Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my used 03 650 the previous owner included two liters of Malaguti "4 stroke Class Advanced Performance Synthetic 4T Motor Oil" The bottle is labeled API SL "A very advanced, part-synthetic lubricant for the latest genertion of 4 stroke scooter engines air or water cooled."
(made in England) No viscosity listed on the container.
I haven't been able to find this brand of oil in my area which leaves me .6 liters short. Is it safe to mix this oil with another synthetic like Mobil 1? Or should I just discard these two unopened liters and invest in some Mobil 1?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I think I'd go with new oil myself. Particularly since it doesn't list viscosity. I'm pretty fussy with that. Some folks like to pinch pennies with oil, but when you divide the cost by the 3500 miles between changes, it just isn't that expensive to run something you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Like Paul said with no viscosity listed you really don't know what you have in the way of protection.
I would mix it with gas and pour it on some grass I wanted to kill.
Or maybe save it for the lawn mower. :lol:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Could some of you more experienced 650 owners give us new guys
some engine oil recommendations (also trans. and final drive oils).
Should we go with synthetic oil, Mobile 1 etc...?
I lean towards Valvoline and Castrol for my cars, but don't know if they
are apropriate for moto/scoot applications.
At the 600m service, my local Suzuki used Motul 3000 10W40 $2.99/qt.
I have no problem spending $$$ on oil as it's a lot less expensive than
metal (read engine parts). :wink:
Thanks,
GinDrinker
:D

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
GinDrinker,
I just swithed over to mobil 1 in the engin and Trans. and run full synthetic in the final drive. I bike seems a lot happier in the cooler weather, it dosen't seem to work as hard, and the milage seems to be better.

If you go to the search button and type in -oil- and look under the 650 forum, you will find 100 threads pertaining to the different types and change intervils.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
GinDrinker said:
Could some of you more experienced 650 owners give us new guys
some engine oil recommendations (also trans. and final drive oils).
Should we go with synthetic oil, Mobile 1 etc...?
I lean towards Valvoline and Castrol for my cars, but don't know if they
are apropriate for moto/scoot applications.
At the 600m service, my local Suzuki used Motul 3000 10W40 $2.99/qt.
I have no problem spending $$$ on oil as it's a lot less expensive than
metal (read engine parts). :wink:
Thanks,
GinDrinker
:D
It's dangerous to raise the oil question in a motorcycle or scooter forum. Everbody has a different take on the issue. It's like dropping a match in a dry forest - you could start one of those "dreaded oil threads". :roll:

My advice is to make sure that whatever oil you use complies with or exceeds the specifications in your owner's manual. That will still leave you with a great many choices though. I would stick with a product that is made for motorcycles, but there are folks who will argue that isn't necessary.

I switched to full synthetic at about 5,000 miles. You do not want to use full synthetic until the scooter is fully broken in. I use Silkolene synthetic for engine, transmission, and rear drive (they make a 90 wt for the rear drive). I use it in my V-Strom too. For my prior motorcycle, a Kawasaki Concours, I used Golden Spectro synthetic blend for 60,000 miles. Both products are made specifically for motorcycles. You could have problems with the clutch if you use an automotive oil with certain friction modifiers added. Since many motorcycles have "wet" clutches, you don't have that concern with the motorcycle products. Even though the Burgman 650 is automatic, it does have a wet clutch between the engine and transmission.

Buy a good quality oil and change it on schedule (3500 miles). With a synthetic, you can overrun the 3500 mile interval if you are on a trip or something without worrying too much about it, but I still try to stick with 3500 mile oil changes. Oil gets contaminated regardless of what it is composed of.

That's what I do. I'm comfortable with it. I can't say that anyone else is wrong that does differently - as long as they meet the specs given in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Paul, you referred to opening a thread on oil as dangerous: I don't think so with the nice group of folks we have on this forum. I like to hear what others think about oil and the whys and wherefors. Personally I use Amsoil Motorcycle oil because it has additional zinc and phosphorus needed by bikes. Car oil has less of this. Another alternative is a good brand of oil made for deisel motors (as well as cars) which has these chemicals added. Otherwise, stick with an oil formulated specifically for motorcycles. Thats my take. Probably can't go wrong with any oil that is of the correct weight...10-40W for most scoots. If anyone wants to read more about oils heres a site with a lot of info:http://themotoroilsite.com/forums/

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
ted clement said:
Paul, you referred to opening a thread on oil as dangerous: I don't think so with the nice group of folks we have on this forum.
That was a bit tongue-in-cheek. :wink:

I have weathered some pretty awful oil threads on other motorcycle forums. People have very diverse views - and often an almost religious zeal about their viewpoints. This is compounded by a lack of really useful information from the product manufacturers. They are, in fact, often referred to by forum veterans as "dreaded oil threads".

I agree, that there is a better chance of having a reasonable discussion of the topic on this forum than on many others.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
"People have very diverse views - and often an almost religious zeal about their viewpoints"

Paul, you're right about that, be it oil, or bikes, or whatever. As I get older, I find that its not worth getting all riled up about. Maybe we should all be born old, then get younger each year!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
ted clement said:
Maybe we should all be born old, then get younger each year!
My father and grandfather loved to mutter: "Too soon old, too late smart". Being a young kid (and very smart in my own opinion), I sure didn't get it. I'm beginning to understand now though....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Guys,

This is a hot button topic but please use the grade of oil recommended in your owners manual. Mobil 1 may not meet certain motorcycle requirements where Mobil MX4T does. Things just changed recently if the manual says to use grades SF, SG the new Mobil 1 does not meet that spec. Mobil MX4T meets Jaso MA spec. Read the manual.

Thanx
Russ

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Re: erl

skootertrash said:
from experience,any oil is better than no oil.
And how many vehicles did you run without oil to finally realize this :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts

skootertrash said:
from experience,any oil is better than no oil.
Your right! :D I have been using Wal*Mart and Kmart brand oil for years and in some of my toys that were worth as much as $500K.

When it came time to sell them, the type of oil I used made no difference in the price I got. :lol: I too use to waste money on the myth of higher price means better oil performance, then two of my relatives became engineers in an oil company and brought me up to speed. :shock:

Unless you race for a living, the cheap "quality" stuff will work just fine. :wink:

As far as fuel economy goes, I got 55 MPG on yesterdays ride with Roger, my best has been 56 MPG. If expensive oils will make you get better MPG, please let me know how much better. :eek:

Just MHO... :roll:

·
Registered
466 Posts
cptdenny,

Sorry, but synthetic oil is better than petroleum based oil in most all performance areas. The only exception that I know of is the superior heat resistance of castor oils for 2 strokes. That's not to say petroleum oils are not adequate but synthetics are superior.

Thanx
Russ

P.S. I knew I could get an oil thread going!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts

cptdenny said:
[snip]
As far as fuel economy goes, I got 55 MPG on yesterdays ride with Roger, my best has been 56 MPG. [snip]
I reckon you guys must ride like ***** cats how do you eek out that fuel? :roll:

·
Registered
100 Posts
erl

way back when i rode harleys, i would set off for a weekend ride and usually wound up using 2-2.5 qts in 1000 miles or so and since this was before there were h-d dealers on every block,1 would dump in plain old automotive oil 40 wt.if i could find it but 30 would do. i kinda had a faint ideer of what happens when you run completely out of oil.things tend to go BOOM!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Russ Schaeffer said:
synthetic oil is better than petroleum based oil in most all performance areas.
Yes and a nuke is greater than a grenade, meaning that both are over kills for street use. :roll:

The early bird may get the worm but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese. :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts

NormanB said:
cptdenny said:
[snip]
As far as fuel economy goes, I got 55 MPG on yesterdays ride with Roger, my best has been 56 MPG. [snip]
I reckon you guys must ride like ***** cats how do you eek out that fuel? :roll:
:roll:

We rode at an average speed of 50 MPH, mostly non stop along the beach fronts. No jack-rabbit starts and smooth acceleration. :D When your in a hurricane area under going restoration you have no idea which fuel station may be open or condemned along the way. There was no need to rush and see who would run out of fuel first. :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Synth Oil + more

I'm both new to Burgman ownership and this form.

I just purchased a sexy - used Silver 2oo3 AN650 I call Miss Burgie less than 2 weeks ago. This coming Wednesday I am having my local Suzuki dealer perform the 6oo mile service on her even the she has 1,250 miles on her. My thoughts are that I have no idea - confirmation that the 6oo mile service was performed or not.

Three Quick Qs for you fatherly/experienced old timer Burgman owners please.

A. I don't think I can hurt anything on my lovely little lady Miss Burgie (but my wallet) by performing the 6oo mile service twice can I?

B. Like to switch to synthetic oil now, is my Burgie broken in at 1,250 miles? Tiz thia a good idea now or not?

C. Any other tidbits of wisdom???????

Thanks, Glennnnnnnnnnnn

1 - 20 of 61 Posts