for being hauled and running around campgrounds. 😁
I agree 100% percent, but you don't get the same accommodations or quality of a SW600 on a SYM200, the SW600 will still perform better and reach higher highway speeds, just less acceleration, besides rollers are lot cheaper !!

That seems strange to me. What you describe is , having the CVT “shift “ out of low range, before you are even moving. You are effectively loosing part of your CVT’s transmission ratio range. Like loosing a manual 1st gear, and starting off engaging your clutch in second “gear “ every time.
Not a setup I’d want.
Yes, not really and issue when you have big displacement/hp/torque, wide powerband. Big difference you don't control the clutch, just the gas, your scooter clutch will always engage at designed "Clutch rpms" , but since your reference is crankshaft rpms, it would appear lower, your clutch won't stall, bog down or slip like a car pedal clutch.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I agree 100% percent, but you don't get the same accommodations or quality of a SW600 on a SYM200, the SW600 will still perform better and reach higher highway speeds, just less acceleration, besides rollers are lot cheaper!
Yep, just being facetious (unless someone wants to trade, then I'm serious.) The Silverwing was on my short list with the B400 back when I was looking. But the SW is very scarce around here, and when you do find one, by the price you realize the owner is quite proud of it.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yep, just being facetious (unless someone wants to trade, then I'm serious.) The Silverwing was on my short list with the B400 back when I was looking. But the SW is very scarce around here, and when you do find one, by the price you realize the owner is quite proud of it.
I was actually looking for both the SW600 for me and B400 for the wife, it took about 2yrs to find the rignt SW(2012) and 2.5yrs for the B400(2014), private sellers only way to go IMO, they are both very capable rides, yes SW is more $$ to buy, but oem parts are way cheaper and still available for in the US. In any case they are both conventional/simple cvt's, preventive maintenance is key, every oil change/yearly is cvt clean/inspect time for me.

Reactions: G-Dub

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just a quick update, aprox. 250 miles on the spring, been driving bike "more normal" commuting in my light traffic country setting, scooter drives great, I see my MPG trending up into 56-58, where it was 54-56, will do 5-6 tanks and average it out, WKYP.

Reactions: JRoss
21 - 34 of 34 Posts