Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Making the bike fit

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  model28a 
#1 ·
OK. Bought the 2012 650 Exec with 700 miles on it in August or September. Of course I had to make it fit me, so I bought only stuff that I could pull off and sell if I decided to get rid of the bike soon. It now looks like it may work out, so the next step is to add all the stuff Suzuki should have before I ride the wheels off it.

After two neck surgeries and one back surgery, I had to take the harshness out of the ride. I added a Cary Burgman seat, barbacks, Progressive shocks with 65/100 springs and went darkside. The Progressives seem to be breaking in a bit after about 400 miles. Test ride yesterday with 32 pounds rear seemed pretty good.

So I guess it’s time to personalize the machine, which is a lot of the fun for me. The improved rear suspension magnifies the deficiencies in the front, so I’ll do something about that. The windscreen is barely adequate IMO, but I’ll get a Clearview or Givi just for better hand protection. A 47 Liter top case should be enough. Light bars on the rear and some kind of hi-vis driving lights are needed. I may try a cheapie Wal Mart special set to see if they work out. I don’t use heated gear or handgrips so their wattage pull should be acceptable. I don’t use Bluetooth or any audio distractions while riding. I’ll hard wire the GPS and add a few other odds and ends.

That should about do it. Then I’ll have to decide between Peggy’s Cove or Big Sur. With a detour through the Dragon on the way, of course.

See less See more
#2 ·
...Then I’ll have to decide between Peggy’s Cove or Big Sur. With a detour through the Dragon on the way, of course.
I would think that Big Sur would be nicer this time of year.
Save the trip to Peggy's Cove for next July, & have a visit
with Mike (sailingskier)...don't think he gets many visitors.

#5 ·
Only 5 months of riding a year? I thot it was bad that I couldn't ride regularly year around. Due to ice during the winter months I may only ride once a month during winter or maybe nothing 1 month. April to November the wheels, they keep a turnin'.

#4 ·
A 47 Liter top case should be enough
If you can swing it, consider the largest size, Givi 55L case. The 650 is so comfy that you're bound to stay out riding ALOT farther from home than you may think. THat extra space comes in HANDY when you want to carry stuff for the long haul.

#6 ·
Everyone sees things different. I ride year round but I prefer the summer months to the winter time. I left Ohio in 1972 and stayed here in Florida because I like the hot climate here. The only thing I like about the winter is it's a lot easier to remember to wear a jacket instead of a T-shirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.