Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally excepted that my motorcycle days are over. This week I took out some of my old bikes and enjoyed the nice weather. Then I spent the next three days in bed with back issues. I forgot just how much other bikes vibrate compared to my Burgman 400. During the ride with a 1993 Harley Davidson Road king a piece of trim actually fell off due to the excessive vibrations. I laughed out loud at the image of losing parts along the route. I road almost all of my bikes this weekend and the only one that felt smooth enough was a 1980 Suzuki GS850G. I have 3 garages stuffed with vintage motorcycles. When I liked a bike I use to buy all available versions of it ie. CB750, CB900, CB1000 and so on. These bikes have sat for over ten years. Some I had drained all fluids others not so much. Some of these bikes are really rare like my 1942 Harley Davidson police bike.
I am looking for the best place to sell these bikes any ideas on where I should go ?

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
Well, you could try a "Lot" sell at like Barrett Jackson type auction. Or sell off one bike at a time. On the "Lot" type auction, you would group each type bikes into a lot and let them bid on the 1 to 10 bikes in that lot number. It can work if you set a low enough reserve for the lot. Sometimes a lot's bid will not go high enough for the reserve and then the bidder will contact you thru the auction house and make a bid on 1 or 2 bikes. If you do this, WARNING, never deal outside of the auction house's control for a set amount of time set forth in their contract. You could get :violent1:

Selling one at a time can take a long time. Taking 10,000 calls from low bidders, taking time to show each one, letting them ride the bike or not..... will make your head :compress:I would not want to try selling more than 2 bikes at a time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It would be nice to see a list of what bikes you have and what kind of price you are asking. I'm sure some of the members on here would be interested.

I am:p

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
you may want to take a look at the new CB500X, very neutral riding position if you still crave riding a regular motorcycle, great package.

Scoots are great for those with physical limitations, hard to beat them in the comfort department.

all the best...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a reputable dealer who specializes in vintage bikes who won't rob me blind and will pay cash. I will put together a list.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a reputable dealer who specializes in vintage bikes who won't rob me blind and will pay cash. I will put together a list.
Give Randy Baxter a call at Baxter Cycle in Marne, IA. He specializes in vintage bikes, although he kinda leans towards Brit bikes. I haven't dealt with him for some years now, so I'll bet he's moved into vintage Jap bikes as well.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
not sure if this is of any use or relevance, but you may find a contact there to help you.

WHAT: 2nd Annual Vintage Motorcycle Festival
WHEN: August 24-25, 2013 (Show Saturday; Ride Sunday)
WHERE: LeMay – America’s Car Museum, 2702 East D Street, Tacoma, WA 98421

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
See, I'd take that GS850 off ya for sure. But the wife would say no. Not that I listen well. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fasstwalker,

I will be visiting a friend in Warrenville over the weekend, maybe I need to send him over as his bike is headed for the Harley graveyard, so he needs a bike. My angle would be to buy you a beer and hear your stories as I am sure you have a few. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds fun but this weekend is Bottopia a three day music festival that my buddies and I go to. It is kinda like a Dead party check out their music at mr. Blotto.
Another time would be great let me know if you make it up again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I feel the same way about my Burgman. After riding the scooter, I have sold off my older motorcycles, and finally my touring bike. I can't believe I'm happy right now with only one bike, but it's a great feeling not having all those bikes to maintain, tune, charge, insure. Some of my friends have done the same thing, bought a maxi scooter, then starting to ride it more and more, then deciding they don't need all those other bikes that are collecting dust.

You can only ride one at a time.....

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I feel the same way about my Burgman. After riding the scooter, I have sold off my older motorcycles, and finally my touring bike. I can't believe I'm happy right now with only one bike, but it's a great feeling not having all those bikes to maintain, tune, charge, insure. Some of my friends have done the same thing, bought a maxi scooter, then starting to ride it more and more, then deciding they don't need all those other bikes that are collecting dust.

You can only ride one at a time.....
I'm with you. I'm probably going to sell my remaining BMW since I got my 650. I felt my 400 was a good "in addition" to ride but the 650 seems to be a good "instead of" ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts