Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is subject to personal preferences, but for me this is what it takes to make it rideable:

Seat - $150 to 400 depending on whether you get it done locally, by Cary, or say a Sargent at $400.

Suspension - Sonic springs or emulators in front and Progressive rear. Approximately $6-700

Windscreen - $150-200 depending on make. This also includes hand gaurds

Top case - $200 to 500 with mount depending on brand.

Total - $1100 to 1800.

I won't count the few odds and ends I would throw on. For me a lot of the fun is making the bike fit the person who is riding it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
For me that would be a $1,000 Corbin seat ($500 seat and two back rests @$250 each, maybe more for heated), not sure what in the suspension just yet, $150 Givi windscreen, and maybe some side cases.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
For me that would be a $1,000 Corbin seat ($500 seat and two back rests @$250 each, maybe more for heated), not sure what in the suspension just yet, $150 Givi windscreen, and maybe some side cases.
The guy who bought my Silverwing yesterday drove up with a Valkyrie with a Corbin seat . I felt for the cushion on the seat and basically there was NONE ! I asked him how he liked it and remarked at how hard it was , he said he loved it and it was OK because he was a hard arse . :D

TheReaper!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many people like Corbins. They're too hard for me. Others complain that they are too wide and make it hard to flat foot some motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It's not really whether it's hard or soft, it's how it fits you. If someone has actually ridden on one of them I might consider their thoughts but just a quick feel "oh my gawd it's so hard" :D isn't a honest evaluation.

I feel the stock seat is firm but with localized very little support that is painful over distance and the cover grippy that pinches my thighs.

I wonder how many people complain about BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Porsche, and Lamborghini seats because they are all firm.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've had two Corbin saddles. One was okay, but took a year to break in, the other was too hard from day one to day done. I hated that seat. The burg seat was better when I just added a foam pad stuffed in a pillow case. Still use it on the 400

But for the 650, The Airhawk seat pad was great from the first sitting. No problem doing all day rides. Only $75.

A must have for me now is a backrest or butt bumper riser. Boy when I think of the tens of thousands of miles I rode without one, still makes my back ache. Not anymore.

With my height, the stock screens are fine. Suspension is acceptable with the Airhawk.

Once you get them set up, these bikes are some of the most comfortable on the road I suspect, save a GW.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It's not really whether it's hard or soft, it's how it fits you. If someone has actually ridden on one of them I might consider their thoughts but just a quick feel "oh my gawd it's so hard" :D isn't a honest evaluation.

I feel the stock seat is firm but with localized very little support that is painful over distance and the cover grippy that pinches my thighs.

I wonder how many people complain about BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Porsche, and Lamborghini seats because they are all firm.
I've never ridden on a Corbin or a RDL so I have no opinion formed on either , other than to say this guy's Corbin felt like a seat with no padding at all . That said I understand very well that shape matters , because spreading your weight out is paramount for comfort . I hear about 99% good on the RDL , on the Corbin it seams riders either swear by them or swear at them . I wouldn't shell out a dime on either unless I test road one , I'm tired of shelling out money for things that don't work for me . Right now I've got a air-hawk and a utopia on the burg and it's OK for now .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've had two Corbin saddles. One was okay, but took a year to break in, the other was too hard from day one to day done. I hated that seat. The burg seat was better when I just added a foam pad stuffed in a pillow case. Still use it on the 400

But for the 650, The Airhawk seat pad was great from the first sitting. No problem doing all day rides. Only $75.

A must have for me now is a backrest or butt bumper riser. Boy when I think of the tens of thousands of miles I rode without one, still makes my back ache. Not anymore.

With my height, the stock screens are fine. Suspension is acceptable with the Airhawk.

Once you get them set up, these bikes are some of the most comfortable on the road I suspect, save a GW.
I like the air-hawk too and I highly recommend the utopia back rest . I tried using the butt rest for a back rest and for me it was worthless , actually I hated it . A lot of riders shy away from the utopia due to the price , but in my opinion they are being penny wise and pound foolish . The utopia is very well made and IMO a bargain for $200.00 , and the people at utopia are great to work with , actually the BEST people to work with . I don't think I've ever heard any one say anything negative about a utopia back rest or the company . I give both 5 stars .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I like the air-hawk too and I highly recommend the utopia back rest . I tried using the butt rest for a back rest and for me it was worthless , actually I hated it . A lot of riders shy away from the utopia due to the price , but in my opinion they are being penny wise and pound foolish . The utopia is very well made and IMO a bargain for $200.00 , and the people at utopia are great to work with , actually the BEST people to work with . I don't think I've ever heard any one say anything negative about a utopia back rest or the company . I give both 5 stars .

TheReaper!
I've got the butt bumper risers on both bikes and the k7+ 400s lends itself to that purpose better than the 650s. Its more concave and kinda hugs your back more than the 650 design. At least it does for me.

I'm perfectly happy with both. However a friend just bought a Swing with a Utopia installed and I had a brief chance to try it. It wasn't adjusted for me, but I can see where that is a fine addition to a bike. Seems very comfy. Glad you're happy with it. Maybe someday I'll look into it.

·
Administrator
20,112 Posts
While I have not ridden it much in the last 10 years or so and with 10 speeds shows how old it is but my Schwinn Sports Tourer has a leather Brooks B17 saddle with NO padding or springs. I rode from Auburn WA to San Francisco CA AND back in the summer of 1972. It is conformed (in the past) to MY butt and very comfortable. I have had people from the Brooks web page wanting to buy it from me to have it reconditioned for them. http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/saddles/touring+&+trekking/B17+Standard/

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
My comfort improvements on my 650 are a Corbin long seat with backrest to get my knees out of the dash and provide some back support, Genmar risers to rotate the bars back to compensate for the Corbin's rearward seating position, A Clearview windshield to get rid of the buffeting from the stock screen, and an Alaska Leathers sheepskin to keep the seat warmer in winter and cooler in summer. I find the Corbin seat to be very comfortable.

My comfort improvements on my 400S are a homemade riser for the buttstop to get a little more room for my legs and some back support, a Clearview windshield to replace the almost none existent stock sport windshield, and an Alaska Leather sheepskin to keep the seat warmer in winter and cooler in summer. The buttstop mod doesn't really get me enough leg room but it's good for 200 miles or so and that is about all I usually ride the 400 at one pop.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I have owned several BMW motorcycles and changed the seat on every one. Mostly Sargents. I don't think I know any Beemer rider who uses a stock seat, and most change windshields also.

FWIW, I've owned a couple Porsches and Ferrari 308 and 328. I didn't think any of their seats were too firm. In fact I think Porsche does a relatively poor job with its 911 seats, except for the sport option. Look at any with 75-80,000 miles and the driver's seat will likely be wrinkly and broken down unless the driver is a real lightweight. The seats in old Ferraris like the 3x8 series get hard, but that's because of the dye on the original Connely leather. When that dye is removed and replaced the seats are quite supple.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I bought my '03 Yamaha FZ1 in '05, it came with both the stock seat and a Corbin. I installed the Corbin, and put about 2,000 miles on it, then went back to the stocker, and sold the Corbin. Simply too hard and uncomfortable for my anatomy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
To make my 650 the way I wanted it I installed a Corbin with 2 backrests,Larmar lip, heated grips , a Pyle AM FM CD with 4 speakers & helmet speakers,Garmin GPS the suspension is stock.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

TheReaper!
My 650 had a Utopia on it when I bought it. I would have never spent that much for a backrest and it would have been my loss. Since I have experienced the Utopia for the last 8,000+ miles, I would buy one in a heartbeat. You have to consider the cost vs. the value. The Utopia is high in cost but it is still a good value.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had Corbin seats on my motorcycles in the past and have one now on my Piaggio MP3. All Corbin saddles are hard from day one. It's how they design their seats. Their foam is purposely stiff because it's suppose to mold to the shape of your butt in time. Unfortunately it's a hit and miss with these saddles. I've had three of them through the years two on motorcycles and one on my current MP3 and they have been very comfortable and supportive for those long rides. But my brother had one on his motorcycle and even after having it for 4 years I could never get comortable on it whenever I rode his bike. That **** saddle was hard as a rock.

To make my Burg my own, I've installed a clearview windshield, Kuryakyn ISO grips, Givi trunk, butt pad riser (purchased from one of the members) to raise the butt pad up to my lower back, & a powerlet outlet for my GPS. Now I need to get a new seat since I can't last more than an hour on the stock one, GenMar risers to bring the bars up and back a bit, and really need to change/upgrade the suspension. I'm a pretty aggresive rider and the Burgs suspension is just killing me on the curves and on washboard roads.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I have owned several BMW motorcycles and changed the seat on every one. Mostly Sargents. I don't think I know any Beemer rider who uses a stock seat, and most change windshields also.
Was referring to cars though.

FWIW, I've owned a couple Porsches and Ferrari 308 and 328. I didn't think any of their seats were too firm. The seats in old Ferraris like the 3x8 series get hard, but that's because of the dye on the original Connely leather. When that dye is removed and replaced the seats are quite supple.
I always thought it was pretty cheap of Ferrari (and others) using leathers that were surface dyed and hard compare to aniline dyed leathers that are supple. Those surface dyed seats looked like crap after they would crack the under color showed through.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had a Corbin seat on my Honda Pacific Coast for 18 of the 20 years I owned my Pacific Coast. Loved it but I have found that now my butt is kind of bony. Lost a lot of my padding back there as I have aged. A close friend of mine now owns the Pacific Coast and I have found that the seat isn't comfortable for me any more. So I marked Corbin off my list for the Burgman. I bought an Airhawk R and ride with it on the stock seat. Works good for me now. Wish I still found Corbin worked for me as I think they are pretty seats.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
770 Posts
I found an Airhawk fixed my saddle sores entirely. Bought a Bearcat, haven't had a chance to install it yet...hope to this weekend.

Other than a top case, I think that's my last mod.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts