Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two little stories from my ride yesterday. Each could have made my day so together--sooo coool!

1. Was passing through a neighborhood and I saw a little girl on a tricycle with her mom walking behind her. The little girl's eyes lit up when she saw the Burgie, so (as I've taken to doing) I waved to her. Her eyes got even bigger and she smiled like "Wow, that girl on the motorcycle just waved to ME!" Her mom smiled and waved too. :D

2. Was putting a couple of sodas in the Burgie "trunk" when an older couple walked by. (I'd held the door at Starbucks for the woman a few minutes earlier. I think it surprised her to find a "motorcycle jacket-wearing woman hold the door for her.) They stopped to look. "Ooh, you've got a secret compartment!" the man said. We laughed. They couldn't believe it was a scooter and said, "Boy, that looks like a lot of fun!" I assured them it is! :D

Anyone have similar "make your day" experiences? Please share!

Cheers,

Bryna

·
Registered
308 Posts
Couple dudes in a tricked out Celica yelled.."Get A real Bike"

I poured my iced Venti latte into thier window and just sat there.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
On my way home a car pulls over to the right on the shoulder and stops, I am about 1/4 mile behind him doing 45. I notice the traffic on the other side stat to thin and experience kicks in I cover the brakes with 3 fingers each hand
-sure enough he starts to make a "U" turn right in front of me
-Good brakes on the 400 I stopped Two Feet from his door--he had seen me after starting the turn and froze in my lane sideways --
His jaw drooped, he rolled down his window and for the next 2 minutes apologized everyway he could of, and by now we are holding up other traffic .. So what could I do. I said "no harm done " waved and road off..
As mad as I was the first look on his face somehow made me think .
I've done some pretty stupid things while driving my cage. :(

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
abm wrote
I poured my iced Venti latte into thier window and just sat there
You have to learn to control that temper, that was a waste of a good latté.
Finish it first then throw the empty cup :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
abm said:
Couple dudes in a tricked out Celica yelled.."Get A real Bike"

I poured my iced Venti latte into thier window and just sat there.
Do that in Houston and ya might get shot, seriously.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've shared this before - but for the new kids . . . 8)

Wife and I were leaving Wal-Mart and noticed a nice looking newer Indian (motorcycle - big cruiser) across the street, headed in the same direction. I sped up a little to get a look at the guy's bike, and he apparently felt threatened by the older couple on the scooter - so he nailed it. As he reached 90, he turned his head to the left to see how far behind the geriatrics were - and we were right there at his left shoulder - waving and pointing like lunatics. :D 'Course, his turn came up quickly, so he couldn't stop to chat. :wink: 8)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LMAO, Wasions! Lynn and I both cracked up at your story! Can just see the expression on that guy's face: "Oh, s***! Those old geezers had their Wheaties this mornin'!" :lol:

Thanks for sharing!
Bryna (the future geezer scooter rider)

·
Registered
80 Posts
We were getting a bit to eat at Subway in Van Horn, Tx when a young man came in and asked us if those were out bikes outside. We said yes and he said, "Wow, what is that Silver one, a scooter on Serriods?"

Actually, we got a lot more comments and questions about Angel's Burgy than about my GoldWing on our 10K mile summer trip. :lol:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Couple of stories from yesterday's ride:

First, a little 20-lb white terrier type dog. I'm waiting at a stoplight, the dog is on the other side of the street. A motorcycle from the other side of the street stops at the other side next to the dog, makes a right, end of story. Light changes, I make a left, dog sees my bike and starts chasing me!! Its sad if a dog can tell the difference between a M/C and a Scooter.

Next, I'm at another light and this elderly lady pulls up in a humungous Suburban. Rolls down the window and says "is that electric AND gas?". I smiled and said "just gas".

- Chuck

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Chuck wrote
Its sad if a dog can tell the difference between a M/C and a Scooter.
It's all in your point of view
Give a dog steak or dog meat he takes the steak every time,
so that little white terrier just had good taste that's all.
nothing sad about that. :lol:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Invincsum said:
...Was putting a couple of sodas in the Burgie "trunk" when an older couple walked by. ...They stopped to look. "Ooh, you've got a secret compartment!" the man said....
I get stuff like that a lot. Frequently on the way to work I stop at McDonald's or Taco Bell for something to take with me. I always say, "This will be to go. I'll have a ..." Almost invariably they'll say, "For here?" and I'll say, "No. To go." They'll look at me carrying my helmet, look out the window at my 650 with no visible saddlebags or dangling drink holders and say "Did you say 'For here'?" :x

Even if I planned on riding down the street on a naked Norton, holding the bag in my teeth and balancing the drinks on my head, "To go" means "To go"! :roll:

But I do get a kick out of people watching me open the trunk and put the stuff in. I put the drinks against the forward bulkhead (the sloping floor keeps them in place even when accelerating) and put in the food bag (and usually adjust my spare jacket) to secure everything. Haven't spilled a drop yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
On Sunday I rode down to Baltimore, about 65 miles from my home. I know this bagel shop there and they have tables out front. I got a parking spot right in front went inside to get my breakfast and came out to sit and read the paper as I ate.
My jacket was on the back of my chair so there was no way to know that I was the owner of the scooter parked in front.
Some of the comments I heard were hilarious. Two younger couples walked around and around my bike and they were arguing if it was a motorcycle or a scooter. I didn't say a word just smiled. Two other guys looked to be in their twenties were guessing how fast it would go. One thought it could do no more than 20 or 30 mph and the other said it looked like it could do more. I couldn't stay out of the conversation so I piped up that it would cruise at 75 with no problem. The look on their faces was priceless. :lol:

Alan

·
Registered
857 Posts
Chuck807 - what do you expect a dog to do when you have a name like "Chuck"? Geesh, at least your name isn't "Steak" or all the dogs would be chasing you.

I've had similar instances but the classic one was when a huge, jacked up 4x4 pulled up next to me at a light. He literally looked way down at me and asked if it was electric or gas - I said gas. He asked how fast it would go. I said about 100. He said "no way." I smiled and said it accelerates quite well too and would he like a demonstration? He laughed, but when the light turned green, I think all four wheels were spinning as he took off. As I didn't know we were "racing" and had never done so in my life, it took me a minute to "take off." I very easily blew by him within about 2 blocks, smiling all the way. At the next light, he simply turned and drove away.

Oh, and don't tell my wife about this...

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I own a manufactured home community in Ohio. We have over 200 homes. I was driving in my Tahoe around the park and spotted two 650 Burgmans visiting one of the residents. The Black 650 was made into a trike. The Blue has custom chrome from Germany. I had to stop and talk to the owner's. I snapped a couple of pics (See Gallery) I then showed them my Corbin seat that had just arrived, but not installed yet. Really nice people who had not heard of the website yet. I gave them the info and hopefully they will join soon!

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
*Copied from one of my older posts.*

Last night I was driving to Nellis AFB for a midnght shift. I was in the far right lane of 3 lanes. Ahead it merges to 2 lanes. To the left of me was an older "red neck" pickup truck. Light turns green and I pop it up to 4k rpm and hold it. The truck barks its tires and is determined to not let me scoot out ahead of him. So I pop the power button and crank the handle. Whoosh....7k rpm and 87mph on a 45 mph road. I turned left into the next lane. So he comes up next to me at the next light with window down. He yells "What the #$%@# was that. That aint no scooter! What the hell you got under the hood?" So I told him. he replies. "Thats pretty **** tight..You blew me away back there. Cool Dude".

:lol:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
flintbobbi said:
...I've had similar instances but the classic one was when a huge, jacked up 4x4 pulled up next to me at a light....when the light turned green, I think all four wheels were spinning as he took off....I very easily blew by him within about 2 blocks, smiling all the way. At the next light, he simply turned and drove away. ...
Yeah, I had a similar experience.

Copied from the "Stigma" thread:

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 22:27 22 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I was sitting at a stop light when a big Dodge Ram pickup, the one with the Hemi, pulled up beside me. I heard this high pitched voice say "Ya wanna race?" and I looked over and saw this babyfaced kid, about 16 or 17, sitting there with his girl friend snuggled up next to him, and they were both laughing.

I raised my chinguard and looked him square in the eye and said "You'd lose." He quit laughing and looked at me incredulously and said "I don't think so!"

Not using the best judgement in the world I said "20 bucks says I can get to the next light before you do" and he said "You're on."

He started revving his engine and I could see that he was watching the signal for the cross traffic. As soon as their light turned red he hit it. I knew that at that light the oncoming traffic got the light first so I just sat there. He was several feet into the intersection before he got on the brakes, then had to back up. He didn't even look at me, but he did keep revving his engine.

I pushed the "Power" button and got ready to rock. The light turned green and we were off! Half way through the intersection I was already ahead of him. After a dozen yards he had to shift, and it was all over from there. Halfway to the next light I had already reached the maximum posted speed and he was only half as far as me, so I backed off.

When he caught up to me at the light he said "What kind of scooter is that?!" I told him I'd tell him all about it when we got to the parking lot at the store up ahead and he gave me my $20. When the light turned green he made a quick left and that's the last I saw of him.

Something tells me he won't be so quick to judge bikes on appearances and "labels" (like "scooter") in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts