Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !

My nice 2004 blue Burgman 400 now have 3100 km on the odometer . It is running better and better , and I like it very much .

However , as discussed earlier in " Burgman 400 jerking " , I still have some problem with it's low speed drivetrain behavior , and I'm now convinced it is at least in part due to the belt variator .

Knowing that the Italian manufacturer Malossi has a replacement variator for the Burgman 400 , I'm looking at it .

So , I would like to know if somebody tried one on his or her Burgman 400 2003 or 2004 , and what kind of improvement was seen ?

Thank you and have nice rides !

·
Registered
605 Posts
OK then,

There was a past posting by Misterglib regarding the Malossi variator. Go to the past postings and read his experiences. From what I remember, the malossi variator will change the profile of the clutch engagment and give you a bit more get up and go. In other words, it will rev higher at the lower speeds to place more horsepower closer to your startup speed. They do this by changing the variator weights and slope of the variator.

Thats my take on it. Would I replace the stock with the Malossi? No because I like the way my 400 engages. It quiet and it is smooth and I bet your gas mileage will drop as a result of installing a Malossi unit. Thats my take on it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Henri

I have an old 400 and I have malossified it.

This modification changes the whole performance curve of the bike. No more at the top end but much more rapid acceleration from 0-60mph. If you can imagine the power curve just shifted left. Yes there is a fuel consumption penalty if you use this performance but otherwise it will be fairly small. It is a superb modification if you want more get up and go.

However consider this carefully, the effect on your warranty - and the jerkiness you have now is not a feature but is most likely a defect your dealer should investigate.

Regards

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey Norman that is very useful information, thanks. I am curious as to what, if any, other performance mods you have done such as exhaust, and if you think they were worthwhile or not.

Peace.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Bleeder

Just a bit more about Malossi.

Here is a link to a UK site:

http://www.taffspeed.co.uk/technic/burgman.htm

This illustrates what I am taking about.

The guy who used to run this outfit was an acknowledged expert in the field and used to race scooters. Sadly he died last month. He reckoned as it says on the website there was little marginal advantage in further tuning - apart form the Malossi.

So, in a rather long winded answer to your very simple question - No I haven't!! :wink:

Ride it like you stole it - you can with a malossified burger!! :D
Regards

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks, Norman. Yes, I heard about Terry Frankland. Terrible news, just awful. On the other hand, he obviously effected the lives of many in a very positive manner, hence the public outcry after his passing. How many of us can say the same about ourselves?

Peace.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Bleeder

Where are you based?

NormanB

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to Timothy MA and Norman B .

I already saw the " taffspeed " site and think the Malossi could improve my Burgman behavior where I'm unsatisfied with it .

But I wanted to ear from somebody living with it , and , Norman , you answered to my question .

These machines runs well in original variator setting , but as we all know they dislike riding at low speed . With now over 3000 km ( nearly 2000 miles ) on my Burgman , I now had time to analyse it's behavior ( I'm an industrial mechanical technician ).

At very low engine RPM I sometimes see engine mist , but most of the time it runs smoothly and regularly , even at low speed . The feeling I still have about the light drivetrain jerking is that it comes from the belt variator system , this one beeing anable to adopt a fixed position under too light load , so it lightly occillate between upshift and downshift in a cyclic manner . Don't forget it's a very light feeling , but just enough to annoy me .

Another fact is that asking power at low speed often create the feeling of excessive engine logging , what for sure isn't a good thing for engine life .

At low speed , the variator also have too much tendancy to upshift and too much reluctancy too dowshift when you ask power . As you know , this tendancy disappear over 60 km/h ( 40 mph ) and from this point the engine RPM go up freely when you ask for power .

As the the Malossi variator is designed to correct the low speed " sleepiness " of the AN 400 , I could hope it would improve my Burgman in the way I want , and at a much lower cost than trading the machine .

The result of using the Malossi kit on fuel consumption is not really answered , but as I'm already doing easily from 75 to 80 miles per Imp gallon , probably it's not a significant question . Yes , I currently average 78 mpg ( 3,6 L/100 km ) . Regularly 280 km with 10 liters . This bike is a marvel ... I suppose that you , Timothy , who have an injected Burgman like me , find similar numbers too .

The concern you have Norman about Malossi effect on Suzuki warranty doesn't really bother me , as I'm not really far from the end of this warranty . In fact , I probably could not have a Malossi here before september , and here in western Québec the riding season generally end in October and will begin next May , after the end of my warranty . I'm more concerned about future engine life ( after the warranty ) , and don't like the knocking engine sound I sometimes ear while asking for power at low speed .

OK men , have a nice summer while riding your Burgys ! I'm myself off from work from next Tuesday for three weeks , and hope will add at least another 1000 or 1500 km on my 400 !

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Henri

I am not sure we are at one with this? :oops:

Your symptoms sound a bit weird and this jerkiness at low speed (do you mean sort of 5-10mph?) seems like a defect to me. Mine both pre and post Malossi was smooth and stable with no jerkiness.

The difference with the Malossi is acceleration/response not smoothness per se.

Regards

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Precisions :

What I name jerkiness seems to be a very light but cyclic change betweeen very light pull and very light slow down . The mechanic at my dealership tried the bike and wasn't able to notice it , maybe I'm too sensitive to mechanical behaviors . Maybe the word " jerkiness " is not the appropriate word ( I'm not normally english speaking ) to descript the thing .

It happens everywhere under 60 km/h , as long as there is not a significant load on the drivetrain . As long as there is a light load ( soft surface , light acceleration or hill ) and engine RPM increases a little , everything smooth out even at speeds as low as 15 km/h . Although nothing is less sure , it is not impossible that the Multivar kit improves this if it ever allows the engine to rev more freely at low speed .

Anyway , I have nothing to loose , as I will at least beneficiate from the improvements the Mutivar is designed for !

Hi !

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I think Henri has great feeling in his butt . I think like he said earlier is the bike automatically cycling between the preset gear ratios. The machine cant decide at slow speeds and little load where it should be. This is just my interpretation. Jerking is not the word he was looking for but I fail to find the correct term to use for what he feels.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
OK Henri

I bow to your superior butt sensitivity. :wink:

I do accept what you say and how you find it and a feeling is difficult to translate into words anyway.

I will be very interested to hear of your experience once your machine is malossified. Please let me know.

Regards

NormanB

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Henri, if you install the Mallossi kit yourself, please take good notes, and hopefully pictures, to share with the rest of us. I too am interested in the kit but will wait till my warranty expires next spring.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Henri A,

My 250 does the same ...

But first 1,000klms I had a very bad vibration coming up through the scooter from the clutch (on rear wheel) I was realy bad just as the clutch was at full locked up stage (4,000-4,500rpm)

I checked the clutch out (visually) at first service when I drained the oil all looked ok.

Due to holidays dealer has been closing to early for me to get there.

But to my suprise I took my daughter (16) to town to do what they do (shop)
The next day off to work what ? no vibration, could it be the extra load helped seat the belt in or that I still had shock on max. tention.
So on the way home I stopped and rest shock back to 3 (1-> 7 setting), of I go still almost all gone,each day it gets better allmost completely gone now.
But is does return ... without the load and max tention on rear ... must just be the nature of the beast ...

Greg ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Malossi follow-up?

I've just read this thread from last year and am curious about whether the Malossi solved the problem. I just bought a 400 last week and have been troubled by the same thing--it's very noticeable in contrast to riding my old Helix 250. I'd be interested in hearing a follow-up...

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you can keep the rpm's at or around 3000 you will not have a problem with the skipping feeling, this is the point that the clutch kicks in. If you are around 2500 to 3000, it will go in and out, which causes your problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Variator Comparisons?

I'm glad this topic came up again this year...as I, too, am thinking about adding a 'VARIATOR'. I have read the threads about the MALOSSI, and have heard about a newer version called a BETTELLA VARIMAX Variator. Some have suggested it has superior performance compared to the Malossi. But, since it might be a newer company...does anybody have an opinion or experience with the two companies' products to give us a comparison?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Malossi variator on my Burgman 400 ?

I now have more than 3000 km (± 2000 miles) riding with the Malossi variator installed on my 400.

As I said to some peoples, it does not produce a perfect drivetrain behavior at low speed, but it significally improves it.

Jerking : Previously happened at every speeds below 60 km/h ( 40 mph ). Engine still react to poor gas/air mixture, but jerkiness now persist only below 40 km/h and disappear as long as a light load is applied, like a 40 kg ( 90 lbs) passenger.

Gas mileage : Equal or better than before, wich means between 3,5 to 3,8 L/100km ( 75 to 81 miles per Imp.gal. , 62 to 68 miles per U.S. gal. ). Yes I know, these machines are incredible for gas mileage !

Engine revolutions : More free revving at any speed, but especially between 30 and 60 km/h, where it previously topped at 4200 RPM.
A little higher than before at highway speed, at now about 6000 RPM at 100 km/h ( 62 mph ). Engine seems to run smooter under load, with much less low RPM knocking sound.

Conclusion : I like my Burgman more than before with the Malossi Multivar variator. Enough to buy it again ? As the Malossi kit is very expensive in Canada, I don't know.

Would I install back the original variator now that I tried the Malossi one ? Probably no ...

Have nice rides !

1 - 20 of 48 Posts